Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Fancy Metro (Mirage #1) :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Fancy Metro (Mirage #1)
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE
    silver
    manual

"AS-IS special" I got at a North Toronto Toyota dealer with 145,000 km on the clock (90k miles).

Came with a clean Carproof report, service history from the Mitsu dealer next door (one owner, relatively well maintained).

It's so much nicer to drive than the 2000 Metro winter beater it replaces!

Other nicknames considered: Lifestyle Inflation, Metro DeVille, Silver Poupon, Mirage #1 of N

New, this car cost $15,898 + $1450 mandatory freight charge = $17,348. With taxes: $19,603. Doesn't include unknown dealer charges. Basically, $20k out the door.

Details

Whoopsie-daisy on the front left corner contributed to its low, low price. Several other misc scuffs & chips in the paint around the car.

So, so dirty. The Toyota dealer didn't even bother vacuuming it.

•  

Busted antenna, so the radio reception isn't very good right now.

•  

Looks like it still has the original battery.

•  

Cadillac soft! So soft.

•  

Came with Dunlop WinterMaxx snow tires 165/65r14 size and lots of tread. Looks like the wheels have never been cleaned - the finish is stained from all the brake dust!

Comments: 97 / Views: 64661

Sayonara Mirage #1

Last pic of the car, being driven away by its new owners....

Name:  good-bye.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  100.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-12-2020)

Next.....
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Last pic of the car, being driven away by its new owners....

Name:  good-bye.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  100.8 KB
    Hopefully, they're happy & you're happy!

Looks like slim pickings out there in kijijiland for another cheap 5 speed Mirage hey? This seems to be the cheapest 5 speed but it's another cadillac edition. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...1888?undefined
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mark: everybody's happy. They even have summer tires (185's) from their written-off Accent that they're going to put on the car. (I sold the Mirage with the winters still on it - it didn't come with summers.)

Fummins: too funny - you read my mind! I'm going to go take a look at that one. Of course they're completely mental asking $5k+, which is why it's been sitting on their lot since last July. They know this - they have it listed on multiple sites, one asking price was dropped to $3450. If it checks out, we'll see how badly they really want to keep it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mark: everybody's happy. They even have summer tires (185's) from their written-off Accent that they're going to put on the car. (I sold the Mirage with the winters still on it - it didn't come with summers.)

Fummins: too funny - you read my mind! I'm going to go take a look at that one. Of course they're completely mental asking $5k+, which is why it's been sitting on their lot since last July. They know this - they have it listed on multiple sites, one asking price was dropped to $3450. If it checks out, we'll see how badly they really want to keep it.
    Darin,

Since a base level Mirage (with no A/C) disappeared in Canada in 2020, are there any good deals on 2019 base level Mirages left there?

This is just hypothetical - If you bought a brand new discounted 2019 base model Mirage, how many decades would it last you?

I know guys like Fummins & Eggman like to give me a hard time about liking base model vehicles, but I am really drawn to them. I like buying brand new beater cars, when the price is really right. I know the car has been taken care of from day one. I am not a mechanic like Fummins. Changing out a clutch or transmission doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I would rather pay a little extra up front & know exactly what I have than gamble on a high mileage vehicle that someone may or may not have taken care of.

Thus, when my very young family (actually my wife was pregnant with our first child at the time) needed a second vehicle, I was drawn to a 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) for $5,300 brand new. Even for 1990, $5,300 was cheap for a brand new car. That turned out to be one tough little car that served me well for 14 years. Selling it was one of the dumbest car moves I have ever done. I should have drove it for another 10 years, but that's hindsight. I would buy another new Festiva in an instant, & I don't say that about most vehicles I have owned.

Likewise, Mirages selling for under $9,000 in the States in 2017 caught my attention. Getting a Mirage for less than $10,000 OTD made me take note of the Mirage for the first time. I had zero interest in the car before that. Once I started looking at European reviews and this forum, I became even more interested.

Thus, I harp on Mitsubishi adding more & more features to their base level Mirage, because it took a car that was appealing to me & made it less appealing. I don't see the point of this? If those newly added standard features were important to me, I could already buy one of the 3 to 4 upper trim levels instead. What's the point of changing your base model? Are they bringing more new Mitsubishi customers in or taking away from their upper trim level sales?

Likewise, has the Eclipse Cross brought in lots of new Mitsubishi customers or just taken away some of their Outlander & Outlander Sport sales?

Adding a small pickup truck is what would put Mitsubishi back on the North American road map with buyers. I say that even though I have very little interest in owning a pickup truck. My $387 4'x8' trailer that I bought @ Walmart in 1994 still does what I would need a pickup truck to do. I may get a new trailer some day. That's way cheaper than buying even a good used pickup truck. Even if I owned a pickup truck, I would still need a trailer to haul my compact tractor & other equipment.

Back to my main point - Do discounted 2019 base model Mirages exist in Canada, & how long would a car like that last you? Sales & low financing may be at an all-time low coming out of this pandemic period. Just a thought! A thought anyone thinking of buying a Mirage may want to consider.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-14-2020),MetroMPG (05-14-2020)

This is just hypothetical - If you bought a brand new discounted 2019 base model Mirage, how many decades would it last you?
    Buy a brand new $10k Mirage? Mark, you overestimate my income level.

But those are some good thoughts.

Still, a new car doesn't really make sense for me, because (A) I don't drive a lot (about 10-14k km a year), and because (B) I split that driving between summer & winter vehicles (so that's only 5-7k km per car per year). (Sometimes I even split the annual driving three ways: winter beater / spring-midsummer beater / midsummer-autumn beater.)

So even if I buy (and keep!) a 6-year old $3k Mirage with 150,000 km, it would arguably outlast the average person's brand new one. EG: starting at 150,000 km and adding 7k a year gets me to 290k kms after 20 years of driving. A typical owner's odometer (20k km/yr) is going to pass mine in year 13, and by year 20 they'll have 400k on the clock.

(Insert a Fummins joke about how no Ontario Mirage can last that long, because rust. Which is probably true.)

It looks like the cheapest new Mirage you can get in Canada is around $12.2k + 13% tax in Ontario = $13.8k + stealer fees. Javensbukan says they're offering $1700 rebates at a Halifax dealership, but that's on "select models", probably not the base car. I'm still not seeing any national rebates on Mitsu's corporate site. Just payment deferrals & financing deals.

EDIT! Doh - I just saw you said leftover base 2019. I still bet they're not a lot less than 2020's.

Having said all that... I went Mirage shopping this morning! I looked at the one Fummins linked above in Ottawa.

It could be a good buy for someone looking for a keeper -- they'll do $3k + tax = $3400 "as-is". But that's a bit more than I'm willing to gamble on a Cadillac trim Luxo Brougham Mirage, considering I'd flip it next spring. I'd prefer a bit more of a buffer than that, allowing for repairs & inspection fees, and time invested.

^ A week ago, the sales manager and I were a couple of hundred dollars apart on this Mirage.

And a week later, I'm slightly surprised they didn't contact me to see if I'm still interested. No followup.

They must really like looking at it, considering it's been sitting on their lot since last July. And they just reposted the ad at $5600. I think there's a communication problem between the sales guy and the person posting the ads.

I just put my crappy 2000 Chevy Metro on the road. Well, almost... the alternator is seized, and the belt broke.