Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: 10-pickups-and-7-cars-built-to-crumble-the-second-they-left-the-dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Is your car out of warranty? How do you go about finding parts whilst avoiding Mitsubishi OEM parts? Napa, AutoZone, dont carry much at all as far as parts go. 1 selection of belts, wrong size drum shoes, no alternators at all, 1 selection of compressors, 2 selections of front brake pads, no after market 14 x 4.5 wheels. I think Mitsu engineered this car to make it as dealer reliant as possible. F%ck Mitsu.
    Parts like brake components, chassis & suspension are examples of items that are specific to the car.

Parts like wiring are similar to a commodity item whose functionality can be easily adapted from some thing to another. Think of using lumber to build a house - the lumber is not purchased as cut and formed for the application. It is shaped on site for the job. Good shops have the basic tools for making and repairing wiring, and the tools are not expensive.

But so long as there are folks willing to pay big for a commodity item, the vendor will continue to charge big bucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Will a pick n pull get the parts out for you? What's the novice, like me, course of action if say, I need a used alternator. Will a private shop order it for me?
    In the USA anyway, you could get a used alternator from a junkyard. No problem. Pull it off a accident car.

Back in the day I owned an 80s era Rabbit VW, and that was an import car too, and yes to get parts I literally had to do more leg work.

Not impossible Dirk, you are worrying. I bought like 2 alternators from different junk yards. There are lots of smashed up Mirages in yards you can yank from. I've searched for parts myself. They were polite but won't ship from Ill. to Canada.

You live in the States, so getting parts for your Mirage won't be impossible. New parts you will have to use mitsubishipartsnow.com or the crummy dealership.

Maybe you don't have the tools or the know how, but Mirages are simple cars compared to the crowded engine bays in a lot of GM products lol
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-18-2020 at 02:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Will a pick n pull get the parts out for you? What's the novice, like me, course of action if say, I need a used alternator. Will a private shop order it for me?
    A 'Pick-and-Pull' will not. That is a generic name for a wrecking yard where you bring your own tools and pull your own parts. But any 'full service' wrecking yard will pull the part and hand it to you over the counter.

It will just cost a bit more, in most cases. As far as a repair shop goes, they generally want to install new/rebuilt parts. Why? Because they get to buy the parts wholesale and sell them to you retail. Plus, if you bring them some used mystery part from a wrecked car, they install it, and it FAILS after 1,145 miles, you are going to come back to them b!tching and moaning and they will have to either fight you or do it over again. Sometimes, you can talk them into installing used parts, but most don't anymore.

I remember when I was a kid buying a used automatic transmission for a 1970 Volvo and taking it to a shop in the back of a pickup so they could install in in my car, which I had towed to them.

They did a sh!tty job, but they did it.

If you EVER wanted to learn how to do your own work, now is the time and the Mirage is the car. Mirages are incredibly simple, they are actually designed to be easy to work on, and with all of the YouTube videos, online forums, online parts sources, etc, it is not as daunting as you might think.

We will help you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Why have a private shop order one and pay their premium when you can do it yourself and avoid paying their markup?

Replacing an alternator is just one step more than replacing an accessory belt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why have a private shop order one and pay their premium when you can do it yourself and avoid paying their markup?

Replacing an alternator is just one step more than replacing an accessory belt.
    This.

An alternator in a Mirage should take no more than an hour for anyone to change...even if they don't know a bolt from a bra strap. It is right on top, right up front, and there are literally three bolts holding it together.

If you ever take your Mirage to a shop and pay some tech $900 to have this done, I WILL hunt you down!