Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tis the Season! (Crappy winter fuel economy)

Looks yummy.

Seems like half the people I race sailboats with/against are Dutch immigrants (1st & 2nd generation), and I've never heard of that one before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    You're clearly not Dutch. Else gevulde speculaas would have been #1. And sorry, I have no idea how to translate that.
    Windmill cookies! but with almond gooeyness in the middle, layered kinda like a nanaimo bar. But more like biscotti, without the hard crunch.

Also what is Dutch Christmas/new years without Oliebol. Aka donuts in Canada/USA. Very much like an apple fritter donut at Tim Horton's.

Let us finally not forget real candles lit on a real tree!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    There are LOTS of factors that drag down winter fuel economy.

The winter fuel blend is just one small contributor of many. As Eggman and others have said, the biggest factor is outside air temperature, because it hits multiple systems:

1) Engine takes longer to warm up, so it's running rich for longer. (Use a block heater -- year round for the hardcore.)
    2) Entire drivetrain takes longer to warm up, so lubricants are thicker with more drag (transaxle, bearings, heck even CV boots)
    3) Tire pressure drops as thermostat drops - have you topped them up?
    4) Tire rolling resistance increases regardless of whether you've maintained pressure.
    5) Rolling resistance increases dramatically on snowy or slushy roads.
    6) You're running higher electrical loads because it's darker (headlights) and colder (seat heaters, blower, window/mirror defrost)
    7) If you have AC, the compressor kicks in when you select front window defrost.
    8) Some people idle their cars to warm them up, adding multiple "0 MPG" / "Infinity L/100 km" events to each tank average.

A big one:

9) Aerodynamic drag increases as ambient temperature drops due to increasing air density. Aero resistance can be twice as high in the depths of winter as in the warmest summer weather. Once you pass around 25 mph / 40 km/h, aero drag is responsible for half your fuel burn. It only increases from there. That's why I tape/zip tie all that crazy plastic & cardboard crap to my cars.

10) Ski racks? They're aerodynamically brutal.

There are probably other things I can't remember at the moment.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
    I agree.... number 9 is huge, I used to fly remote control airplanes as a kid and was really hard core, I fitted skis and flew in the winter. The handling characteristics of all my planes changed drastically, stall speeds dropped like a stone.
    I remember actually " flying backwards" in a moderate steady breeze at -15 C with a trainer aircraft at 10 feet over the runway while trying to land.After a while I'd start doing it "for fun".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can't ask for better flying conditions than cold clear winter days with a piston engine. When flying the turbofan it really doesn't make much difference if it's -20C at sea level as I'm usually at FL310 or above. Unless I'm trying to lift off at MTOW at high altitudes. Then colder weather is always better.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You're clearly not Dutch. Else gevulde speculaas would have been #1. And sorry, I have no idea how to translate that.
    Hol up. I've never seen anybody else mention speculaas on the internet before.

It's a proper December if your dipping specs in milk, and gnawing down some Gouda so heavily smoked it might as well be beef jerky.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Smoked Gouda? Do you mean something like this, or do you mean Old Gouda cheese, which is delicious, but is not smoked, just ripened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    is not smoked, just ripened.
    Good luck finding that 3 or 4 year old gouda cheese at any mainstream grocery store here in Ontario or Michigan.

That said you can go to one of the many little Dutch-themed stores we have. They might have it or can order it in. At the little dutch stores you can get croquette's and better mustard, etc. Here is the kicker though Space Wolf: many grocery stores near me do have salty licorice, and king mints, and also those big dry melba toast things, rusks.

We have some Little Britain stores around too. Same idea, lots of shortbread and fish and chips shake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Smoked Gouda? Do you mean something like this, or do you mean Old Gouda cheese, which is delicious, but is not smoked, just ripened.
    A good half decade old, THEN smoked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-10-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    A good half decade old, THEN smoked.
    Does that exist? And it's not prohibited by anti-narcotics laws? Wow!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 16359Speaking of narcotics, I just went over my house insurance policy. Aparently I have weed coverage up to $500 lmao!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-10-2019),spork (12-11-2019)