Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fancy Metro (Mirage #1) :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Fancy Metro (Mirage #1)
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE
    silver
    manual

"AS-IS special" I got at a North Toronto Toyota dealer with 145,000 km on the clock (90k miles).

Came with a clean Carproof report, service history from the Mitsu dealer next door (one owner, relatively well maintained).

It's so much nicer to drive than the 2000 Metro winter beater it replaces!

Other nicknames considered: Lifestyle Inflation, Metro DeVille, Silver Poupon, Mirage #1 of N

New, this car cost $15,898 + $1450 mandatory freight charge = $17,348. With taxes: $19,603. Doesn't include unknown dealer charges. Basically, $20k out the door.

Details

Whoopsie-daisy on the front left corner contributed to its low, low price. Several other misc scuffs & chips in the paint around the car.

So, so dirty. The Toyota dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it.

•  

Busted antenna, so the radio reception isn't very good right now.

•  

Looks like it still has the original battery.

•  

Cadillac soft! So soft.

•  

Came with Dunlop WinterMaxx snow tires 165/65r14 size and lots of tread. Looks like the wheels have never been cleaned - the finish is stained from all the brake dust!

Comments: 97 / Views: 64641
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Your brake pictures are broked.

Nice to see the Fancy Metro getting some TLC. It looks like the previous owner neglected it a bit.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm surprised to find locking lugnuts there. The rest of the lugnuts look like mine - corroded, but still functional.

I've been interested in these as a replacement:

They don't cost a whole lot more than regular lug nuts and the spline shape sorta serves as a theft deterrent.

What other alternatives are there?

Edit: out of curiosity, I wanted to compare the price of the 20 lug kit against the 16 lug kit and I found the 20 lug kit is cheaper.

Gorilla Automotive 21132HT Small Diameter Acorn Chrome 4 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Pack Of 16 currently $24.10 on Amazon

Gorilla Automotive 21133HT Small Diameter Acorn Chrome 5 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Pack Of 20 is currently $18.23 on Amazon.

Lower cost and some spares to boot!
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-17-2019 at 10:50 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm surprised to find locking lugnuts there.
    I was extra surprised to find the lock key with the spare tire! Unfortunately, they didn't keep the original lugnuts, or I would have put them back on.

I like that splined version better than what I have. My key doesn't have much depth - it might be easy to strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Your brake pictures are broked.
    Weird. Do you get the image if you click the link?

Ordering rear shoes today.

And I'm taking FM on a little trip to go cross-country skiing. I'm looking forward to the drive. I don't think I ever said that about my crapcan winter beater Metro!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    When I click the link I get an invalid attachment error. Your brake drum pic works fine. Just the post about the front brakes are bad.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I bought the 20 lug set because, yep, they were cheaper. My advice is to give them a liberal coating of a sealer, like Nufinish before installing them. It will add ages before any pitting or rust shows up.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice car, good job on the brakes.

So when the next cheap 5MT or CVT, I'm open to either, materializes I can take a run at it since you have yours now?

Or are you already contemplating getting a second? LOL

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    (Reserving this post)
    Nice Mirage Metro MPG. I like your name Metro DeVille: the soft ride makes the Mirage feel bigger. I would go with Mirage DeVille. And the Mirage interior's style feels very upscale.

Got a few odds and ends to fix eh. Whatever it's fun. Like your radio antenna might be hard to replace. I am glad you are liking your new Mirage. Right on it's a manual tranny.

One thing MetroMPG, let us know how you do with aluminum rim cleaning. I bought identical used rims like you got, off someone on Kijiji. I gotta clean them up in the spring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    the soft ride makes the Mirage feel bigger.
    Definitely. I forgot how hilarious the suspension is: I save fuel in the lowered Metro & Miata by carrying lots of momentum through the curves, and waste it by slowing down for bumps. The Mirage is the opposite.

One thing MetroMPG, let us know how you do with aluminum rim cleaning. I bought identical used rims like you got, off someone on Kijiji. I gotta clean them up in the spring.
    Yeah, these are badly stained by brake dust. I have cleaned the dust off, but the finish was yellowed underneath. You need a very strong cleaner. I think I've used oven cleaner on rims this bad before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So when the next cheap 5MT or CVT, I'm open to either, materializes I can take a run at it since you have yours now?

Or are you already contemplating getting a second? LOL
    Go for it!

The honest truth is I'd prefer a base model (lighter, simpler, less stuff to break). But I'm hanging on to this one for the foreseeable future.

The only feature I'd truly miss by going with a base model would be cruise control, and Tim has us covered with his kit. I probably should have bought that private sale Kermit green base Mirage in Ottawa in the spring - half the kms, slight body damage, $2700 asking price -- probably could've negotiated down to the same price as this one. And green's my favourite colour on these cars. Next time!

====

Rear brakes came in at the parts store. I guess I have a busy evening ahead.

Mechanical/safety inspection is scheduled for Wednesday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha - I already found that thread and was on my way to Crappy Tire getting a 30 mm socket when you posted.

I think I'm going to do the rears too. ~1 mm of material left:

Attachment 15963
    I'm 99% sure the 30mm is also used on a Caravan. My Dad and I must have done 20 axles, CVT boots, bearings and other crap on Caravans during the 90's.

I'd like to see the place that's going to certify it fail the brakes.

I once "broke up" with a mechanic who started getting extra picky over safety inspections. He made me replace front pads that were only 60% worn -- even when he knew I'd be doing the work, so there was nothing in it for him to make that call. There are regs that describe minimum specs, but some mechanics want more.