Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fancy Metro (Mirage #1) :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Fancy Metro (Mirage #1)
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE
    silver
    manual

"AS-IS special" I got at a North Toronto Toyota dealer with 145,000 km on the clock (90k miles).

Came with a clean Carproof report, service history from the Mitsu dealer next door (one owner, relatively well maintained).

It's so much nicer to drive than the 2000 Metro winter beater it replaces!

Other nicknames considered: Lifestyle Inflation, Metro DeVille, Silver Poupon, Mirage #1 of N

New, this car cost $15,898 + $1450 mandatory freight charge = $17,348. With taxes: $19,603. Doesn't include unknown dealer charges. Basically, $20k out the door.

Details

Whoopsie-daisy on the front left corner contributed to its low, low price. Several other misc scuffs & chips in the paint around the car.

So, so dirty. The Toyota dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it.

•  

Busted antenna, so the radio reception isn't very good right now.

•  

Looks like it still has the original battery.

•  

Cadillac soft! So soft.

•  

Came with Dunlop WinterMaxx snow tires 165/65r14 size and lots of tread. Looks like the wheels have never been cleaned - the finish is stained from all the brake dust!

Comments: 97 / Views: 65257
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey MetroMPG do you think you'll cover the undercarriage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yes, AND the overcarriage!

The Mirage is actually going to be relatively easy to do more underbody streamlining because the existing plastic aero panels and the plastic rocker skirts can serve as mounting points. I don't like drilling into metal to do mods -- that's just an invitation for rust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

FYI, I never got a response from my e-mail to the original owner. That said, I know it wasn't her primary e-mail address, so who knows how often it gets checked.

Last attempt: I'm going to send an actual snail mail letter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

aeroplast

Name:  side-skirt-m.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  58.3 KB

C.A.D. = Cardboard Aided Design

Looks like someone needs a roll of duct tape for christmas!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-11-2019)

Tuck tape is the best!

I wish they made it in black.

But grey would blend in. Red does give it the race car look.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Coro front air dam

Name:  air-dam-coro-front.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  46.2 KB

(Also note the high-quality seam tape job.

For people who bother to do grille blocking: seal around your lights! Some manufacturers (eg. Mercedes) make a point of sealing these areas with gaskets for improved aero.)

Name:  air-dam-coro-side.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  34.8 KB

Another downside of the Mirage's Cadillac-soft suspension: you're gonna scrape your air dam on a lot more dips & bumps than on a car with same front clearance but firmer suspenders.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much mileage increases have you seen?

I can't tell you exactly. All I can say is:

- So far each tank has been slightly better than the previous tank (I'm just about to do my 3rd measured fill-up). But that's influenced by weather & driving style too.

- The current tank will be my best yet, going by the trip odometer reading when the fuel gauge got down to the last bar. I have in place all the mods I tested here:

Thread: Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

^ But some of the above mods are more extensive this time, eg. deeper air dam; larger Kammback; both (instead of just 1) exterior mirrors replaced with inside-mounted convex mirrors.

- Plus there are additional mods not included in the above group: higher PSI; full wheel discs; rear wheel skirts; rocker skirts; radio antenna delete (relocated inside); ignition kill switch; resistive heater disabled; warm air intake.

So, definitely the gains are more than 4.5%. How much higher is anyone's guess without A-B-A testing, but I wouldn't expect much more than about 10% total.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-10-2020)