Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from NY. Got a '15 to deliver food with.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Maybe for the manual. Not so sure about the CVT. Even with highway I am averaging 38MPG or so. 28 seems unusually low if you are actually calculating it by hand. The computer for me in my heavy city commute says crazy low numbers but I average much better in reality.
    There is no other car with a JATCO CVT unit, that is more reliable. Well, maybe the new Suzuki Swift but we know next to nothing about it on this forum. Check out the crying on Spark, Versas, Jeep Compass, Sentras, Altimas boards. Its unbelievable. Fummins has already proved the CVT version can hit over 175k miles. Thats the gold standard for todays automatic transmissions, regular auto, DCT, or CVT. If I can get 175k miles out of my CVT, thats a win on my investment. The Mirage 5speed will even go further, just like any 5speed will go further. Question to my manual brothers, if you had to drive a Jatco CVT powered vehicle and trust it to get over 175k miles, which car would you choose? Nissan, Mitsu, Subaru, or Jeep?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Question to my manual brothers, if you had to drive a Jatco CVT powered vehicle and trust it to get over 175k miles, which car would you choose? Nissan, Mitsu, Subaru, or Jeep?
    Oh god, even if a rock hit my head @ 100mph and dropped me 50 IQ points it would be a Mitsubishi without question.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is no other car with a JATCO CVT unit, that is more reliable. Well, maybe the new Suzuki Swift but we know next to nothing about it on this forum. Check out the crying on Spark, Versas, Jeep Compass, Sentras, Altimas boards. Its unbelievable. Fummins has already proved the CVT version can hit over 175k miles. Thats the gold standard for todays automatic transmissions, regular auto, DCT, or CVT. If I can get 175k miles out of my CVT, thats a win on my investment. The Mirage 5speed will even go further, just like any 5speed will go further. Question to my manual brothers, if you had to drive a Jatco CVT powered vehicle and trust it to get over 175k miles, which car would you choose? Nissan, Mitsu, Subaru, or Jeep?
    The problem is a 20+ year old jeep with a normal Automatic will go over 200k no problem. Yea this is good compared to other CVT but still not good compared to manual or automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I dont think theres that many 20 year Jeeps with the same transmissions on the roads lol. Now your right, the old school Toyota 4 speed autos were reliable to hit 250k miles. I believe deeply, that the Ford Dual Clutch transmission is way less reliable than a JATCO CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont think theres that many 20 year Jeeps with the same transmissions on the roads lol. Now your right, the old school Toyota 4 speed autos were reliable to hit 250k miles. I believe deeply, that the Ford Dual Clutch transmission is way less reliable than a JATCO CVT.
    My last one was at 205k with 0 transmission work done and no problems. I see them all the time. I will agree ford is less reliable in almost all cases. Keep your eyes open and you will see WJs all the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

I had an 86 Comanche and 86 wagoner(fancy Cherokee) with well over 350k km/220k miles
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow I totally forgot I posted this lol. My bad guys. It's a 5 spd. And calculating it manually I get 32 with 90% of it delivering/Citi driving.. I had summer tires on. Last week i got snows on the front. Can only manage 39 highway thoigh.. all in all car holding up well. Small clunk up front though. Possible ball joint/tie rod.
    I wish I could have done some rust proofing before winter. 🤔🤔🤔

That's okay, we moved on to talking about jeep transmissions.

But yeah, I maintain a fleet of Mirages used for car part deliveries. They hold up great. Highest has 430k km/267k miles. Mostly highway miles but used in town for the last year. Most of the cars are used mainly in town and hold up fine as well, a few cvt's,starters,bent wheels and problems caused by drivers(crashing into things). And a few electrical glitches that took a bit to track down, otherwise they're relatively trouble free compared to the other cars in the fleet. Not one Mirage leaks any oil either and all have never had the engine opened up.

I bought one a week ago and trying to see what I can get for fuel economy. So far it looks like I'm doing slightly better than you with 35mpg avg on my first short fillup.
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-03-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Minimitsu: do you let the car idle when you're bringing the deliveries to the customers? (Every single delivery driver I've ever seen does this.) You'll save a decent amout of gas if you shut it off when you're stopped.

I'd love to do a ride-along with a delivery driver to offer eco-driving tips. (I have coached many people but never a commercial driver.)

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make in city driving is rushing into situations where you know you're going to have to stop anyway. It doesn't get you there any faster, wastes a ton of gas, and is harder on the brakes. See a stop ahead - get off the power ASAP. Coasting toward the stop in gear uses zero fuel (above the deceleration fuel cut-off threshold RPM... not sure in the Mirage, but prob around 1500).

Aside from that, get into top gear ASAP once you're at "cruising speed". I realize you're not "cruising" much in city driving, but I regularly get into 5th gear in town. Need more power? Downshift!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-06-2019)

Lookup peoples economy on fuelly, some people in the philippines get terrible mileage! I assume from idling in gridlock traffic?

Mirage videos: