There are two problems with the window washer system in my old 1996 Mirage. Main thing is that the washer pump doesn't work. I took out the fluid reservoir and pump, tested the pump direct to battery and it works. The issue must be somewhere in the wiring or contacts. All the fuses in the car are okay.

I needed to check all the wiring related to the wiper pump so I traced the wire bundle from the washer pump power cable back through the wheel well into the cabin. It looks like it should come through above and behind the fuse box. I looked under the drivers side dash but it's really, really hard to spot where the bundle comes through. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or advice for locating these wires, preferably with the least amount of hassle?

I'm assuming this could be one of those jobs where you have to remove half of the dash.

I took out the steering wheel stalk that controls the various wiper functions, took it apart and cleaned it and put it back in but it didn't get the pump working. The contacts did look a bit gunked up and worn so I wiped the gunk out with a paper towel and blasted the contacts with contact cleaner.

Photo – https://imgur.com/a/45s7SKF

I did a bit of quick testing on the pump's power connector with a multimeter and got some odd results. I put the probes into the power connector and put the meter on continuity check. If i hold the washer stalk all the way back in there's no continuity but if i back it off and wiggle it a bit it works, but inconsistently. I tried voltage, resistance and amps but just couldn't get a reading to come up. I'm not sure if I'm testing right but it seems like there could a problem with the control stalk.

I also need to know where all the washer pump wiring is in the car. The manual doesn't say much about the physical layout of the cabling, just electrical wiring diagrams.

The second problem is that the intermittent wiper setting doesn't work. I haven't started to look into this but I'm hoping someone knows about this one as well.