Thread: Noise at Highway Speeds

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Noise at Highway Speeds

I've had my Mirage G4 for nearly three years now (2017 Model), At around the first year the car started to do something weird. It would only happen on the highway at speeds between 70-80MPH. The car would make a noise, it sounded like metal scratching, and my car would lean to the side of the noise a bit. It sounded like it came from the front right tire, and that's where my car leans to when it occurs. I've had the car inspected by three different auto shops and none of them could find the cause of it, I even took it to the Mitsubishi dealer I bought it from and they couldn't either. It still happens thou, I plan on recording it and posting it on here, maybe you guys would have a better idea. (Brakes have been replaced recently, suspension is fine, tires are aligned, brake disks still have a couple thousand miles to go)...

Well, I can't think of anything that will randomly make a car lean. What do you mean it leans, it pulls or the car actually drops closer to the ground on the rh side? Crosswinds?
    Have the shops you've taken the car to actually driven it and heard what you're hearing or do they just put it on the hoist and make sure nothing obvious is flopping around or falling off? If nobody came for a drive and it's easy to reproduce the noise then find a shop that'll come with you on a test drive.
    Regarding the noise over 70mph, this'll sound dumb but it might be your air cleaner snorkel flapping away. I had a few drivers complain about a weird noise on the highway caused by that. Or it could be a bunch of other things.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-26-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well, I can't think of anything that will randomly make a car lean. What do you mean it leans, it pulls or the car actually drops closer to the ground on the rh side? Crosswinds?
    Have the shops you've taken the car to actually driven it and heard what you're hearing or do they just put it on the hoist and make sure nothing obvious is flopping around or falling off? If nobody came for a drive and it's easy to reproduce the noise then find a shop that'll come with you on a test drive.
    Regarding the noise over 70mph, this'll sound dumb but it might be your air cleaner snorkel flapping away. I had a few drivers complain about a weird noise on the highway caused by that. Or it could be a bunch of other things.
    The noise doesn't always happen, but since its my daily driver I hear it at least 2-3 times a week.
    The car feels like its puling towards the side of the noise, front right, you can actually feel the pull on the steering wheel.

Weird. Even more weird that it's been doing it for years? Wonder if you're rf wheel bearing is on it's way out? I have replaced a few of those. But the ones I replaced made a rumbling noise constantly that changed with speed. How many miles do you have on your car?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshuah View Post
    It still happens thou, I plan on recording it and posting it on here, maybe you guys would have a better idea. (Brakes have been replaced recently, suspension is fine, tires are aligned, brake disks still have a couple thousand miles to go)...
    Hey Teshuah, be sure to let us know how this goes. Your findings can be helpful to others later on.

I'm going to move these posts to a thread of their own in hope that someone else who may have had this happen will chime in. Thanks for posting this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)