Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY check inner brake pads too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'm interested in those coated ones. How long has that been around I wonder?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't had a sticky caliper yet. The clips that the inner pads ride on seem to get caked in crap causing the pad to not slide back. When I change pads I change the clips, and make sure the caliper bracket is clean and free of rust where the pad rides. And make sure the pins slide free and have are lubed up.
    I wouldn't get too mad at the car about having a grooved rotor. I don't think it did it on purpose. Likely cause by a rock getting stuck in the pad, or backing plate?
    These cars have tiny brakes, you might get them to last longer by going with the slightly larger 17and newer rotors if you're replacing rotors anyways. You just need 2 caliper mount brackets. Then order 17 rotors. The pads are the same size from 14-19.
    What brand grease are you using on the pins? Any recommendations?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I started my brake job this afternoon. Very easy, simple and quick. Replaced the rotor without any problems and side one was done. Went to side to, well this is bad. The brake surface is completely gone on the inner side and I don’t have a second rotor! Now I am without a car until at least Monday because none of the Amazon prime rotors that are available will deliver on Sunday so nothing until Monday! I can’t figure out how to post pics, but I will ass them when I can
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iriegnome For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-14-2019),Top_Fuel (12-14-2019)

If I were desperately in need of wheels I’d toss new pads on and order another set of pads and rotors. Replace em when they show up. You didn’t die driving with metal on metal, what’s another couple days.
    Attachment 16414

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered the second new rotor. It will be here when I get home on Monday. My wife will just have to figure out her schedule since I am taking her car.. But this won't happen again. Off to Rock Auto to order a pair of rotors to keep in my shop and I bought the lifetime pads at AutoZone, and they always carry them.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    Annoyed doesn't even begin to put it where I am at. My 2018 SE - 30,500 miles. Passenger side rotor is gouged and pads are nearly gone. To say the least, I am hacked (pg version) off. Now my car, that is just over 1 year old needs rotors and pads. And of course since they are nearly completely shot, I can't order them to get them quick enough to replace them for a reasonable price.. Of course not. But, it looks like just the one side is gouged and needs full replacement. I will do both sides with pads, but only 1 rotor. Then, I can order a pair of new rotors at half the cost. Probably should be suspect of the caliper on that passenger side as well.
    I have to do my rotors and pads on my '14 as it has 239,000kms and I think the seller told me they were last replaced @140,000kms so I'm likely close to grinding metal. Used Mirage parts are stupid expensive here, so I'm sticking with '14 size rotors unless I can find very cheap '17 mounting brackets.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BTW - the best $4 I have ever spent on a brake job
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Can't imagine my large water pump pliers wouldn't be able to squeeze that tiny piston back into the caliper, but thats a nice tool to have.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is simply more proof the Mirage is an owner's car, one people can work on and take pride in their ride. Very cool tool for the Mirage. But...some cars, like my ex 2010 Caravan, need a special ratchet type tool to retract the rear calipers. You could use a tool like you have and crank on it until kingdom come on the Caravan with no results. F'n Chrysler/Fiat idiots.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a couple pairs of the large channel lock pliers. However, this is soooooo much easier and quicker. I do a lot of brakes between my car, my wife's car and all 5 of my kids cars!! This tool so much easier than channel lock pliers.