Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tis the Season! (Crappy winter fuel economy)

Yes - snow tires! I forgot them on the list.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I'm not surprised. It's a given for me since the air is much colder, the snow tires, and warming up the car. My mpg gauge is telling me i'm averaging between 38-41mpg on the highway. Compared to the summer where it's showing 48-51mpg. During the winter season, my overall fuel drops about 20% to 25%, the amount of snow we get is also a factor since the car, any car really, we have trouble with grip with several inches of snow on the road.
    When looking back on this thread, it may qualify for being the most off topic of the year! Do we have a forum award for that?

LED lights, racing sailboats, Gevulde speculaas, windmill cookies, remote control airplanes, Old Gouda cheese, salty licorice, king mints, and also those big dry melba toast things, rusks, shortbread, fish & chips shake, narcotics, narcotics laws, homeowner's insurance, stolen pot, back to bush planes, & finally back to engine block heaters! If I overlooked a few topics, I apologize.

I traveled (a little more than 6 hours) from SW Wisconsin to Green Bay & back home again (Christmas gathering for relatives) today. My driving is a mix of rural hill roads for the first 45 minutes or so, about 1.5 hours of two lane state highways, and about 1 hour of 4-6 lane interstate (Oshkosh, Fox Valley area, Neenah, Menasha, Appleton, Green Bay). Most of the two lane highways I was pushing it to 60-65 mph. Once I hit Oshkosh to Green Bay, I was going 70-80 mph for the remaining part.

I have Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires up front & Federal SS657 on the rear. I keep my tires at approximately 40 psi. I had filled my gas tank the day before this trip. Thus, I had some local mileage on my car. Today was quite mild (mid-40s) for Wisconsin, & the wind wasn't bad. I filled back up tonight before getting home. My last bar had just started flashing.

Trip odometer was 323.2 miles & it took 6.974 gallons to fill up my car. MPG = 46.34

I do this trip quite often, because my parents live north of Green Bay. I seldom every get below 40 mpg driving anywhere any time of the year with my Mirage, but mild temperatures & lack of wind today made me get similar to my summer time numbers for this trip.

It's the cold weather (low temperatures) & strong winds that seem to zap my mpg the most. In my opinion, the snow tires & winter fuel aren't the biggest factor. Snow tires plowing through snow or slush, however, is a different story.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-23-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's the cold weather (low temperatures) & strong winds that seem to zap my mpg the most. In my opinion, the snow tires & winter fuel aren't the biggest factor. Snow tires plowing through snow or slush, however, is a different story.
    Sounds like a real trip Mark. Same weather pattern in Southern Ontario today. No need for winter tires. I think you're right it's the wind, and plowing through slush, that hurts mpg come wintertime.

I have noticed good days, and bad days, with winter driving and my own 2014 Mirage's fuel economy. I find some gas seems to last longer than other brands as well.

Another factor drinking gas for me is.. I drive in a lower gear more readily in the winter. Like for the added traction I get with quicker torque and throttle response. Does drink more gas the higher those rpm's go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sounds like a real trip Mark. Same weather pattern in Southern Ontario today. No need for winter tires. I think you're right it's the wind, and plowing through slush, that hurts mpg come wintertime.

I have noticed good days, and bad days, with winter driving and my own 2014 Mirage's fuel economy. I find some gas seems to last longer than other brands as well.

Another factor drinking gas for me is.. I drive in a lower gear more readily in the winter. Like for the added traction I get with quicker torque and throttle response. Does drink more gas the higher those rpm's go.
    Below 0F temperatures & shorter trips to town are when my mpg dips the lowest. I don't think putting on my summer tires would change that either. Thus, the engine block heater discussion is probably more relevant.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When looking back on this thread, it may qualify for being the most off topic of the year! Do we have a forum award for that?

LED lights, racing sailboats, Gevulde speculaas, windmill cookies, remote control airplanes, Old Gouda cheese, salty licorice, king mints, and also those big dry melba toast things, rusks, shortbread, fish & chips shake, narcotics, narcotics laws, homeowner's insurance, stolen pot, back to bush planes, & finally back to engine block heaters! If I overlooked a few topics, I apologize. .

And the 2019 ADD Thread of the Year goes to......"Tis the Season"! All others, its an honor just to be nominated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-23-2019)

AtomicPunk : thank you for the actual LOL. And to Mark for the summary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)