Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fancy Metro (Mirage #1) :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Fancy Metro (Mirage #1)
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE
    silver
    manual

"AS-IS special" I got at a North Toronto Toyota dealer with 145,000 km on the clock (90k miles).

Came with a clean Carproof report, service history from the Mitsu dealer next door (one owner, relatively well maintained).

It's so much nicer to drive than the 2000 Metro winter beater it replaces!

Other nicknames considered: Lifestyle Inflation, Metro DeVille, Silver Poupon, Mirage #1 of N

New, this car cost $15,898 + $1450 mandatory freight charge = $17,348. With taxes: $19,603. Doesn't include unknown dealer charges. Basically, $20k out the door.

Details

Whoopsie-daisy on the front left corner contributed to its low, low price. Several other misc scuffs & chips in the paint around the car.

So, so dirty. The Toyota dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it.

•  

Busted antenna, so the radio reception isn't very good right now.

•  

Looks like it still has the original battery.

•  

Cadillac soft! So soft.

•  

Came with Dunlop WinterMaxx snow tires 165/65r14 size and lots of tread. Looks like the wheels have never been cleaned - the finish is stained from all the brake dust!

Comments: 97 / Views: 64651
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I once "broke up" with a mechanic who started getting extra picky over safety inspections. He made me replace front pads that were only 60% worn -- even when he knew I'd be doing the work, so there was nothing in it for him to make that call. There are regs that describe minimum specs, but some mechanics want more.
    There are serious jerks out there. I had one mech do a fail because there was rust on the brake lines of a 10 year old car. When pushed for how much rust was allowable he tore up the paperwork in front of me and the tower manager gave me a refund. I never shopped there again, not even for a 10 cent bolt.

Good luck with your inspection!!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I'm on good terms with the new guy. When I called to make the appointment, he asked, "you buying or selling?" That's a good sign.

--------------

The shoes on the right side were more worn... less than 1/2 mm left on one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It makes a difference. When you're buying the techs tend to give you more leeway. Especially if it appears you have some car skills and don't want to die a horrible death in a flaming crash.

ETA: wait, what? 1/2 mm? Well, that could be anything from 50,000 miles for a highway guy or 2-3 days for a insane city driver. I suspect you're neither so better to replace.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Stopping on less than a dime!

Name:  2019-11-19 18.42.53.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  50.6 KB

This was the worst one.

It's all back together and ready for inspection tomorrow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    wow, that's razor thin!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I'm thinking those rear brakes might have been original. The dust caps were corroded in place and had no pry marks on them.

They do now!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's an insane number of miles if they are original linings!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    At least you didn't grind one of your brake drums out...like I did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yup, caught just in time! Haha that is really thin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

barely legal

She's legal! Passed inspection! *

Name:  safety-certification.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  55.5 KB

My mechanic knows I like efficient cars, and we always have good conversations when I'm there. I appreciate that he also likes to buy & drive somewhat oddball cars (currently driving a 70's Ford pickup body that he swapped onto a Crown Vic chassis/drivetrain). He particularly loves joking about the streamlining mods that inevitably show up on all my cars.

When I described the circumstances leading to the Mirage being dumped into the "AS-IS Value Lot" at the Toyota dealer where it was traded -- high kilometers, slight body damage, really dirty interior, manual transmission and low price -- he replied, "just the way we like 'em!"

* He did catch one problem that I sort of knew about, but it's worse than I thought: I knew the left headlight housing had a broken upper mounting tab -- casualty of the love tap that dented the fender and scuffed the bumper. But he discovered that ALL the mounting tabs are broken! The headlight housing is free floating - the light is held in place by the bumper cover and the bulb wires!

He issued the paperwork knowing full well I was going to fix this anyway. Besides, until then, the headlight still works, and it's generally pointed in the right direction.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-20-2019),Fummins (11-20-2019),inuvik (11-20-2019)