Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Mirage release

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I like affordable too but if I can get a bunch of extra stuff for a grand or something I'm down for that versus the base model.
    I am with you. When I bought my '15 in late 2014, the ES was only a $1,250 premium over the DE, and came with a lot of extra features that I liked. I got alloy wheels, cruise control, fog lights, factory Bluetooth, FAST key system, steering wheel audio controls, nicer seat fabric, 6-way driver's seat, etc. Seemed like a pretty reasonable upcharge to me. I don't mind spending a little extra on my econo-box if it means it will be a little less of a 'penalty box'.

Though I do understand those who believe that frugality, if it is to be done, should be done RIGHT!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Interesting in that pic: no rocker panel plastic.
    Interesting, to be sure, but this particular car is almost certainly a pre-production prototype. We will have to see a new-look 2020/2021 'in the wild' to see if Mitsubishi has actually deleted it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am with you. When I bought my '15 in late 2014, the ES was only a $1,250 premium over the DE, and came with a lot of extra features that I liked. I got alloy wheels, cruise control, fog lights, factory Bluetooth, FAST key system, steering wheel audio controls, nicer seat fabric, 6-way driver's seat, etc. Seemed like a pretty reasonable upcharge to me. I don't mind spending a little extra on my econo-box if it means it will be a little less of a 'penalty box'.

Though I do understand those who believe that frugality, if it is to be done, should be done RIGHT!
    4-5 different trim levels the past few years doesn't mean much to someone like me, because a manual transmission trumps everything else.

I believe in trim levels, but the upper trim levels (SE & GT) haven't changed since 2017. New standard features are just existing features being added to the base level Mirage each year. I guess that may sound impressive to some.

A low priced new Mirage caught my attention, not features. I can honestly say I picked the lower ES manual over the SE manual, because I prefer the steel wheels. I added two snow tires up front on my Mirage two months after buying it. Steel wheels simplified that. I prefer manual climate controls. I tested the driver's seat & knew I would never be adjusting it up & down. My ES had Bluetooth already added & I could care less about a screen being on my dash. I would rather have the key ignition. The only compromise I felt was the lack of cruise, which i could change if I wanted to do that.

A brand new car for $9,000 caught my attention. At that price, I wouldn't have cared if it didn't have A/C, power windows, power locks, power steering, keyless remote entry, or even a radio for that matter. Yet, $9000 still got you all that, too!

As far as I am concerned, the Mirage hasn't changed since 2017. Adding features that already exist on upper trim levels isn't much of a change for a car. Auto climate controls were added as standard features this year. Big deal! That's was a standard feature in 2014-15. It's just lame marketing hype.

P.S. - I really like my Mirage. I am not bashing the car. I want an economy car that's affordable, reliable, & economical. The Mirage is all that!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-03-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    4-5 different trim levels the past few years doesn't mean much to someone like me, because a manual transmission trumps everything else.

I believe in trim levels, but the upper trim levels (SE & GT) haven't changed since 2017. New standard features are just existing features being added to the base level Mirage each year. I guess that may sound impressive to some.

A low priced new Mirage caught my attention, not features. I can honestly say I picked the lower ES manual over the SE manual, because I prefer the steel wheels. I added two snow tires up front on my Mirage two months after buying it. Steel wheels simplified that. I prefer manual climate controls. I tested the driver's seat & knew I would never be adjusting it up & down. My ES had Bluetooth already added & I could care less about a screen being on my dash. I would rather have the key ignition. The only compromise I felt was the lack of cruise, which i could change if I wanted to do that.

A brand new car for $9,000 caught my attention. At that price, I wouldn't have cared if it didn't have A/C, power windows, power locks, power steering, keyless remote entry, or even a radio for that matter. Yet, $9000 still got you all that, too!

As far as I am concerned, the Mirage hasn't changed since 2017. Adding features that already exist on upper trim levels isn't much of a change for a car. Auto climate controls were added as standard features this year. Big deal! That's was a standard feature in 2014-15. It's just lame marketing hype.

P.S. - I really like my Mirage. I am not bashing the car. I want an economy car that's affordable, reliable, & economical. The Mirage is all that!
    Different strokes for different folks, brother! The car has changed a bit since '14-'15. Back then, there were only two trims...either was available with a 5-speed. My local dealership had to bring my 5-speed ES down from a dealership up north.

I was able to have the options AND the manual. But I can't do that anymore...and when I buy a new one this will be a problem.

Now, I will have to choose one or the other. To be honest, the different trim levels currently offered aren't really all that expensive. A stripper 5-speed ES is only about $3,300 cheaper than an absolutely loaded GT CVT. Not too often anymore that you will see that little cash between the base and top trims, and that is just going by MSRP. Upper-trim models are often discounted even further at the dealership to move them. If we compare CVT-to-CVT, the difference shrinks to a fairly paltry $2,000 ($15,295 vs $17,295), and 80% of buyers will opt for the CVT anyway. IMHO, a Mirage GT could be considered a better value than an ES with the optional CVT.

By comparison, that spread is nearly $4,500 with the Fit...and good luck getting any big discount on one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-03-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks, brother! The car has changed a bit since '14-'15. Back then, there were only two trims...either was available with a 5-speed. My local dealership had to bring my 5-speed ES down from a dealership up north.

I was able to have the options AND the manual. But I can't do that anymore...and when I buy a new one this will be a problem.

Now, I will have to choose one or the other. To be honest, the different trim levels currently offered aren't really all that expensive. A stripper 5-speed ES is only about $3,300 cheaper than an absolutely loaded GT CVT. Not too often anymore that you will see that little cash between the base and top trims, and that is just going by MSRP. Upper-trim models are often discounted even further at the dealership to move them. If we compare CVT-to-CVT, the difference shrinks to a fairly paltry $2,000 ($15,295 vs $17,295), and 80% of buyers will opt for the CVT anyway. IMHO, a Mirage GT could be considered a better value than an ES with the optional CVT.

By comparison, that spread is nearly $4,500 with the Fit...and good luck getting any big discount on one.
    Yes! Finally a 5speed owner om here who'd at least entertain the idea of owning the CVT version.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yes! Finally a 5speed owner om here who'd at least entertain the idea of owning the CVT version.
    Not sure I can give up the FAST key...it has spoiled me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure I can give up the FAST key...it has spoiled me!
    Likewise. I don't think I could go back to a key. I also have driven sticks my whole life and this was my first auto, and I love it.
    (blank signature)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's already become a car I probably wouldn't buy new any more. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a small basic economy car.
    Sounds like you're done with buying new economy cars then? Serious question. It seems they've all gone in the same direction, Mirage just being the last to the party.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

To be honest, the different trim levels currently offered aren't really all that expensive. A stripper 5-speed ES is only about $3,300 cheaper than an absolutely loaded GT CVT..
    Wow, not here. A base 2020 5 speed starts at $10,988 and a GT $18,798. I think they made it so you cannot get a 2020 5 speed in Canada with cruise for some reason....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

The MSRP price difference between a Mirage ES CVT & a Honda Fit LX CVT (130 hp with 6-speed manual) is $1,510.

The difference between an ES CVT ($15,295) & the GT ($17,295) CVT is only $2000, and that is what sucks! Each year more & more stuff has been added to the ES only. They offer 4 trim levels (ES, LE, SE, GT) that are only $2000 different in price? It's been that way for a few years now. Top to bottom trim levels are $2000 (if comparing CVT to CVT models) apart. That hasn't changed.

The reason for trim level is so people who love extra features can buy them. I want a cheaper base level car, & I don't see one. There all clumped about the same. Do you think adding auto climate controls to the Mirage this year has made new customers flock to Mitsubishi dealerships?

If the general public knew a somewhat well equipped Mirage could be had for $10,000-13,000, they may take note of that? It's why I bought a Mirage! It took some effort on my part to figure that out, however.

I am not against more features. I am just not interested in them, nor want to pay extra for them. Upper trim levels are for those who like those things.

Mitsubishi has to offer large discounts, because a 78 hp Mirage shouldn't be priced anything near a 130 hp Fit. I am not saying a Fit is way better. Buying less car should cost me less.