Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TSB: Jatco CVT-7 | F1CJB | JF015E Continuously Variable Transmission

That sucks. I’d see what the manager has to say about turning down work.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You have to be careful directly mentioning TSBs to a Service Advisor. Service departments have to deal with a lot of people who find a TSB on the internet and then run in saying "do this TSB to my car." Manufacturers don't want every Mirage owner reading this (or another) forum and showing up with 20 TSBs in their hand demanding the dealer do them all. That's not how TSBs work.

Dealers like to find a problem themselves...they don't want you showing up and telling them what the problem is. You just have to play along a bit. Describe your symptoms to them (heck...use the exact wording from the TSB if you like). Make sure the problem can be fairly easily duplicated by the technician. Then drop your car off. If they are even remotely competent, they will review the TSBs and apply any software updates. The work order will usually state if a TSB applied and/or if a software update was done. If your dealer acts completely stupid (it happens), then it might be time to get Mitsubishi Customer Service involved. Believe it or not, sometimes they will instruct the dealer to call the Tech Line for more assistance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-05-2019),Eggman (12-05-2019),Fummins (12-05-2019),MetroMPG (12-06-2019)

Good point. I love when people tell me whats wrong with something, especially when they read it on the internet or their dad/boyfriend told them. I'm sure this isn't the case here though as it's a pretty common deal that happens a lot but I can't always make my car do it. I do know there is a brake pressure sensor, if I hold the brake pedal harder than needed I don't get that jerk feeling.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-05-2019),Top_Fuel (03-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I don't know, can your relationship with your service department be any worse?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Me? I don't have a relationship with them. I'll only take a car there for recalls or warranty work. The last car I took in with the cvt piling up came from hours away where I don't service their stuff, and they had no service records for any cvt oil changes so they voided they denied the warranty.
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I do know there is a brake pressure sensor, if I hold the brake pedal harder than needed I don't get that jerk feeling.
    That's really interesting as I rarely even use my brakes, much less press hard on them. If you guys remember, I got over 110k miles out of my first Mirage's OE pads, when others were straining to get 30-40. I will experiment with this and report back.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You have to be careful directly mentioning TSBs to a Service Advisor. Service departments have to deal with a lot of people who find a TSB on the internet and then run in saying "do this TSB to my car." Manufacturers don't want every Mirage owner reading this (or another) forum and showing up with 20 TSBs in their hand demanding the dealer do them all. That's not how TSBs work.
    Well, then don't show up with 20 TSBs I mentioned this TSB by it's ID over the phone when I made my appointment for the CVT service and they were fine with it, specially when I explained why I needed it (how I was experiencing exactly what the TSB is fixing).

Speaking of which, I did have this TSB (TSB-17-23-003) done earlier this week and what a difference it made! My biggest issue with my Mirage was the "low-effort" programming for the CVT. Like, that's copy/paste kind of stuff, it shouldn't be worse on a Mirage just because it's a cheap car.

Here's a small bullet point list of the quirks I noticed previously and the changes I've found with the new CVT programming (it does address more than just the shift shock issue):
    • Idle Neutral Logic constantly dis-engaging/re-engaging if you're light on the brake when stopped, or bucking when you come to a stop: No longer happening. Coming to a stop is smooth like a standard automatic transmission, and letting up on the brake to the point that you start to creep is smooth as well. No bucking.
    • When quickly letting go of the brake (think clutch drop), there's a huge delay between when your foot is off the brake, and the car kicks into gear: There's no longer a delay. When you're off the brake, the car is rolling under power immediately.
    • CVT would "hunt" for the proper gear while on cruise control: Seems to be resolved now. The CVT would hunt up and down about 200rpm while maintaining the same set speed (65mph), but it is much more stable now.
    • When accelerating from a standstill, the gear choice is more consistent: Before, the CVT would vary it's gearing quite a bit when accelerating even if your throttle is a fixed amount. Now, with moderate throttle, it will ramp up to around 3000rpm, then stay there until ~45mph where you can feel it kick into high gear.
    • Low-High gear shift is much faster: Previously, there was a huge lul in acceleration when it would shift into high gear (over a second to shift). Now, the shift is much quicker and smoother (less noticeable).
    • Ds and L modes seem less aggressive: This is just speculation, but I feel like it's worth noting for some people.
    • Used to have an issue where the CVT would hang in the low gear if you leaned out of the throttle but never lifted off completely. This seems to be fixed now.
    • Maximum RPM when WOT seems to be capped at 5200RPM. Used to be able to ring it out to 6000RPM.

I'll update this list if my experience changes from what's written above. I think it's well worth having it done.
    Last edited by phaux; 01-08-2020 at 04:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (09-13-2020),Rockabilly Manta (03-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    Well, then don't show up with 20 TSBs I mentioned this TSB by it's ID over the phone when I made my appointment for the CVT service and they were fine with it, specially when I explained why I needed it (how I was experiencing exactly what the TSB is fixing).

Speaking of which, I did have this TSB (TSB-17-23-003) done earlier this week and what a difference it made! My biggest issue with my Mirage was the "low-effort" programming for the CVT. Like, that's copy/paste kind of stuff, it shouldn't be worse on a Mirage just because it's a cheap car.

Here's a small bullet point list of the quirks I noticed previously and the changes I've found with the new CVT programming (it does address more than just the shift shock issue):
    • Idle Neutral Logic constantly dis-engaging/re-engaging if you're light on the brake when stopped, or bucking when you come to a stop: No longer happening. Coming to a stop is smooth like a standard automatic transmission, and letting up on the brake to the point that you start to creep is smooth as well. No bucking.
    • When quickly letting go of the brake (think clutch drop), there's a huge delay between when your foot is off the brake, and the car kicks into gear: There's no longer a delay. When you're off the brake, the car is rolling under power immediately.
    • CVT would "hunt" for the proper gear while on cruise control: Seems to be resolved now. The CVT would hunt up and down about 200rpm while maintaining the same set speed (65mph), but it is much more stable now.
    • When accelerating from a standstill, the gear choice is more consistent: Before, the CVT would vary it's gearing quite a bit when accelerating even if your throttle is a fixed amount. Now, with moderate throttle, it will ramp up to around 3000rpm, then stay there until ~45mph where you can feel it kick into high gear.
    • Low-High gear shift is much faster: Previously, there was a huge lul in acceleration when it would shift into high gear (over a second to shift). Now, the shift is much quicker and smoother (less noticeable).
    • Idle Neutral Logic seems to be disabled now. I can't feel or detect when it's dis-engaging or re-engaging now. I'll need to drive some more to confirm.
    • Ds and L modes seem less aggressive: This is just speculation, but I feel like it's worth noting for some people.

I'll update this list if my experience changes from what's written above. I think it's well worth having it done.
    Thanks for sharing! How long did it take for them to do the work? Did you need to leave the car with them over night?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post

• Idle Neutral Logic seems to be disabled now. I can't feel or detect when it's dis-engaging or re-engaging now. I'll need to drive some more to confirm.

Hmm... sounds worth mentioning on my next oil change :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Thanks for sharing! How long did it take for them to do the work? Did you need to leave the car with them over night?
    30 minutes, it's just a quick reflash. I had it done while they did the 30k CVT service and Engine oil change, the whole visit was about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Hmm... sounds worth mentioning on my next oil change :P
    I would say so, if you're having any of the issues I listed (or even ones I didn't). It doesn't cost anything, doesn't take long, and shouldn't cause any issues but only make things better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)