Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY check inner brake pads too!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

DIY check inner brake pads too!

We had brakes and rotors in both Mirages over the last month. Just to inform DIY people when I inspected the inner pad wore faster. So if deciding when to do brakes inspect the inner pad.

Side note- My pickup had 104,000 miles with original pads and rotors and the same thing the inner pad was worn... the outer had more pad.

My significant other drives the manual and when we met she drove a manual 2005 Corolla LE to 108000 on original pads and rotors.

I admit to being slightly annoyed that the brakes in the manual Mirage didn't last longer but we love the mirages so much I got over my grief.

Last edited by DottandDolores; 11-21-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Annoyed doesn't even begin to put it where I am at. My 2018 SE - 30,500 miles. Passenger side rotor is gouged and pads are nearly gone. To say the least, I am hacked (pg version) off. Now my car, that is just over 1 year old needs rotors and pads. And of course since they are nearly completely shot, I can't order them to get them quick enough to replace them for a reasonable price.. Of course not. But, it looks like just the one side is gouged and needs full replacement. I will do both sides with pads, but only 1 rotor. Then, I can order a pair of new rotors at half the cost. Probably should be suspect of the caliper on that passenger side as well.

I haven't had a sticky caliper yet. The clips that the inner pads ride on seem to get caked in crap causing the pad to not slide back. When I change pads I change the clips, and make sure the caliper bracket is clean and free of rust where the pad rides. And make sure the pins slide free and have are lubed up.
    I wouldn't get too mad at the car about having a grooved rotor. I don't think it did it on purpose. Likely cause by a rock getting stuck in the pad, or backing plate?
    These cars have tiny brakes, you might get them to last longer by going with the slightly larger 17and newer rotors if you're replacing rotors anyways. You just need 2 caliper mount brackets. Then order 17 rotors. The pads are the same size from 14-19.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-13-2019),Top_Fuel (12-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    For what it's worth...

I completely disassembled my front brakes when my car was brand new (I was painting my calipers). There was very little (if any) lubricant on any of the usual places including the slides. I cleaned/lubricated everything as I reassembled it and my rotors barely have a scratch on them at 80,000 miles. I'm also very easy on my brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The clips that the inner pads ride on seem to get caked in crap causing the pad to not slide back.
    Yeah...I have seen that with mine, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well to add insult to injury, not one Auto store in my entire area (SE Wisconsin) has rotors for my car. None of them. Amazon has nothing I can get delivered tomorrow. Nothing at all!! I really don't think my car is safe to drive without replacing the rotor and pads. So, I guess I drive the wife's car until I get the pads and rotors ordered up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    Well to add insult to injury, not one Auto store in my entire area (SE Wisconsin) has rotors for my car. None of them. Amazon has nothing I can get delivered tomorrow. Nothing at all!! I really don't think my car is safe to drive without replacing the rotor and pads. So, I guess I drive the wife's car until I get the pads and rotors ordered up.
    I don't understand - there's plenty of rotors listed at Rock Auto.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    They probably don't stock items that they don't sell much of? I wouldn't expect anyone to have them in SW Wisconsin either. I second what Eggman has shared. Rockauto.com seems to be a good place to shop for brake parts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did my first brake service at 30,000km, and they were already getting dry and sticky.

The inside only wears faster if you aren't servicing your brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-14-2019),iriegnome (12-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I am in need of replacing them now, not in 5 days when the order from rock auto would arrive. Sorry, I must not have made that clear. I will however be placing a Rock Auto order for a pair of the rotors to keep here at the house for when this comes up again. Since I drive about 26,000 per year, I am guessing that I am in for front brakes about every year. High traffic Highway mileage.