Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the Season! (Crappy winter fuel economy)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Tis the Season! (Crappy winter fuel economy)

30l took me 480km on my last tank.

Strong winds, long warm up times, well below zero temperatures, soft grippy tires...

I look forward to my next 700km tank, maybe in April sometime. HA.

Stupid Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    30l took me 480km on my last tank.

Strong winds, long warm up times, well below zero temperatures, soft grippy tires...

I look forward to my next 700km tank, maybe in April sometime. HA.

Stupid Canada.
    Yea eh, same story every year and every winter season, with my own Mirage. Also, the Mirage always drinks gas if you drive it fast enough. Like any car. So often any given day the driving conditions are less than ideal for perfect fuel-sipping maximums.

Can't do much about the weather, or traffic conditions. Maybe in April we'll have nice weather again, and nature won't be cruel. And we'll get an early spring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-30-2019)

I’m more than happy with the numbers I'm seeing so far. I don’t even try to drive to save dolphins and get better economy than anything I’ve ever owned. But that’s not saying much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (12-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, this time of year does nothing to inspire better driving habits. Try as I may, a cold day with a bad headwind will ruin the overall mileage of a tank of gas. But I do now have the Kats cartridge heaters for each car. I hope that will help. If nothing else, the cabin will be warmer faster.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ya, this time of year does nothing to inspire better driving habits. Try as I may, a cold day with a bad headwind will ruin the overall mileage of a tank of gas. But I do now have the Kats cartridge heaters for each car. I hope that will help. If nothing else, the cabin will be warmer faster.
    Lower mpg during winter months is pretty hard to avoid, because of winter blend gasoline.

Even if you didn't change tires & had some decent weather, you're probably not going to achieve summer mpg ratings.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...blend-gasoline

Winter blend gas is a necessary evil of northern winters!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's interesting if you track mileage you can almost predict with certainty when the winter blend gasoline hits the pumps. For me, there was a noticeable change in the middle of November. I gas up weekly and my driving habits don't change much so it's down to altered weather and gasoline blends.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Lower mpg during winter months is pretty hard to avoid, because of winter blend gasoline.

Even if you didn't change tires & had some decent weather, you're probably not going to achieve summer mpg ratings.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...blend-gasoline

Winter blend gas is a necessary evil of northern winters!
    That article says there's about 2% less energy available in winter fuel, right? I don't think that accounts for the Mirage loss of fuel economy in cold weather.

I can go about 4 weeks on a tank of gas. I notice increased fuel consumption in colder temperatures with the same tank of gas.

No doubt winter gas is a factor, but there's more to that story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One thing I haven't really tracked is the median daily temperatures in a given month. It just might be that mid November for where I live is when there's a noticeable change in the temperature. I'm not going to bother trying to chase it down.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm not going to bother trying to chase it down.
    Why not? Think of the fun you'll have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why not? Think of the fun you'll have.
    Bleh. Think of the time I can use trying out different bright white LEDs instead!