Thread: repaint with a different color

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

repaint with a different color

As you know I ended up with the wine red and thunder gray colors. Neither are standouts in a sea of cars. I'd really like to have my '14 a different color that jumps at you and stands out.

I love me the sapphire blue, the plasma purple has really grown on me the last couple of years and the red is fire truck brilliant.

A long time ago I repainted a 70 Dodge challenger to the purple that Dodge offered. It wasn't a show car so it wasn't taken apart to be painted. I loved the look when the car was sitting but....open the door and see the pillar the old color. Open the hood, the trunk, all the same problem. The original color was still everywhere.

Now, I've seen how easy it is to strip out the Mirage interior. That goes a long way in a repaint scenario. I don't know what it would be like to drop the entire driveline as one unit. Still have a ton of other stuff under the hood in the way of a repaint.

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to try and recolor a Mirage, does it? It would make more sense to find a MIrage with a toasted driveline and if it was cheap enough, I'm talking maybe $1000, no more, less is better, and I could swap all the important parts from my '14 into the other color Mirage.

The hard part is going to be finding the color Mirage I want with no body damage and a destroyed driveline (how does one kill a Mirage?. they don't burn oil and then seize up, they don't throw a timing belt and trash the top interference end). Oh, yah, drop it into 2nd gear when totally wound out in 4th will trash some valves but that silly little bulletproof transmission will just shrug it off.

At one time you could order something called a body in white. It was just the unibody shell primed and painted, well, white. They were very cheap AFAIK, maybe $800 for a car that retailed for say, $5500. A call to Mitsubishi is in order to see if someone could order a Mirage body in white. I really doubt it would be reasonably priced these days. I'm sure Mits would want the $1500 they charge for delivery of a complete car on top of the body in white charge, which, just guessing would likely be $3-4000 or more.

Oh well. Keep watching Kijiji and be prepared to travel at a moment's notice if a cheap plasma purple or sapphire blue or red pops up. I wish I could get a breakdown of the number of cars of each color that were sold.

This is just a pipe dream post. I'm sitting back and going through the garages here and enjoying all the things people have done to their cars.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-18-2019 at 03:05 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)