Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Tesla Cybertruck?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It is stupid looking and rather pointless, IMHO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    in theory, this is a move in that direction. Exoskeleton construction is purposeful other than aesthetic. The straight lines are easy to manufacture, and having this folded up uni-body is probably easier to do without the intervention of people or extra parts/tools. This is also the reason it has the weird sloping shape in the back as well. Personally, I think that could add a different utility unto itself with add-ons.
    Jeep has been doing simple bodies since the 1930s, although lately their body design on the Wrangler has gotten more complex.

They've confirmed a tent, as well as a solar cover which apparently can add 15 miles per day.
    I'm trying to imagine a camping trip (getting away from it all) within a 125 mile radius that would still allow for some recreational off-roading. Most trips I can think of are beyond the range of this design, but that speaks to where I live. The solar panels would come in handy. Maybe it should be called the Tesla RV-1 (haha.)

Also making the frame like this allows them to make it out of a material that gets rid of their biggest (surprising) bottleneck, paint. The engineering is actually quite elegant. They probably get to skip many steps here.
    I'm not quite following you here - are you referring to materials or design?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fake, Fake, Fake. If it does come out it will not look like this, the thing currently isn't even street legal. They use it to get free media coverage and I guess they took some cues from Trump that bad coverage is good coverage.

The whole "armored window" thing was a big joke. I half think they do it to manipulate the stock price as it crashed 6% already after that. If you read the terms it says there is no guarantee of any delivery date, it is not currently a real vehicle, and they have no obligation to actually make it. Armored windows make 0 sense for any consumer electric car never mind a non working prototype as the only feature to test.

Allowing people to put $100 down on their credit card that is 100% refundable and doesn't obligate you to buy the vehicle or them to make the vehicle is a joke of a metric they use to say this thing gets millions of sales already. If people can call a $100 deposit a sale I got bridges to sell them.

At any rate start putting in your buy orders for TSLA it will probably be up 3%+ today.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the armored glass "demo" that didn't go so well...

For what it's worth... Tesla says this morning that they already have 200,000 orders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Jeep has been doing simple bodies since the 1930s, although lately their body design on the Wrangler has gotten more complex.

I'm trying to imagine a camping trip (getting away from it all) within a 125 mile radius that would still allow for some recreational off-roading. Most trips I can think of are beyond the range of this design, but that speaks to where I live. The solar panels would come in handy. Maybe it should be called the Tesla RV-1 (haha.)

So the reinforcement isn't a chassis on a frame with crumple zones, the exoskeleton is the reinforcement which is how it's differentiated. They wanted to automate as much of their production as possible, this is perhaps a way to do that considering it probably gets rid of hundreds of pieces and baubles. This is what they wanted to do with the 3 but they kind of failed and had to hire people in the end to get that car off the line, which is why there were production hiccups and it took a while to actually get that price to where it was supposed to be.

I can think of a few campsites but I'm in Canada. Also it's perhaps not 125 miles away but more 125 miles from a supercharger. There are a lot of those things nowadays.

Tesla apparently had a big issue with painting the model 3's, they never did good paint jobs and it was apparently a huge bottleneck. The cybertruck is made out of cold rolled steel, paint is unnecessary as nothing will rust, and if I were to guess, I think they will probably allow wrapping as a luxury option. I'm under the assumption most of these will come off the line without paint, getting rid of a step.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the armored glass "demo" that didn't go so well...

For what it's worth... Tesla says this morning that they already have 200,000 orders.
    Apparently when they hit the door with the sledgehammer first, it chipped and weakened the glass underneath. I honestly think it's kind of funny, Its a Murphy's law thing, happens often with these big unveils. Windows 98 blue-screened when they first showed it lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    So the reinforcement isn't a chassis on a frame with crumple zones, the exoskeleton is the reinforcement which is how it's differentiated. They wanted to automate as much of their production as possible, this is perhaps a way to do that considering it probably gets rid of hundreds of pieces and baubles. This is what they wanted to do with the 3 but they kind of failed and had to hire people in the end to get that car off the line, which is why there were production hiccups and it took a while to actually get that price to where it was supposed to be.

I can think of a few campsites but I'm in Canada. Also it's perhaps not 125 miles away but more 125 miles from a supercharger. There are a lot of those things nowadays.

Tesla apparently had a big issue with painting the model 3's, they never did good paint jobs and it was apparently a huge bottleneck. The cybertruck is made out of cold rolled steel, paint is unnecessary as nothing will rust, and if I were to guess, I think they will probably allow wrapping as a luxury option. I'm under the assumption most of these will come off the line without paint, getting rid of a step.
    Yeah, I probably am not smart enough to follow you. Unibody construction has been around since the 1960s, and the mid-size Jeep Cherokee XJ started it's unibody development in the late 1970s.

Also, I didn't know cold rolled steel doesn't rust.

Curtis Steel Company: Cold Rolled Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Steel Company
    Because cold rolled steel sheet is prone to rusting, standard practice is to apply a rust-preventative oil at the exit end of the temper mill
    Maybe Tesla is using a different type of steel, I don't know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, I probably am not smart enough to follow you. Unibody construction has been around since the 1960s, and the mid-size Jeep Cherokee XJ started it's unibody development in the late 1970s.

Also, I didn't know cold rolled steel doesn't rust.

Curtis Steel Company: Cold Rolled Steel

Maybe Tesla is using a different type of steel, I don't know.
    Not to be that pedantic but unibody has been around since the 40's! Unreal.

Wait a minute, cold rolled isn't immune to chemical corrosion from salt AFAIK. Otherwise every ship would be cold rolled plate and naked. There's a reason ocean ships are painted.

Nevermind, the article is clear that cold rolled will rust.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Nothing says in you're in the wilderness quite like having a 200 AMP supercharger at your disposal.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Fake, Fake, Fake. If it does come out it will not look like this, the thing currently isn't even street legal. They use it to get free media coverage and I guess they took some cues from Trump that bad coverage is good coverage.

The whole "armored window" thing was a big joke. I half think they do it to manipulate the stock price as it crashed 6% already after that. If you read the terms it says there is no guarantee of any delivery date, it is not currently a real vehicle, and they have no obligation to actually make it. Armored windows make 0 sense for any consumer electric car never mind a non working prototype as the only feature to test.

Allowing people to put $100 down on their credit card that is 100% refundable and doesn't obligate you to buy the vehicle or them to make the vehicle is a joke of a metric they use to say this thing gets millions of sales already. If people can call a $100 deposit a sale I got bridges to sell them.

At any rate start putting in your buy orders for TSLA it will probably be up 3%+ today.
    Hey, I decided to buy 10. Put down a solid deposit on them all. I can't wait for delivery

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-25-2019)