Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to Remove/Replace the Interior Filter / Pollen Filter

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    great post ZEFKE! everyone should replace their own cabin air filters. it is so easy to do that unless a person has medical issues, there is no reason not to do it youself.

the mirage filter is in the same area as the yaris filter, which reminds me of a popular DIY mod for the yaris which would probably work on the mirage as well. it involves the use of a forced-air furnace filter, which is cut (by you) to the correct size and inserted into the cut-out frame of the original filter. one furnace filter makes 4 to 6 car filters for a price of about 5 dollars. some people of course only want to use the "correct" filters but for those who don't really care, i'll hopefully remember to post some pics when i do my first DIY filter. the maintenance manual recommends that we change our cabin air filters every 10 000 miles. if one sticks to that schedule (seems a little too frequent for my environment) then the savings will add up fairly quickly. and these filters work just fine. nothing gets by them that wouldn't also get by the OEM filter.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm having trouble removing the cover on the cabin air filter. I found the catch but the cover won't move....I'm sorry to say I snapped a catch on the other side thinking it was somehow involved....

Edit; I finally got the cover off....man was it tight! Also repaired the catch.
    Last edited by strawboss; 03-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Did you buy a new filter. or did you use the Tip from El Kapitan?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No I haven't bought a new one yet as it's not dirty enough yet but after pricing replacements I will be looking into El Kapitan's solution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    for a little inspiration, head to the yaris forum (yarisworld.com) and search for DIY cabin air filter. there is an explanation and pics.
    as previsouly stated, the yaris cabin filter is very similar to ours.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    As a real DIY enthusiast I like to maintain all vehicles myself. A new Spacestar, aha lets see: Airfilter, Oilfilter, Plugs, Brakefluid, Engine Coolant, Washer Fluid EASY! Interior Filter......... After a small search I found it.

The Interior Filter is located in the cabin on the passenger side behind the glove box!

1) Open the glove box and remove its content. When it is opened you can see the two restraints holding it, one on the left and one on the right (at the arrows). Push the walls of the box inwards (as the arrows indicate) and voila now you can drop the box to the floor.

2) The glove box is now only connected to the dash at the hinges (see arrows), a gentle pull with the box in a horizontal position will release the hinges.

3) With the box removed you can now see the heater unit with blower and electronic control box. Right above the fan there is a little compartment with a small cover. The cover can be opened by pushing the release (see arrow) to the left and pulling the cover towards you.

4) And voila there it is, the filter can be removed by pulling it towards you!

5) Note that some filters are designed to have the airflow through it in a certain direction (indicated by an Arrow on the filter itself), in this case the Arrow should be pointed downwards.

As you can see it is really easy to install a new Interior Filter youself!

I hope there are more DIY enthusiast out there who will post a lot of How To's on this forum, so we can all enjoy our Space Star/Mirage even more!!

Greetings from the Netherlands
    Paul
    I'd much rather look at a clear set of pictures, along with precise instructions, than look at a video. Thanks!

This was very helpful in helping me find and remove the old cabin air filter in my 2015 DE. We took it out and tapped, vacuumed, brushed, and vacuumed again, to get it as clean as we could, before reinstalling it. I've ordered a new filter to replace this one, but the cleaned up old one should do until it arrives.

I didn't find it necessary to pull the glove compartment out and off where it hinges. It was completely out of the way just hanging down. I don't think I even brushed against it in any way while removing or replacing the filter cover or the filter.

- - - - - - one day later:

I have the new replacement filter, WIX WP10125, "now enhanced with Microban microbial product protection." It was the cheapest of the two exact fit filters my local O-Reilly's Auto Parts carried for the 2015 Mirage, but not especially cheap--26 dollars and change. It has the airflow direction arrows feature, so I installed it with the arrows pointing downward per these instructions.

Last edited by DonkeyPal; 03-27-2019 at 09:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonkeyPal For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is why forums like these are so awesome.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I'd much rather look at a clear set of pictures, along with precise instructions, than look at a video. Thanks!

I have the new replacement filter, WIX WP10125, "now enhanced with Microban microbial product protection." It was the cheapest of the two exact fit filters my local O-Reilly's Auto Parts carried for the 2015 Mirage, but not especially cheap--26 dollars and change. It has the airflow direction arrows feature, so I installed it with the arrows pointing downward per these instructions.

Check the Rock Auto site for your common parts in the future. The WP10125 is listed starting @ $3.74 CDN + shipping. Get a couple wiper blades, oil filter etc to combine the shipping& you will still be money ahead...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Check the Rock Auto site for your common parts in the future. The WP10125 is listed starting @ $3.74 CDN + shipping. Get a couple wiper blades, oil filter etc to combine the shipping& you will still be money ahead...

Roger

Thanks for the tip, but for some reason Rock Auto shows the WIX cabin filter at $15.44 USD, with cheapest shipping to me it comes to 21.71. Definitely cheaper, but not way, way, way cheaper. There are two brands available from Rock Auto that are that are under 10 USD, one of them at 2.79 each. Very tempting to buy several of them, to be ready to pop one in every oil change, while the WIX I most likely would clean a few times before tossing away.

Last edited by DonkeyPal; 03-28-2019 at 10:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)