Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Didn't you fill up before you started that 240 miles trip, or did you really burn 9 gallons on 250 miles, which is less than 30mpg?
    i absolutely filled up at the last open gas station i saw which was an arco. but i also started driving around 11pm. and i was incorrect about the mileage, its 360 miles between the gas stops but only 240 miles between the " last open gas station and the next"

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    8.2 gallons was the most i ever filled into a tank. And Scotty Kilmer says to refill when it is down to 25%

But I usually do it when the last bar is blinking

You want to keep the fuel pump submerged at all times so we dont want to run the fuel pump dry. I feel most comfortable to always leave at least 1 gallon of gas in the tank ALWAYS. unless you are running away from the Cops or something.....I dont think you want to run the tank dry like that too often.

Gas here is 2.39 per gallon for 87
    Last edited by fc321; 12-06-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

On no, if Scotty says to do something then I better listen up!
    My gauge just started blinking on my way to work, it shows I have 70-80km to go til empty. By the time I got to work it stopped blinking and one bar remains. I'll fill up when I get closer to home tonight. Driving with little fuel is a good excuse to drive economically. Besides, I'm not even at 500km/300miles on this tank yet.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    On no, if Scotty says to do something then I better listen up!
    My gauge just started blinking on my way to work, it shows I have 70-80km to go til empty. By the time I got to work it stopped blinking and one bar remains. I'll fill up when I get closer to home tonight. Driving with little fuel is a good excuse to drive economically. Besides, I'm not even at 500km/300miles on this tank yet.
    I like Scotty Kilmer. I think he generally gives good recommendations. Not always ......but i tend to agree with him except if i find evidence otherwise. But not brand specific: it is best not to let the gas get so low that the fuel pump is running dry. also for reasons of fuel economy. In the final analysis i believe that the last blinking bar is a good time to refill it. that level has a certain fault tolerence built in to it by the mitsu engineers to keep the fuel pump wet and lubricated. i feel that Scotty's 25% is too conservative.

but the reason i mention it is that some people get the wrong idea (and i used to believe it too in the past) ......that its ok to let the run the tank run down almost to fumes in order to "clean it out of the old gas" or some interpretation of that......and so people know that this is completely a misguided philosophy..... and that it is more important to keep the fuel pump submerged.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Lets not make this another thread about Scotty! The horse has been beaten and dragged around enough. Then beaten some more for good measure.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-on-Mitsubishi

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...he-Mirage-2019

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...r-storms/page4

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...lacement/page2
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-06-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Lets not make this another thread about Scotty! The horse has been beaten and dragged around enough. Then beaten some more for good measure.
    I agree, 1 thread devoted to Scotty K is plenty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I agree, 1 thread devoted to Scotty K is plenty.
    Seriously, we are worried about someone sharing another mechanics opinion on matters dealing with vehicles. I find that rather ironic on a car forum. Especially coming from someone who works on cars for living!

Some guys have put 7.5 gallons of gas in their Mirage. Others have put 8.5 gallons. Another got over 9 gallons in his. Wow! Good stuff!

This is my take away from all this. Running your tank empty is not highly recommended by most good mechanics. Likewise, overfilling your gas tank can cause issues, too. A good mechanic would advise against doing both. For those, who care about their Mirage, I would focus on other threads.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but running your tank empty &/or overfilling a gas tank can cause some issues over time. I could share some mechanic opinions on this matter, but I would hate to pick the wrong one!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-07-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    On any given fill-up, what's the most gas you've ever put in your Mirage gas tank on a single fill? Whether you've let the pump shut-off automatically or tried to top off.

I got 9.295 US gallons in a month ago, and that was using the pump's auto shut-off. There's got to be others out there pulling the same stunt.
    I have only ever waited til there is 1 bar left, and then I always just fill up my gas tank again to the top.

If the gas station is not "we serve," then I just stop pumping my gas like once the pump click tells me the tank is full.

Filling to the brim...honestly I think you do run a risk of setting off an alarm ie annoying check engine light, so to the competition of getting 0.1% more gas, what really is the goal of 2 extra miles drivn anyhow. I get it the fun but you can damage the car that way.

I have never put in more than $39 to fill my Mirage. So that's important. Even when gas prices were through the roof in early 2014, when I got my Mirage, no more than $39.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Filling to the brim...honestly I think you do run a risk of setting off an alarm ie annoying check engine light, so to the competition of getting 0.1% more gas, what really is the goal of 2 extra miles drivn anyhow. I get it the fun but you can damage the car that way.
    "All US market cars sold since 1971 have a closed circuit system to trap and later burn the fumes from their gas tanks. A complex array of charcoal canisters, tubes, valves and sensors comprise a system designed to handle gasoline vapors only, not liquid fuel. Jamming too much fuel into it repeatedly can result in a Check Engine state that will keep your car from passing an emissions test and could cost hundreds of dollars or more to repair."

In some cars this can be a very expensive repair. Just something to think about when filling up.

Fummy has nothing to add. But I feel like like I’m watching a rerun

Mirage videos: