Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sleeping platform in Mirage

Hello Gang,

Well, I finally found the time to start the project.
    What took the longest time was to try to figure how to do it and what materials to use.
    Happy to report that my idea is going to work.
    It came to me, after long thought, to use plastic storage shelving.
    I purchased a 5 shelf unit from Lowes. The shelves are 24" deep X 36" wide. Each shelf is advertised to support 200 lbs.
    The platform consists of two shelves, arranged in an L shape. I will have to make a separate triangular section to fit into the inner portion of the L, to make a straight(on a diagonal) sleeping length of almost 70 inches.
    I am a half an inch shy of 70 inches tall.
    The legs that separate the shelves, when the 5 shelf unit is completely assembled, are just long enough to keep from any pressure being applied(from the shelf) to the fully reclined front passenger seat. That was a major concern because of how little structural integrity is built into our seats, not to mention the airbags built into the side of the front seats. Some of the legs have to be cut to shorter lengths to level the shelves/platform. I am still tweaking leg lengths. I will post leg lengths when project is finished.

Because of back issues, I sleep on my side with my legs pulled up slightly.
    Got just the L shape installed tonight and tried it out. Its gonna work!
    I just fit!
    I will take and post pictures tomorrow of what this first phase looks like.

I wanted the rear seat backs to remain in place so I would have a separate trunk area to haul my fishing camping gear.
    Kayaks will go on top, on the cargo racks.
    I have the Mitsubishi wind/rain deflectors and will rig some screening with velcro for ventalation and to keep mosquitos out. The deflectors will keep the rain/snow out.
    Plan is coming together and I am excited. It's going to be great to be able to economically travel and camp/sleep in my car. Did not want to have to set up or use a tent because I want to spend my time fishing and even more so because some spots I will visit have bears.
    This platform will be easy to disassemble and will
    keep the driver and passenger seat available for travel.
    The greatest thing is the only alteration I have to make to the Mirage is to remove the rear passenger area seat cushion, remove the head rest from the front passenger seat and fully recline it. Then the platform can be installed!

I love this car.

Last edited by Bristol; 12-01-2019 at 12:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

emki (12-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm super excited to see pictures of this project. Sounds awesome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    The greatest thing is the only alteration I have to make to the Mirage is to remove the rear passenger area seat cushion, remove the head rest from the front passenger seat and fully recline it. Then the platform can be installed!

I love this car.
    I look forward to updates on your Mirage project.

There are times when I miss the flexibility of the rear seats of my 1990 Ford Festiva. The 1988-93 Festiva was designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford. If you don't know what I mean by flexibility, someone shared a 30 sec video on them. For a very cheap basic car, I thought these rear seats were quite creative!

I do, however, prefer 4-doors hatchbacks over 2-door ones! It's good to hear that you are loving your Mirage.

I sold my 1990 Festiva in 2004. It left a void in my life until it was filled by my 2017 Mirage!
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-01-2019 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Embedded video in post

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I look forward to updates on your Mirage project.

There are times when I miss the flexibility of the rear seats of my 1990 Ford Festiva. The 1988-93 Festiva was designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford. If you don't know what I mean by flexibility, someone shared a 30 sec video on them. For a very cheap basic car, I thought these rear seats were quite creative!

I do, however, prefer 4-doors hatchbacks over 2-door ones! It's good to hear that you are loving your Mirage.

I sold my 1990 Festiva in 2004. It left a void in my life until it was filled by my 2017 Mirage!
    Growing up, my step dad had a Festiva briefly. He liked cars like that-he also had a Chevy Sprint and a Suzuki Swift GTi. I loved all three of those cars. Didn't get to drive the Sprint, but learned to drive stick in the Swift (that car was so much fun), and did high school joy rides in the Festiva with friends. The Aspire just didn't capture the same spirit of the Festiva (which really felt like a 'modern' Fiesta to me). I see someone doing Amazon Flex delivery with a Festiva!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    Growing up, my step dad had a Festiva briefly. He liked cars like that-he also had a Chevy Sprint and a Suzuki Swift GTi. I loved all three of those cars. Didn't get to drive the Sprint, but learned to drive stick in the Swift (that car was so much fun), and did high school joy rides in the Festiva with friends. The Aspire just didn't capture the same spirit of the Festiva (which really felt like a 'modern' Fiesta to me). I see someone doing Amazon Flex delivery with a Festiva!!
    The 1990 Ford Festiva was the first year they changed over to fuel injection. We had a Plymouth Horizon that gave us all types of carburetor issues at the time. When the $6,300 base level Festiva L had a $1,000 rebate, I bought one for $5,300. We got $800 for the Horizon on trade, and I was glad to see it go!

The Festiva was a durable little economy car. I really liked how the rear seat would fold up. He doesn't show it totally in the clip, but a majority of the rear seat could be shoved into the rear foot well. It left a quite large, flat cargo area for a small car without having to remove the rear seat. I sort of judge other rear seats by this one. Keep in mind, rear head rest weren't required back then, nor were air bags. It was the in-between era of automatic seat belts.

The 1990 Festiva was a wonderful little economy car for my young family at the time. It was my do all vehicle, which included hauling deer out of the woods. That car went in some amazing places, and it always made its way out. Now I own my own land, thankfully I have a Kawasaki Mule to do those nasty tasks! My Mirage gets treated much better these days.

I didn't mean to hijack this this thread, but the talk of using the Mirage for camping, hauling kayaks, and such reminded of me of my days of using an small little economy car for most everything. Today, I back the Forester out the garage when its time to go kayaking. Now that I am racking up the miles on my Mirage, I expect to extend the life of my Forester & I like the thought of that!

If I were to do life over again, a Metro, Festiva, Echo, or Mirage type vehicle would always be in my garage or driveway. It's hard to beat the depreciation of a brand new $5,300 Festiva or a $9,300 Mirage. If you take care of these cars, they do serve you very well!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took some pictures, but flash did not work well enough.
    Had to dismantle platform because I'm back to work tomorrow and with the platform in place, I can not get trans into reverse. I could notch the platform but it would weaken the shelf too much I believe.
    Will be working on it again in a couple weeks and will post pics.
    Trust me though, for those wishing to sleep in their Mirage, for whatever reason, you are gonna love it.
    Mark, you can hijack this thread anytime. I appreciate ideas from all, on micro camping.
    I am eyeballing a Coleman fold and go propane stove.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm looking forward to the finished product.

There are times in the summer I'd rather stay in my daughter's home town to see her the following day.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm looking forward to the finished product.

There are times in the summer I'd rather stay in my daughter's home town to see her the following day.
    I would buy that daughter a comfortable couch!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-03-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would buy that daughter a comfortable couch!
    I don't think my ex would entertain me on any couch within a few hundred meters of her house, certainly not one inside her place! Lol
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I don't think my ex would entertain me on any couch within a few hundred meters of her house, certainly not one inside her place! Lol
    I see! My daughters are grown, graduated from college, and married. I wasn't thinking right on that one! Sorry!!!!!!!