Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Tesla Cybertruck?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the Cybertruck. I can't wait to see a modded one look like a Halo Warthog. The truck even has an electric quad option! If I'm spending $55k on a truck it would the 2 motor AWD. RWD seems to befor city drivers but wouldn't it makes sense to make it FWD? FWD is better for snow and RWD is really only great for sports cars and drifting.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I love the Cybertruck. I can't wait to see a modded one look like a Halo Warthog. The truck even has an electric quad option! If I'm spending $55k on a truck it would the 2 motor AWD. RWD seems to befor city drivers but wouldn't it makes sense to make it FWD? FWD is better for snow and RWD is really only great for sports cars and drifting.
    If you live somewhere with snow, RWD is not only a bad idea, it's unsafe as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how much people say driving skill and tires are more important. You are driving a front heavy vehicle on terrain where you can sink, pushing from the light side. You will absolutely lose traction unless you have a payload or are towing something 24/7. Now I imagine the cybertruck will likely be a touch better as they probably equalise some of the weight through the batteries, and likely will just be heavy in general, but I would not at all be comfortable driving a RWD truck in the snow unless I saw it well tested. I've driven a few, a dodge ram and a ford, and it was always stressful compared to any FWD car, including the Mirage by the way. The problem is, trucks have to be RWD if they aren't AWD as they are front heavy; the back would lose traction otherwise in all conditions.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah, I probably am not smart enough to follow you. Unibody construction has been around since the 1960s, and the mid-size Jeep Cherokee XJ started it's unibody development in the late 1970s.

Also, I didn't know cold rolled steel doesn't rust.

Curtis Steel Company: Cold Rolled Steel

Maybe Tesla is using a different type of steel, I don't know.
    Ooo you're definitely right. Normal cold rolled steel does rust, but apparently this is a different alloy.

"The exterior is made from a newly developed stainless steel alloy, the same metal that's used for SpaceX rockets"

I'm guessing this has some rustproof qualities as they have said that. It is just a steel without paint. They said there would be a matte black version, part of me thinks it's just going to be anodised. That would be kind of neat.

I think are unibody, but don't rely on the immediate outside of the vehicle to offset impact, which is how this differs. If you crash this through a brick wall, the brick wall breaks, not the car. the engineering is much more simple, but this would require some working on I think. Crumple zones kind of protect what you hit to a degree as well which I think is part of the law. Also the force of impact without crumple zones would have some weird ramifications on the inside of the car if you were to have a high speed collision for example. Force wouldn't be mitigated, you would still be going that speed There is something about this design that they aren't telling us completely that would make it work. Maybe it's some other sci-fi crap like external airbags lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    If you live somewhere with snow, RWD is not only a bad idea, it's unsafe as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how much people say driving skill and tires are more important.
    I somewhat agree, I drove rwd everything when I first started driving. I didn't crash or die in the winter. But I didn't try to keep up with 4x4's either.
    With that said, I'd never drive another rwd in the winter if I don't have to but if that's all I owned I'd do it again. I've got the common sense to not pull into traffic knowing that the road is icy and I'm just gonna sit there and spin if I hit the gas too hard like a retard.
    To me, saying rwd is unsafe is like saying guns are unsafe.
    I know a guy with a few tesla's that are both rwd, he claimed they are like tanks in the snow and have great weight distribution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I somewhat agree, I drove rwd everything when I first started driving. I didn't crash or die in the winter. But I didn't try to keep up with 4x4's either.
    With that said, I'd never drive another rwd in the winter if I don't have to but if that's all I owned I'd do it again. I've got the common sense to not pull into traffic knowing that the road is icy and I'm just gonna sit there and spin if I hit the gas too hard like a retard.
    To me, saying rwd is unsafe is like saying guns are unsafe.
    I know a guy with a few tesla's that are both rwd, he claimed they are like tanks in the snow and have great weight distribution.
    Our last snow was only a couple inches and I followed a Tesla model S sedan barely moving throwing a rooster tail of each rear tire. I was holding back the urge to rail around him in my mirage which was easily doable with that snow on the road lmao.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-25-2019),Fummins (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you live somewhere with snow, RWD is not only a bad idea, it's unsafe as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how much people say driving skill and tires are more important. You are driving a front heavy vehicle on terrain where you can sink, pushing from the light side. You will absolutely lose traction unless you have a payload or are towing something 24/7. Now I imagine the cybertruck will likely be a touch better as they probably equalise some of the weight through the batteries, and likely will just be heavy in general, but I would not at all be comfortable driving a RWD truck in the snow unless I saw it well tested. I've driven a few, a dodge ram and a ford, and it was always stressful compared to any FWD car, including the Mirage by the way. The problem is, trucks have to be RWD if they aren't AWD as they are front heavy; the back would lose traction otherwise in all conditions.
    That's silly. It was only a few years ago and every cop car in America was a RWD crown vic, and rwd caprices back before that. Also, there was a time not that long ago that the majority of pickups were only rwd. 4wd was not near as common 30yrs ago. It still snowed 30yrs ago lol. Sand bags were the norm and were available at every gas station just like washer fluid still is. People got soft is what happened.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-25-2019),Eggman (11-25-2019),Fummins (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    I miss RWD snow donuts.

Kids today don't know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-25-2019),Pryme (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    That's silly. It was only a few years ago and every cop car in America was a RWD crown vic, and rwd caprices back before that. Also, there was a time not that long ago that the majority of pickups were only rwd. 4wd was not near as common 30yrs ago. It still snowed 30yrs ago lol. Sand bags were the norm and were available at every gas station just like washer fluid still is. People got soft is what happened.
    A RWD car doesn't have the same issues with weight distribution that a RWD truck does. A RWD car is completely drivable in the snow. You're kind of confirming what I'm saying, in order to make it safe to drive in the winter, you have to add a payload (sand.) A RWD truck is not safe in the winter, I would say it is literally the least safe regular vehicle on the road, usually driven by the most pointlessly aggressive drivers, but that's a different issue lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-25-2019)

No, around here pointless aggressive drivers drive lifted 1 ton diesel 4x4's like this Attachment 16121
    Then sometimes forget to remove the cardboard winterfront between the intercooler and rad. Then overheat cause the temp gauge doesn't work lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    A RWD truck is not safe in the winter, I would say it is literally the least safe regular vehicle on the road
    Except for a Jeep with a short wheelbase - twitchy and rollover-prone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-05-2019)