Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles, what do you guys ride?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Motorcycles, what do you guys ride?

I love bikes in general. I was just curious what other mirage owners rode? Or if they ride?
    Are they economy gas sippers or guzzlers?
    More or less cc than the mirage?? Lol
    I have both sides of the cc range.
    I'll start
    1979 Honda Ct90
    1994 Suzuki dr125se
    2013 Suzuki gw250
    1969 bsa project completely torn down started to put into a 40's, 50's plunger frame
    1962 Harley xlch
    2005 sportster 883
    1996 buell s2t
    1992 Harley fxdc
    That's the current stable.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I was a kid I rode dirt bikes a lot. As I got older not so much. I bought a Kawasaki 550 in 2007 and the first time I rode it, I rode it home from the guy I bought it from. It was getting late and it got dark pretty fast. A freakin' deer jumped out in front of me less than a 1/2 mile from home. I hit the deer, went over the bars, and "hugged" the deer on the way to the ground. The deer got up and ran like hell leaving me standing there smelling like shat and wondering how I was still alive.

I pushed the bike home and sold it that weekend. Last time on 2 wheels minus bicycles. I do enjoy cycling. Less deadly., well, almost.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-27-2019),Fummins (11-27-2019),MetroMPG (05-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    When I was a kid I rode dirt bikes a lot. As I got older not so much. I bought a Kawasaki 550 in 2007 and the first time I rode it, I rode it home from the guy I bought it from. It was getting late and it got dark pretty fast. A freakin' deer jumped out in front of me less than a 1/2 mile from home. I hit the deer, went over the bars, and "hugged" the deer on the way to the ground. The deer got up and ran like hell leaving me standing there smelling like shat and wondering how I was still alive.

I pushed the bike home and sold it that weekend. Last time on 2 wheels minus bicycles. I do enjoy cycling. Less deadly., well, almost.
    I bought a 1977 Yamaha XS400 street bike when I was 16. It had 400 miles on it, and I paid $700 for it. When I sold it 5 years later, I got $700 for it.

I bought a 1981 Suzuki GS550T in 2004. I paid $900 for it. I got $900 for it when I sold it in 2015. I actually used that cycle quite a bit. In 2015, I bought a used 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650. I sold that bike in 2018. I lost some money on that one.

My fear of hitting a deer in the evening was the number one reason I sold my cycle. I also felt the need to simplify my life some, & the cycle was the first thing to go. If I had some friends nearby to ride with, I may have kept it. Weather-wise, a cycle is very limiting. I miss not having one, but it's one less thing to deal with in the garage or storage shed. I felt like I spent more getting the bike ready to ride than actually riding some summers. Replacing the rear tire every 5,000-6000 miles was annoying, too. I don't even consider myself a harsh cycle rider.

Owning a Mirage is more practical. My brother paid almost twice as much for a used Harley than what I paid for my new Mirage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-27-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a 2002 KLR650 Kawasaki I bought new. I've been on bikes all my driving life & decided to buy the last bike I'll ever own. I have ~ 70,000 km on it & have only replaced tires, chains & sprockets, normal wear stuff, Oh yea, the clutch lever that I always break when it falls over when I'm in places I shouldn't be...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500 I bought after I got divorced ( first wife wouldn't allow riding). Rode it everywhere, got it up to 110 mph once, just to do it. I, too, had a deer jump out in front of me, but was only going 45 mph, so I just jumped on the rear brake and held on. Didn't drop it, but definitely had to go home and change my underwear. Those things look much bigger when you are not in a car!

Got remarried, wife had our son, and I had no more time to ride. I miss it in the Spring, but then you get all the news stories about motorcycles hit by cars and the deaths, and I'm glad I sold it. Too many inattentive drivers out there.

I will say I use awareness techniques I learned in Honda riders course every day when I drive the Mirage.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-27-2019),Fummins (11-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just bought a TaoTao PowerMax 150cc scooter last summer. Has been fun so far. Took months to get all the paperwork in from the dealer. They can be had for under $600 and it uses a Chinese clone Honda GY6 engine. Can't really complain for the price and if you know how to tinker it's a blast.

It also has a CVT like the mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

I had a cr250 for a very short time. First and last bike I owned. I pretty much followed this top to bottom lol
    Attachment 16126
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    At the ripe old age of 16 I bought my first Kawasaki, a 1972 H1 500cc triple. Two years later I bought myself a Kawasaki Z1, a 903cc monster. That was my all time favorite bike. I had many other bikes over the years, mostly Kawasaki and mostly sport cruisers. My fastest bike was my Suzuki Bandit 1200. Ha, 1200cc, familiar?

My current motorcycles are all CVT bikes, and all Suzuki Burgman 400cc models. These things are insane. Only 32-34hp but they will pull me and a passenger all day long on the highway at 75mph or more without breaking a sweat. They also get anywhere from 65-110 mpg.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, keep it coming.
    I don't dare list all the bikes I have had. Would sound like fummins with fleet maintenance.
    Started riding when I 18-19 ish, when I could afford a bike and my brother and I found out the neighbor had his license " he didn't ride so we were happily surprised.. my older brother got a Honda 80 scooter- followed by a 150. I started on a 80-81 kz650.
    First bike is usually the funnest!!!!
    Have run the range of bikes, was getting to dangerous on fast jap bikes at a young age. Sold them all and got my 62 Harley to "save my self". True basket case.. love that bike..
    have threaded the needle between deers, and had a little one on the front front fender as I was balancing the bike on the front wheel. Have hit dogs , wood chucks, coons, and birds..
    got hit by a Tahoe, still don't like them!!!! They hurt.
    I always tell people if they are not comfortable with the idea of crashing or being hit on a bike then the really need to think if they should be on one. Meaning when the situation arises they will freeze or freak out, if you accept that this will happen at some point, you can better keep your cool react as appropriately as possible in this said situations.
    I was curious about what you guys would ride. The last bike I just purchased is mirage like. Suzuki gw250, I have more fun running my smaller displacement bikes than my bigger ones. The 250 has more than enough power and is legal for all the roads around here.
    Some roads are restricted to 250 or larger. It's currently in the basement for a tear down , checkup, and sprocket changes to change gearing, stock is way too low..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    had a little one on the front front fender as I was balancing the bike on the front wheel. Have hit coons
    Maybe it's too early but I had to read this one part a second time. Thought you meant a kid for a second I was about to grab some popcorn. lol

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-27-2019)