Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSB: Rich Air/Fuel Ratio at Cold Ambient Temperatures

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Am I OK responding to this topic? This is the first I've seen of this type thread

I'm almost certain my first '14 SE had the high fuel problem that toasted the engine. It only had 14,000 km on it but it consumed a little more than 1.25 liters of oil. I changed the oil @2500 and nothing was missing. When I checked it at 5000 it was down a 1/4 liter. When I checked /changed it at 7500 it was down, again, a 1/4 liter. At 10,000 it was down another 1/4 liter. At 12,500 it was down, again a 1/4 liter. SO there's a liter it burned in a short distance. When it got totalled i checked and sure enough it has dropped almost a 1/4 liter in 1500 kms.

My 2nd '14 SE, the high mileage job uses nothing according to the previous owner. I've no reason to think otherwise and I'm really struggling to put miles on it. I don't drive a lot in the colder weather, I don't find it enjoyable.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Am I OK responding to this topic? This is the first I've seen of this type thread

I'm almost certain my first '14 SE had the high fuel problem that toasted the engine. It only had 14,000 km on it but it consumed a little more than 1.25 liters of oil. I changed the oil @2500 and nothing was missing. When I checked it at 5000 it was down a 1/4 liter. When I checked /changed it at 7500 it was down, again, a 1/4 liter. At 10,000 it was down another 1/4 liter. At 12,500 it was down, again a 1/4 liter. SO there's a liter it burned in a short distance. When it got totalled i checked and sure enough it has dropped almost a 1/4 liter in 1500 kms.

My 2nd '14 SE, the high mileage job uses nothing according to the previous owner. I've no reason to think otherwise and I'm really struggling to put miles on it. I don't drive a lot in the colder weather, I don't find it enjoyable.
    It doesn't mention oil consumption. It repeatedly discusses rich fuel in cold weather and engine noise though - was that engine noisy in cold weather?

I recall some discussion years ago about piston wear related to material used, but I haven't yet found a reference to that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It doesn't mention oil consumption. It repeatedly discusses rich fuel in cold weather and engine noise though - was that engine noisy in cold weather?

I recall some discussion years ago about piston wear related to material used, but I haven't yet found a reference to that.
    It was noisy starting in the cold. I figured it was the nature of the beast. Didn't a member here from Thunder Bay get a new engine because the rich mixture washed the oil off the piston walls and piston slap set in quickly? No?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It was noisy starting in the cold. I figured it was the nature of the beast. Didn't a member here from Thunder Bay get a new engine because the rich mixture washed the oil off the piston walls and piston slap set in quickly? No?
    That's an interesting point. Do you think that would contribute to oil burning? Sounds like oil dilution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Probably a bit of both I would think. I read somwhere excess fuel is pushed passed the rings during ignition and washes the cylinder walls and then drops down into the oil diluting it.

More reason to keep oil changed fairly frequently? I watched a video yesterday about a guy comparing quakerstate oil from the 50's to new stuff. He did a bunch of his own tests and sent samples of each to blackstone too. Obviously the new stuff had more additives but one test he did was heat up each oil and measure how much evaporated. I never really thought about oil evaporating before but the old stuff lost more weight after being heated up to whatever centigrades he set them to.

There are 2 cars at work that need oil added between 6k changes. One is the highest mileage one so that makes sense, the other one is a 17' with under 200k kms. It runs find just uses 1/2 liter around 4000kms.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I never would think about oil evaporating. It makes sense and follows the laws of physics.

Your fleet amazes me. The cars must get beat on and they just keep going with minimal attention.

They all come in once a month for oil changes at 6000kms. Nothing is really worn out, the ocasional axle and wheel bearing. But that's about it other than brakes. And cvt's of coarse. I check the trip B average economy and I can't get that good yet. Usually most cars show around 5.5l/100km avg. They don't idle other than in the morning, so that save's a ton of fuel and helps economy a lot. I figured numbers would be much worse. A few of the cars I move around have the floor mat bunched up under the gas pedal and only get 1/2-3/4 throttle max. Maybe that helps too lol. Everything has trackers in it so, hard braking and acceleration show up as aggressive driving events, I assume drivers get written up if they're driving like onmores all the time.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)