Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first Mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Your first Mitsubishi

Do you remember your first Mitsubishi?

Mine was in 1977, or rather it was my older brother’s. He came home from the Army in a 1975 Dodge Colt and I remember being 12 years old and fascinated by it. It was so small (compared to the cars of the day). And the engine: a small inline 4 cylinder! All the cars I knew had a V-8 or V-6, and here was this little mill that was so quiet and smooth at idle. Our Dad (R.I.P.) was not a fan, as he worked for and eventually retired from GM. But my brother and I had a lot of good times in that car. We lived ½ hour from the city, so it took us to the movies, to Burger Chef and to the video arcades (yes, I’m dating myself). We even drove it from Ohio to Disneyworld one summer!

I remember he named it “Herbie” after the old movies…When I got my license, he let me borrow it to take a girl on a date, and even then, I remember it had the light clutch feel us manual drivers know and love, and just that overall Mitsubishi "feel".

42 years later now, and my brother’s health is failing. He came over to my house last week, and I proudly showed him my G4. I started it up and let him hear the idle, and I asked “what does that sound like”? He smiled and said “the Colt”. I helped him into the passenger seat and we took a drive; he couldn’t believe it was a 3 cylinder and how smooth it rode. I offered to let him drive but he declined, saying he hadn’t driven a standard in a while. It’s tough watching his health decline, but for a few minutes there, we were together again, headed off to town in the old Colt. My G4 “Miri” is the spiritual and physical successor of Herbie, and that puts a smile on my face. I know she comes from good bloodlines.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-22-2019),Daox (11-22-2019),dspace9 (11-22-2019),Eggman (11-22-2019),Fummins (11-22-2019),inuvik (11-22-2019),MacClyver (11-24-2019),MetroMPG (11-25-2019),Pryme (11-23-2019)

Yes. I remember like it was yesterday.

Edit: And now I read the rest of your post.
    I'm really sorry about your brother!
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-22-2019 at 06:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I never owned a Mitsubishi until I bought my Mirage back in early 2014. But I appreciate a good story and that is a good one there. I truly enjoy that the G4 engine echoes the sounds of its ancestor of many years ago. Maybe that is similar to how some people feel about BMW 6 cylinder cars.

Colts like that are such unique collector cars now. Rare sight around Ontario and Michigan and the other states I have driven though, you don't see the old Colts anymore. Even the 90s Plymouth Colt coupes are rare.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first experience with Mitsubishi was in a 1990 Dodge Caravan SE that I had in high school. They made the 3 Litre V6 engines for Chrysler in the 80's. Beat the ever loving snot out of that van and the engine never missed a beat... besides burning oil hahaha.

My first Mitsubishi made car was a Chrysler Conquest that I traded a Neon for. It needed a little work but once we got it running right that thing RIPPED. Easily would go sideways on command. 2.6L Turbocharged 4 cylinder and rear wheel drive. Made a nice profit off of it when I sold it.

First actual Mitsubishi branded car was my 2019 Mirage ES.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine is my current 2017 Mirage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    My first Mitsubishi was a 1988 Colt E. 4 speed manual transmission. I bought it online at a government surplus auction for USD $26.00! Yup, twenty-six dollars. Needed a bunch of neglected maintenance but it ran fine after a tune up and drove it for a few years. Sold it for $500. Talk about return on investment!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019),Eggman (11-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yes. I remember like it was yesterday.

Edit: And now I read the rest of your post.
    I'm really sorry about your brother!
    LMAO. Thanks for the laugh!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Do you remember your first Mitsubishi?
    I sure do! It's a big reason why I got my Mirage.

I posted about my first Mitsubishi in my introductory post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In 1983, I pieced together a 1976 Dodge Colt station wagon. The previous owner neglected the oil changes, and sold it to me with a seized engine. The body was a bit rough, but usable. It was blue with woodgrain.

For a parts car I bought a Plymouth Arrow whose strut towers had rusted out. The Arrow cost more than the Colt. I pulled the 2000cc engine out of the Colt and put in the 1600cc engine from the Arrow, and I had my first car. Fun times and freedom. I put a lot of interstate miles on it before I sold it out of fear that it's strut towers were about to rust out.
    It's funny - I drove a rented Metro and couldn't get past how (after over 20 years) it reminded me of my old Colt Estate wagon. This Mirage is way too cushy to compare.

Speaking of memories. Cool that you were able to share those memories with your brother. Better to have them than to not know them at all.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-22-2019 at 09:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My first Mitsubishi was a 1988 Colt E. 4 speed manual transmission. I bought it online at a government surplus auction for USD $26.00! Yup, twenty-six dollars. Needed a bunch of neglected maintenance but it ran fine after a tune up and drove it for a few years. Sold it for $500. Talk about return on investment!
    No doubt!

And thank you for understanding constant dry humor and sarcasm!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)