Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver begrudgingly reports on Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As another tall person...

My right leg goes numb as only my ass touches the seat. The rest of my leg is airborne.

My elbow hits the door BEFORE the arm rest even starts. So that's a moot point for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Funny you mention that. Mitsubishi said the first refresh (I'm calling it gen 6.1) improved aerodynamics, but I couldn't see how.
    Rear "spoiler" was also revised (angle of attack, if I recall).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Rear "spoiler" was also revised (angle of attack, if I recall).
    Yeah, I think they also fiddled with the front air dam, or some such. Little plastic thingies = better!

Like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    See attached! The front dam is about 9-10" wide, and angled to push the air to the outside of the car. The rear one is like Fummins says, it's about 1.5" square and flat vertically and horizontally (unlike the front). All PP Plastic like the rest of the trim (not rubber, but still a little flexible).
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These reviews are utterly out of touch with reality and its seems they are so far off that the manufactures listen to them and they will sink themselves with all the tech and turbos they keep giving into!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The whole "tone" of the review sounds like the Author hated it before the review even began. Those pro reviewrs are paid by the larger brands to bad-mouth the Mirage....because their biggest fear is that people will start their car search from the bottom-up. By considering the least expensive priced car and they fear that customers will recognize the bang-for-the-buck economy of the Mirage and choose that one to settle on.

So their best strategy is to dissuade customers from ever test driving the Mirage. They hope that their snarky and "look down the their nose at it" language will appeal to the EMOTIONS of the reader.

Its like the Editor told the reporter to write an "emotional" article with the end game being:

* The car is uncool
    * The car is a poor person;s car
    * The car is not powerful enough for daily driving
    * Your not going to get girls if you drive this car.

and so forth. CROOKED AGENDA FULFILLED.

These pro review sites only pander to the highest bidder. Whomever pays them the most becomes "car of the Year". Their greatest fear is an intelligent consumer that has the brains to do some math and calculate total cost of ownership over 10 years and the warranty of a car. They cannot attack the Mirage on price or reliability so they have to "stoop down" to emotional arguments.

They should change the name to Car and Briber
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

Its like the Editor told the reporter to write an "emotional" article with the end game being:

* The car is uncool
    * The car is a poor person;s car

* Your not going to get girls if you drive this car.
    Well, I can't argue with some of those points.
    -Is a Mirage cool? Ummmm no. If you tell someone you just bought a Mirage chances are they're gonna say "what's a Mirage" or "why would you do that?"
    -The Mirage is a Poor persons car. Yup, if poor people aren't driving a financed Mirage they're driving around in an old escalade or navigator. Or Armada lmao!
    -You're not gonna get girls if you drive this car. If you don't have much going for you don't expect the Mirage to be your wingman! Come on now lol.

I wasn't sure at first but the Mirage does have enough power to be a daily driver. Just enough. It's a weird feeling seeing a cop then instinctively let off the gas and look at the speedo and notice you're barely doing the speed limit but it feels like you're going over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    The whole "tone" of the review sounds like the Author hated it before the review even began.
    He did hate it before.

The writer of this C&D piece, John Pearley Huffman, wrote the infamous (I mean infamous, if you run with Mirage-loving crowds) New York Times review of the 2014 Mirage. It was one of the most scathing of the U.S. reviews:

Thread: New York Times slams the Mirage

That NYT review itself was so over the top, it prompted Jalopnik writer Jason Torchinsky to write a fantastic critique of critiques of entry-level cars in its defense!

Jalopnik: This Brutal NYT Mirage Review is what's Wrong with Cheap Car Reviews

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's a weird feeling seeing a cop then instinctively let off the gas and look at the speedo and notice you're barely doing the speed limit but it feels like you're going over.
    Lmao true

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well, I can't argue with some of those points.
    -Is a Mirage cool? Ummmm no. If you tell someone you just bought a Mirage chances are they're gonna say "what's a Mirage" or "why would you do that?"
    -The Mirage is a Poor persons car. Yup, if poor people aren't driving a financed Mirage they're driving around in an old escalade or navigator. Or Armada lmao!
    -You're not gonna get girls if you drive this car. If you don't have much going for you don't expect the Mirage to be your wingman! Come on now lol.

I wasn't sure at first but the Mirage does have enough power to be a daily driver. Just enough. It's a weird feeling seeing a cop then instinctively let off the gas and look at the speedo and notice you're barely doing the speed limit but it feels like you're going over.
    People who are good with finances aren't throwing their money at vehicles. Life is about priorities. I have some regrets in life. Buying affordable economy cars is not one of them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-10-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    People who are good with finances aren't throwing their money at vehicles. Life is about priorities. I have some regrets in life. Buying affordable economy cars is not one of them.
    Hear, hear Mark! And Ill add there's a difference between working class and poor in terms of pride. Mirage is a livery workhorse for the working man.