Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TSB: Jatco CVT-7 | F1CJB | JF015E Continuously Variable Transmission

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also had this done today, definitely a noticeable improvement.

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-04-2020)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something else I noticed: The maximum RPM is now capped to about 5200RPM. Previously you could ring the engine out to 6000RPM, but now if you mash the loud pedal it will go right up to 5200 and stop. Note, this is different from the max engine RPM which I believe is either 6500 or 6700. Overall, I'm not sure if this is better since peak torque is around 4100 and peak HP is around 5900. Maybe a compromise between them?

Also, it's more decisive in it's ratio selection now. The relation between throttle and gear ratio is much better, specially in Ds Mode. More throttle = more gear, jerky throttle pedal = jerky gear selection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    Well, then don't show up with 20 TSBs I mentioned this TSB by it's ID over the phone when I made my appointment for the CVT service and they were fine with it, specially when I explained why I needed it (how I was experiencing exactly what the TSB is fixing).

Speaking of which, I did have this TSB (TSB-17-23-003) done earlier this week and what a difference it made! My biggest issue with my Mirage was the "low-effort" programming for the CVT. Like, that's copy/paste kind of stuff, it shouldn't be worse on a Mirage just because it's a cheap car.

Here's a small bullet point list of the quirks I noticed previously and the changes I've found with the new CVT programming (it does address more than just the shift shock issue):
    • Idle Neutral Logic constantly dis-engaging/re-engaging if you're light on the brake when stopped, or bucking when you come to a stop: No longer happening. Coming to a stop is smooth like a standard automatic transmission, and letting up on the brake to the point that you start to creep is smooth as well. No bucking.
    • When quickly letting go of the brake (think clutch drop), there's a huge delay between when your foot is off the brake, and the car kicks into gear: There's no longer a delay. When you're off the brake, the car is rolling under power immediately.
    • CVT would "hunt" for the proper gear while on cruise control: Seems to be resolved now. The CVT would hunt up and down about 200rpm while maintaining the same set speed (65mph), but it is much more stable now.
    • When accelerating from a standstill, the gear choice is more consistent: Before, the CVT would vary it's gearing quite a bit when accelerating even if your throttle is a fixed amount. Now, with moderate throttle, it will ramp up to around 3000rpm, then stay there until ~45mph where you can feel it kick into high gear.
    • Low-High gear shift is much faster: Previously, there was a huge lul in acceleration when it would shift into high gear (over a second to shift). Now, the shift is much quicker and smoother (less noticeable).
    • Ds and L modes seem less aggressive: This is just speculation, but I feel like it's worth noting for some people.
    • Used to have an issue where the CVT would hang in the low gear if you leaned out of the throttle but never lifted off completely. This seems to be fixed now.
    • Maximum RPM when WOT seems to be capped at 5200RPM. Used to be able to ring it out to 6000RPM.

I'll update this list if my experience changes from what's written above. I think it's well worth having it done.
    Agreed, I got this done too, and have a similar experience. The CVT feels alot more like a traditional automatic now, and also feels more "solid" and confident in its shifting, if that makes sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-19-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Of those who got the reflash recently, Im guessing the difference between how my early 2014 CVT7 and how yours act is miniscule. In other words, its all in your head lol. Of course I wont know for sure until I try it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Of those who got the reflash recently, Im guessing the difference between how my early 2014 CVT7 and how yours act is miniscule. In other words, its all in your head lol. Of course I wont know for sure until I try it!
    Hey Dirk have you done this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Dirk have you done this?
    Nope no time. How much is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Nope no time. How much is it?
    Do you mean how much does it cost, or how long it takes to do? I can't answer for either, but there are other posts in this thread that you could refer to. One mentioned that it took about half an hour and cost nothing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you mean how much does it cost, or how long it takes to do? I can't answer for either, but there are other posts in this thread that you could refer to. One mentioned that it took about half an hour and cost nothing.
    Mine was free and about 30 minutes (longer of course since I did the 30k CVT service and oil change). I assumed all TSBs are free fixes? At least I would think the software ones are...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    Mine was free and about 30 minutes (longer of course since I did the 30k CVT service and oil change). I assumed all TSBs are free fixes? At least I would think the software ones are...
    Well I'm doing 2 oil changes today. My 2014 hatch was serviced this morning, they claimed my car didn't need the reflash and didn't offer to do it, just the oil changed. This was at a dealership. I'm currently at my private mechanic getting my fiance's G4 serviced with an oil change and to check out the roaring sound when at 75mph.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Routine maintenance

MC-10117841-9999.pdf 790.802KB
    * *TECHNICAL INFORMATION NOTICE* *
    DATE: August 17, 2017
    TO: Mitsubishi Motors US& Puerto Rico Dealer Service and Parts Managers
    RE: Required Procedures after CVT Assembly Replacement
    TIN NO. TIN-17-23-001
    AFFECTED VEHICLES: 2008-2017 Lancer, 2014-2017 Mirage & Mirage G4, 2008-2017 Outlander, 2011-2017 Outlander Sport

PURPOSE This TIN details the procedures required after replacing a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) assembly. When replacing a CVT assembly, valve body,or TCM (Transaxle Control Module), specific procedures are required depending on the type of CVT in the vehicle.
    Refer to the table below as a general guideline for which procedures are needed after replacing a CVT assembly. Then follow the procedures in this TIN, referring also to the applicable Service Manual for detailed procedures on the individual vehicle.
    Does anyone know if the routine 30k CVT service now includes these items or only when one complains of the issues described?