Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Tesla Cybertruck?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Well, it’s bold you gotta give Tesla that. Not my cup of tea but if Tesla can sell these then maybe it will inspire more mainstream manufacturers to “think outside the box” a little more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's so ugly I thought it was a joke for the first 10 min. You can't even reach into the bed from the side. This will sell really well to people who care more about status than function, which is most truck owners.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

daleWV (11-25-2019),Dirk Diggler (12-04-2019),dspace9 (11-25-2019),Eggman (11-25-2019),Pryme (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    How much diesel fuel does it hold...and where are the exhaust stacks?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-25-2019),Fummins (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    It's so ugly I thought it was a joke for the first 10 min. You can't even reach into the bed from the side. This will sell really well to people who care more about status than function, which is most truck owners.
    I still think it's a joke. That design will never see roads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Mirageman38 (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We will never see it!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, it’s bold you gotta give Tesla that. Not my cup of tea but if Tesla can sell these then maybe it will inspire more mainstream manufacturers to “think outside the box” a little more.
    Yea mainstream nice-looking car manufacturers aren't doing well these days. Look at Nissan, they are making gorgeous looking Maxima's and Altima sedans, and Nissan is bombing with sales, and their corporate HQ is not doing so hot.

To me, the crazy Tesla truck really is audacity and vision, and megalomania going on. Elon Musk is like Howard Hughes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One thing's for sure there's nothing else like it.

I'm still not sure what to make of it. It would be nice if Tesla made a moderate, affordable car instead of expensive luxury.
    in theory, this is a move in that direction. Exoskeleton construction is purposeful other than aesthetic. The straight lines are easy to manufacture, and having this folded up uni-body is probably easier to do without the intervention of people or extra parts/tools. This is also the reason it has the weird sloping shape in the back as well. Personally, I think that could add a different utility unto itself with add-ons. They've confirmed a tent, as well as a solar cover which apparently can add 15 miles per day. Also making the frame like this allows them to make it out of a material that gets rid of their biggest (surprising) bottleneck, paint. The engineering is actually quite elegant. They probably get to skip many steps here.
    Last edited by Spadesheart; 11-25-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Absolutely terrible looks wise. It looks like a futuristic vehicle from a cheap B movie from 1982.....but a little worse.
    it is polarizing, but I am definitely very much on the love side personally. I've always liked odd cars though.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    there will definitely have to be some revisions. The front and back lights definitely can't be like that. Also they're going to have to do something about pedestrian safety. If that exoskeleton hits you, you are going to die, that is a benefit to crumple zones in current design methodology. To get this out and meet regulation, there would probably have to be a different style of safety mechanism if they keep the design, which i do think they will as its part of the reason for the competitive pricing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    there will definitely have to be some revisions. The front and back lights definitely can't be like that. Also they're going to have to do something about pedestrian safety. If that exoskeleton hits you, you are going to die, that is a benefit to crumple zones in current design methodology. To get this out and meet regulation, there would probably have to be a different style of safety mechanism if they keep the design, which i do think they will as its part of the reason for the competitive pricing.
    I'm not sure how safe their electric gull-wing doors are either on the Tesla SUV. I saw one open up at the supermarket a few months back. Gimmicky. What if you drive into water and short out the car?

I read in a car book once that the gullwing doors coupes Mercedes built in the 50s were notoriously hard to open after an accident. So looks are going the distance in these designs by Tesla.

No design is bulletproof haha

Last edited by dspace9; 11-25-2019 at 04:36 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)