Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sleeping platform in Mirage

Hello Gang,

Well, I finally found the time to start the project.
    What took the longest time was to try to figure how to do it and what materials to use.
    Happy to report that my idea is going to work.
    It came to me, after long thought, to use plastic storage shelving.
    I purchased a 5 shelf unit from Lowes. The shelves are 24" deep X 36" wide. Each shelf is advertised to support 200 lbs.
    The platform consists of two shelves, arranged in an L shape. I will have to make a separate triangular section to fit into the inner portion of the L, to make a straight(on a diagonal) sleeping length of almost 70 inches.
    I am a half an inch shy of 70 inches tall.
    The legs that separate the shelves, when the 5 shelf unit is completely assembled, are just long enough to keep from any pressure being applied(from the shelf) to the fully reclined front passenger seat. That was a major concern because of how little structural integrity is built into our seats, not to mention the airbags built into the side of the front seats. Some of the legs have to be cut to shorter lengths to level the shelves/platform. I am still tweaking leg lengths. I will post leg lengths when project is finished.

Because of back issues, I sleep on my side with my legs pulled up slightly.
    Got just the L shape installed tonight and tried it out. Its gonna work!
    I just fit!
    I will take and post pictures tomorrow of what this first phase looks like.

I wanted the rear seat backs to remain in place so I would have a separate trunk area to haul my fishing camping gear.
    Kayaks will go on top, on the cargo racks.
    I have the Mitsubishi wind/rain deflectors and will rig some screening with velcro for ventalation and to keep mosquitos out. The deflectors will keep the rain/snow out.
    Plan is coming together and I am excited. It's going to be great to be able to economically travel and camp/sleep in my car. Did not want to have to set up or use a tent because I want to spend my time fishing and even more so because some spots I will visit have bears.
    This platform will be easy to disassemble and will
    keep the driver and passenger seat available for travel.
    The greatest thing is the only alteration I have to make to the Mirage is to remove the rear passenger area seat cushion, remove the head rest from the front passenger seat and fully recline it. Then the platform can be installed!

I love this car.
    Last edited by Bristol; 12-01-2019 at 12:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

emki (12-01-2019)