Thread: air filter question for Fummins

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

air filter question for Fummins

Got a question for the man who maintains the Canadian Mirage fleet
    Have you seen a Mirage engine air filter or filter housing get clogged and restrict air flow to the point of causing error codes or car performing poorly? I'm not having a problem, the reason I ask, I changed my filter at 60k and it wasn't too bad, but as I was clearing out leaves in the driveway got to thinking if leaves get in there........, or is there a screen in that snorkel? I didn't see one when I had it apart. When I cleaned the air box last year, it had a few leaves and stuff in it.
    Tks.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Got a question for the man who maintains the Canadian Mirage fleet
    Have you seen a Mirage engine air filter or filter housing get clogged and restrict air flow to the point of causing error codes or car performing poorly? I'm not having a problem, the reason I ask, I changed my filter at 60k and it wasn't too bad, but as I was clearing out leaves in the driveway got to thinking if leaves get in there........, or is there a screen in that snorkel? I didn't see one when I had it apart. When I cleaned the air box last year, it had a few leaves and stuff in it.
    Tks.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    I realize this question was directed at Fummins, but I don't believe there is any type of screen. I say that, because some mice had created a nice pile of hickory nuts (from my yard) in the housing of the engine air filter. I had a nest of insulation material built on top of my cabin air filter, too.

If there is a screen mesh of some sort, it's something mice can pass through. Luckily no harm seemed to be done to my Mirage.

Likewise, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-19-2022),tomrad (11-28-2019)

What Mark said, there's no screen. (surface area), they still filter but get restricted quicker.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I realize this question was directed at Fummins, but I don't believe there is any type of screen. I say that, because some mice had created a nice pile of hickory nuts (from my yard) in the housing of the engine air filter. I had a nest of insulation material built on top of my cabin air filter, too.

If there is a screen mesh of some sort, it's something mice can pass through. Luckily no harm seemed to be done to my Mirage.

Likewise, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    Thanks Mark! I just figured Fummins sees lots of these cars, glad for any replies. And I was thinking what you said about mice, the snorkel looks like a perfect mouse tunnel
    I have not seen one, thankfully. I drive the car every day, or maybe the mouse knows we have a cat in the house.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I used a Wix. But at $16, thinking of alternatives.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still way cheaper than OEM!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I replaced my factory OEM filter with a Wix @ 30,000 miles. I sort of skimp on the cabin filters, but I don't mind paying a little extra for the engine air filter.

RockAuto.com lists a little Wix cabin air filter at the same price of the larger Wix engine air filter. I go with the $4-5 cabin air filters.

The cabin air filter is relatively small. Since I have had the mouse incident, I am going to check my air filters (cabin & engine) with every oil change or even more frequently. I change engine oil/filter every 5,000 miles, & I will replace air filters when necessary.

I didn't think my engine air filter looked all that bad @ 30,000 miles, despite the stockpile of hickory nuts!

The Wix engine air filter appears to be a quality product. If someone is impressed with an engine air filter that's a bit cheaper than a Wix, I would take note of that, too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-29-2019)