Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: A cheap stick shift Mirage (or maybe an automatic)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I bought a Mirage so that I wouldn't have to be concerned about buying another vehicle for 10 years.
    I'm with Mark on this one, Dodge Aries K. It's one thing buying winter beater used cars, refurbishing them, getting rid of them, you're talking about small dollars. Buying and selling expensive brand-new vehicles every year..you have to be very careful with.

If I keep my 2014 Mirage til 2024 and beyond, the car becomes pretty economical. My plan is keep my Mirage as an eventual collector car and then have something else to drive. Leaning towards late-model Buick.

Leasing makes sense if you plan on switching new cars often. Like real estate it pays to stay put.

Sorry if I seem like a cheapskate, but this is the Mitsubishi Mirage Forum

Last edited by dspace9; 11-25-2019 at 03:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha no I normally don't sell new stuff. However, I didn't lose a cent on my first Mirage when I got the Outlander Sport nor on one of the Corolla hatchbacks when I swapped that for my Tacoma. But... when it comes to the two blue Corollas I had... that was a mess and a half... long story short emotions got involved about something I was passionate about and the dealer (Elgin Toyota... I hate that place) totally screwed that up something awful so it was worth the monetary loss to me to be out of that situation. Plus, the money from that whole catastrophe went towards paying off other debts and put a nice down payment on the new Mirage. That and holy crap insurance for a new Corolla hatchback is EXPENSIVE!

At least I can say after owning like... over 400 vehicles of various degrees of destroyed from absolute junk parts cars to brand new vehicles, I think I've lost money maybe... 20 times? Maybe less than that. Plus I've kept many many many old K based Chryslers out of the junkyard and that's important to me that more people get to enjoy them.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I think I've lost money maybe... 20 times? Maybe less than that. Plus I've kept many many many old K based Chryslers out of the junkyard and that's important to me that more people get to enjoy them.
    That's pretty good odds. I do tend to keep my vehicles a bit longer, owning 3 cars total since 2000. I love cars, and I like your passion for K cars.

Myself I am looking into getting into fixing up old Triumphs, MG's maybe. Keep the classics on the road.

Anyways I get it too with frustrating dealerships. I won't get into it, but my 2014 Mirage is having some issues with the fuel Filler line is leaking exhaust a bit, and causing a sensor to go off.

It's still not fixed, and my local Mitsu dealer is giving me the runaround. I don't want to get into it for sake of getting off track, but I love my Mirage but it is not perfect either. I owe $3500 bucks on her now, so I figure keep on truckin' with the little car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah... a bad dealer really can sour things. I took a loss on my perfect 2019 Corolla XSE hatch because I really wanted a stick one of the same car. The dealer was supposed to install the optional accessory rear spoiler and the side mouldings. So they did okay with the side mouldings but put the friggin spoiler on CROOKED. Then the car had to go to a body shop to have it redone which you damn well know couldn't be done properly so I figured they probably just enlarged the holes and glued the thing on. In the process, they scratched the front fender so it had to go back again to get repaired somehow... and then they curbed one of the (very expensive to replace) alloy wheels which I never fixed. Between all that stuff, it sat in my garage and would just piss me off when I would see it. Final straw was when the garbage ass tenant totally destroyed my rental house so I knew that was going to be a nightmare and wanted to not make the payments or insurance payment on it anymore (and I could use the excess money coming back from selling it to pay off other debts) so all said and done that Corolla fiasco cost me probably... ugh... almost 7 grand between the loss I took from trading in the paid off one for the stick one and then selling the stick one to another dealer. I didn't even get to enjoy the car ONCE... all the driving it did was to go back to get fixed from the dealer screwing it up.

Speaking of crap dealers, I called Mad City no less than 8 times trying to find out what they had for used Mirages. The sales lady never called me back and nobody else could apparently help me. I got some free oil change coupons for up there which I'll use (the service manager is actually a really stand up dude) but if anyone wants to see me go on an absolute tyrade against the sales people come on down for a free show. I mean, I did buy two cars there... you'd think they'd answer my calls and sell me more stuff but I guess not since they can't screw me over on their "second chance" GFY loans they pride themselves in for taking advantage of people.

Speaking of K cars...
    Name:  1981 Plymouth Reliant.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  98.8 KB

This is my new passion project. An original year 1981 Plymouth Reliant K station wagon! It has the Mitsubishi 2.6L 4 cylinder engine and under 100,000 miles on it. Bought it for $400... saved it from death. I was after this thing for over 8 years... the morons who had it neglected the **** out of it and it's been sitting for the past 5 years. Finally since Wisconsin is raising all their plate fees they decided to stop paying for a sticker for a dead car to sit and sit so they let it go. I've already redone the whole front braking system, the master cylinder, water pump, and have diagnosed a bunch of messed up issues it has... but it's my winter time project so I'm hoping to have all the mechanical issues sorted by spring so it can get some body work done to make it really decent again. I'm so happy to finally have gotten this car... first year K cars are very rare and very special. I also recently acquired a very cheap 1989 Plymouth Voyager SE with the factory TURBO engine that was going to get parted and scrapped... couldn't stand for that so my buddy and I fixed it up and got it in proper working order again. That's getting more of a fun themed rebuild I guess you could say. Haven't picked the exact color yet but either key lime green or safety orange for the outside after the rust/rot is taken care of.

Here's some videos that my buddy and I filmed about the van and the K car. Warning... I swear... a LOT and so does my friend so watch at your own risk I guess. We're really stupid haha.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-25-2019),inuvik (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice, there is a wagon for sale near me. With the fake wood eh. I thought it was a cool barn find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fake wood? That's awesome! Is it the Chrysler Town and Country or an Aries/Reliant?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Aries/Reliant wagon. Cheap too, but I think it's a barn find. Still, for those who like that kind of thing...