Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TSB: Jatco CVT-7 | F1CJB | JF015E Continuously Variable Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Does anyone know if the routine 30k CVT service now includes these items or only when one complains of the issues described?
    Routine 30k cvt service shouldn't require any relearning unless you replace anything that's listed in the tsb like a valve body. Just replace the fluid and filter/s and cross your fingers.

Besides many of the cvt's(used) I've installed are usually plug and play. I've only had drivability issues after tearing into valve body's.

I still haven't dropped the pan on the black car. Fluid still looks fine but it's starting to surge more and more, almost like it's low on fluid but it's not. I recall our 14' spark acted the same way(bouncing tach/surging/hunting) when warm on the highway and it got a new warranty cvt x2 or 3 with just that one symptom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Re CVT

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Routine 30k cvt service shouldn't require any relearning unless you replace anything that's listed in the tsb like a valve body. Just replace the fluid and filter/s and cross your fingers.

Besides many of the cvt's(used) I've installed are usually plug and play. I've only had drivability issues after tearing into valve body's.

I still haven't dropped the pan on the black car. Fluid still looks fine but it's starting to surge more and more, almost like it's low on fluid but it's not. I recall our 14' spark acted the same way(bouncing tach/surging/hunting) when warm on the highway and it got a new warranty cvt x2 or 3 with just that one symptom.
    I was more referring to the part where the filter changes have been added. FWIW, I called my localdealer and they have modified their CVT maintenance on Mirages to include changing the external and pan filters. Cost is $299 where the drain and fill was around $150.

Ok, cool.

So you quoted a tsb post which had nothing to do with transmission service. But you meant to ask if anyone had the same conversation that you had with your local dealership about transmission service.

I've yet to have a dealer acknowledge that these cars even have 1 transmission filter let alone 2. I usually get the deer in the headlights look from the parts department and the service desk.

The conversation usually goes like this-
    Me: I need cvt filters for a Mirage
    Parts: They don't have filters.
    Me: Yes they do
    Parts: No they don't. We just do a drain and fill on those cars. Cause they don't have filters
    Me: We've bought them here before. Just look it up(retard)
    Parts: *snarky* Okay *pushes screen towards me* is this what you're talking about
    Me:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, cool.

So you quoted a tsb post which had nothing to do with transmission service. But you meant to ask if anyone had the same conversation that you had with your local dealership about transmission service.

I've yet to have a dealer acknowledge that these cars even have 1 transmission filter let alone 2. I usually get the deer in the headlights look from the parts department and the service desk.

The conversation usually goes like this-
    Me: I need cvt filters for a Mirage
    Parts: They don't have filters.
    Me: Yes they do
    Parts: No they don't. We just do a drain and fill on those cars. Cause they don't have filters
    Me: We've bought them here before. Just look it up(retard)
    Parts: *snarky* Okay *pushes screen towards me* is this what you're talking about
    Me:

Up til now I said the same thing at my dealer with the same face! Was going to do my own service til the advisor told me they include it as routine.

Sorry for the lack of context on my original reply, I lurk on the forum but rarely say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Up til now I said the same thing at my dealer with the same face! Was going to do my own service til the advisor told me they include it as routine.

Sorry for the lack of context on my original reply, I lurk on the forum but rarely say anything.
    I'd still consider doing it yourself depending on your ability and how much you value your time.

There are a bunch of right ups about doing it. The one filter is accessed via oil pan, pretty straight forward. And the other one through the drivers wheel well.

For the pan filter-

1. Drain oil (3/4" or 19mm) it's not a bad idea to measure how much oil comes out to give you a baseline as to how much to put back in. I can't remember how much comes out. There might be a post around here.
    2. Drop the oil pan(10mm bolts)
    3. Remove screen/strainer filter (10mm bolt/s I think?) When removing filter make sure o-ring comes out too, if not pull it out with a pick
    You can usually reuse the gasket.
    4. Clean the pan and gasket up with brake cleaner.
    5. Re-assemble.

To replace the cartridge filter you can get to it from below, I've done it. But I also had an o-ring not seat properly and spit out shortly after so I'd recommend pulling the driver side wheel and pull part of the inner fender apart out of the way just to get a better look at everything.
    1. Pull wheel (21mm or whatever the standard size is 13/16?)
    2. Pull inner fender clips and bend it out of the way.
    3. Look for filter housing, it's a round cylinder looking piece oh metal facing you with 1 10mm bolt on on corner.
    4. Pull 10mm bolt. If theres a lot of crap around housing now's a good time to scrap it away and hit it with a blow gun or brake cleaner.
    5. Turn housing counter clockwise(IIRC) It will only turn one way. And pull on it a little. Some oil will drip out.
    6. Hopefully your old o-ring on the filter housing didn't tear or you have a new one.
    7. Remove filter by pulling it straight out. Sometimes the filter comes apart in 2 or 3 pieces. Make sure you remove everything, the innermost part should have a rubber o-ring looking end on it.
    8. Reassemble in reverse but make sure to get some oil or tiny bit of grease on the o-ring before putting the housing back on.
    9. Fill up with cvt fluid that meets whatever spec mitsu calls for.

There are some part numbers scattered around here that list the filter numbers from different mfg like nissan. Rock auto carries the right cartridge filter too made by Raybestos.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021),mohammad (07-07-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I recommend Aamco as they've come along way on CVT servicing. For $200 they do the fresh fluid change and drop the pan to clean out the magnets and inspect. For an additional hundred they change out the 2 filters. They are well versed in the CVT7.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I recommend Aamco as they've come along way on CVT servicing. For $200 they do the fresh fluid change and drop the pan to clean out the magnets and inspect. For an additional hundred they change out the 2 filters. They are well versed in the CVT7.
    Hey How’s your CVT running since your service? Have you noticed any change in operation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins I bought all the filters and will be doing myself once they arrive! Thanks for pushing me that direction for DIY!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-21-2021),Fummins (03-02-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey How’s your CVT running since your service? Have you noticed any change in operation?
    Both the Mirages are running just fine before and after I had them serviced at Aamco. I'll do it again when my 2014 hits 100k miles. As of now, it's at 76k miles.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

actually you need to reset the oil degredation and learning values if you change the cvt fluids, but since its equipped with INVECS the ECU will relearn it anyway.

Last edited by allrock; 03-03-2021 at 01:03 AM.