Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TSB: PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That PDI TSB is 23 pages long...and it calls for doing a comprehensive 15-minute test drive.

Reality Check: A tech probably gets paid less than 1 hour of time for each PDI he does. There's no way these cars are going through every step of the PDI process in this TSB.

I noticed that alignment is not mentioned anywhere. I guess they are supposed to pick up any alignment issues during the test drive...

Name:  pdi.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  49.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I wondered the same thing. I think it says in there somewhere to not rush or hurry. The cost for this setup procedure must be less expensive than a return visit to the dealer.

I see it as an example of Mitsubishi genuinely trying to get the best product they can out to the public.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

You mean dealers are supposed to do a pdi before you receive the car? Interesting.....
    Where are those pics of the non pdi'd cars we got earlier this year? Driven 300kms with plastic wrap on all 4 wheels, the only wrap that was removed probably fell off as they drove it on the highway. Seat covers still on, floor mats and hubcaps in bags in left in the car. At least they pushed the yellow fuse holders in most of the way.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-02-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You mean dealers are supposed to do a pdi before you receive the car? Interesting.....
    Where are those pics of the non pdi'd cars we got earlier this year? Driven 300kms with plastic wrap on all 4 wheels, the only wrap that was removed probably fell off as they drove it on the highway. Seat covers still on, floor mats and hubcaps in bags in left in the car. At least they pushed the yellow fuse holders in most of the way.
    I know when the item is a snowmobile/motorcycle/ATV the PDI is a line item on the invoice and paid for by the purchaser. I recall seeing charges as high as $500 on a $10K sled. In 2017 a Suzuki dealer tried to sneak a $450 PDI on a $10K V-Strom 650 I was going to buy.

I honestly don't recall if car dealers in Canada add the PDI as a charge to the invoice? If they do the car should be perfect when delivered. C'mon, $500 is probably enough to pay a weeks wages for the tech doing the PDI, but you can bet management likely allows the poor guy a morning, or afternoon, at most, to PDI a car.

Point is, if the buyer is paying the PDI then the buyer should expect as job done just as well as a brake job for example.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-03-2019)

Agreed. I’m sure they charge for it. Might be included as freight&pdi? Probably shows up on a build and price? I’ll look later
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    they lump freight in with PDI. $1575 for Ontario.

I remember seeing freight listed standalone once, it was $1400 leaving $175 for PDI. That should easily pay a tech, but not a mechanic, for a day. A proper PDI can be done in a day for the most part? I would think so.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Do they not consider a tech a mechanic? My licence says Automotive Service Technician. I prefer mecanick
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do they not consider a tech a mechanic? My licence says Automotive Service Technician. I prefer mecanick
    Ah, I'm not sure of the terms anymore. At my pharmacy everyone but the actual pharmacist is a tech. Our Chrysler dealer made sure to call the mechanics as such and everyone else was a tech.

Weird. I guess tech is the new term for shlep? Gotta be politically correct now
    Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weird. I guess tech is the new term for shlep? Gotta be politically correct now

I think saying "grease monkey" is an automatic $500 fine and a week in a reeducation camp.