Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonably Priced Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Reasonably Priced Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE
    White
    Cvt

37k Km, aftermarket cruise(rostra?), compustart(disconnected), weather tech floor mats, stock tires.

Details

Removed rear emblems.

Stock black/purple heated seats, 6 way drivers.

•  

Stock

•  

Block heater of some kind.

•  

Stock

•  

Stock aluminum wheels and Dunlopís.

Comments: 181 / Views: 14321
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a theory on the siping:

If they had full-depth siping, those tires would CHUNK! You'd have pretty tall, thin slivers of unsupported rubber. It wouldn't be pretty. Would probably have about 10x worse responsiveness than that kind of tire already has. "Tread squirm", they call it.

So... if you put a new set of cheap "snow tires" like that on the car at the beginning of winter... maybe by late spring the siping will be gone. But, so will the snow! You'll be good through the spring rainy season. If you're doing it right (driving it like you stole it), you'll be at competition depth by summer. And then you'll be ready for a fresh set at the beginning of the next winter!

What? Y'all don't buy tires every year? (I'm an autocrosser, I tend to buy a set of tires every 8-11 months on average)

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’m not exactly sure wtf the sticker means, but I’m guessing I’ll get c level fuel economy and horrible traction in the rain?
    Isn't that a European tire sticker?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    My cheapo tires showed up early. Not sure when Iíll mount them, I was gonna bring my wheels off the car to work with the armada tomorrow but it sold after being on kijiji for less than a day. Bye gas pig! Attachment 16346
    First impressions of tire: cheap but look better than old stock tires. Attachment 16344Attachment 16345 the siping isnít very deep. Iím not exactly sure wtf the sticker means, but Iím guessing Iíll get c level fuel economy and horrible traction in the rain?
    My Barrums gave the same rating and after 2000k plus miles they've broken in quite nicely. Im still avg 38 mpg combined with absolutely no hypermilling or trying. My all seasons have that same depth or close, I thought it was robust? Im learning everything from you guys about cars, so a sincere thank you!

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    My cheapo tires showed up early. Not sure when Iíll mount them, I was gonna bring my wheels off the car to work with the armada tomorrow but it sold after being on kijiji for less than a day. Bye gas pig! Attachment 16346
    First impressions of tire: cheap but look better than old stock tires. Attachment 16344Attachment 16345 the siping isnít very deep. Iím not exactly sure wtf the sticker means, but Iím guessing Iíll get c level fuel economy and horrible traction in the rain?
    Ill bet you'll get better traction in the rain than you think, grip and handling has been night and day difference for me since I made my switch. I do miss the extra $ the 165s saved me at the pump though.

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,331 Posts
    Just as a comparison, hereís a blizzak thatís been used for 3-4 winters now. Attachment 16347
    My mom says I'm cool

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (12-10-2019)

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    Swapped tires this morning. Did some weighing too.
    Stock tire alum wheel
    Attachment 16402
    175/65r14 cheapo rotella tires on stock alum wheel
    Attachment 16403
    Stock steel with stock Dunlop didn’t measure tread but way less than other tires
    Attachment 16404
    And just stock aluminum wheel. For the less observation.
    Attachment 16405
    I’ll weigh a steel wheel another day.
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-14-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    My mom says I'm cool

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Hey Fummins that alloy rim is 13 medieval pounds?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think a 3 lb. hit on weight is a fair trade for the winter tires you got. I like the pattern on them, they look good for self cleaning. My only complaint with my Walmart Nexens is they are a little noisy.

Today is another snow and ICE storm in Niagara Falls. Bad, bad roads but again my TC doesn't engage unless I really put my foot into it. I'm still impressed with the tire performance.

On another front, I still don't have my winters mounted on my '14. Jeez, I'm really procrastinating with that Mirage. I'll slip by Walmart this week. They charge $20 tax in to swap tires. They wash and bag the tires they take off. Not a bad touch.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    Those cheapo winter tires are working pretty good. Glad I got them. The city was using calcium chloride on the roads last year and everyone hated it. It made the roads a sloppy mess, ate concrete floors, rusted cars etc.... so this year it’s looking like they didn’t nothing with most roads so most are literally glare ice. It’s unreal. The slow, light underpowered mirage shines in these conditions. Can pull away from intersections quicker than anything else Fwd I’ve owned. Could only be better with studded tires or chains.

Fuel Economy took a huge dump lately. Last tank was 33mpg, previous one was 38.8mpg.
    My mom says I'm cool

Country
    North Korea
    Thanks
    I didnt think my Mirage would do well with all season tires and icy roads. Good to hear otherwise!