Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What took so long...
    If your at the pump and you click on the metal tab that lets you pour gas without squeezing the handle and just let it pour until it clicks off, is that overfilling or topping off? Should I not do that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If your at the pump and you click on the metal tab that lets you pour gas without squeezing the handle and just let it pour until it clicks off, is that overfilling or topping off? Should I not do that?
    Do you mean the auto shutoff feature of fuel dispensers? Isn’t that supposed to be when to stop fueling? And isn’t anything more than that called topping off?

I had one pump where the auto shutoff didn’t work. Glad I stayed with the pump to stop that overflow.

Good reading here: Wikipedia: Gasoline Pump. The article includes information on automatic cut-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Automatic cut-off
    The shut-off valve was invented in Olean, New York in 1939 by Richard C. Corson. At a loading dock at the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company, Corson observed a worker filling a barrel with gasoline and thought it inefficient. The sound of a toilet flushing later gave him the idea for a "butterfly float." After developing a prototype with his assistant, Paul Wenke, Corson gave the suggestion to the company who later filed for a patent in his name. The initial intent of the device was to "allow a person to fill more than one barrel [of gasoline] at the same time." This mechanism eventually developed into the modern gasoline pump cut-off valve.

Most modern pumps have an automatic cut-off feature that stops the flow when the tank is full. This is done with an auxiliary sensing tube running from just inside the mouth of the nozzle to a Venturi pump in the pump handle. A mechanical valve in the pump handle detects a change of pressure and closes, preventing the flow of fuel.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-08-2021 at 12:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (07-09-2021),Dirk Diggler (07-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hope your lift pump never fails on you! If that injection pump is forced to pull fuel from the tank they usually die pretty fast(hope that doesn't offend any of the softies), especially if you have a programmer.
    I'm on the 3rd lift pump, and original VP injection pump. And yes, I run a programmer too ... 1,000 lb-ft clutch required. 190k+ miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm on the 3rd lift pump, and original VP injection pump. And yes, I run a programmer too ... 1,000 lb-ft clutch required. 190k+ miles.
    Nice.
    Mine had 211,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2005 or 6. Is your lift pump still on the engine behind the fuel filter or the fancy updated in the fuel tank deal?

I ran an old blue holley electric fuel pump (for carbed cars) as a lift pump for a while when the bd one crapped out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is in the original location ... driver's side of the engine long about cylinder 4 or so. I've left my truck mostly stock. Those guys that go nuts and want to "upgrade" everything tend to wind up wrenching on the side of the road more than those who leave them alone. That's my opinion of course. I don't like the side of the road.

I like Scotty. He and I have the exact same opinion about which cars are better, and which cars are turds. He and I both own a 2009 Toyota Matrix (the wife's daily). But Scotty is an expert on repair and general vehicle knowledge. I don't consider him an expert on design. I worked in design ... for Toyota. I consider Toyota to be the KINGS of auto design. Am I an expert? Naaaaa. But I have a great understanding on the inner workings of an intelligent car maker. And the inner workings of a goof ball car company. And I believe the goof balls to be far better than the Germans (VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi) ... at least since about the mid 2000's. Porsche is better than the others listed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Porsche has some awesome PDKs and l love how the shifts are like lightining but would take a ECVT all day if it hada shifting mode...maybe mitsubishi will allow the Mirage CVT to be shiftable in the future? l think the Honda fit was the best of both worlds...had a CVT that delivered great fuel economy.....had a shiftable mode and had paddle shifters on the steering wheel so you could keep your eyes on the road....maybe it was just me but l felt like a race car driver in that thing...still do in my Mirage
    For a small car I don't think the Honda Fit has spectacular mpg numbers (actual).

https://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/fit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    For a small car I don't think the Honda Fit has spectacular mpg numbers (actual).
    Agreed. It's disappointing that some small cars consume so much fuel. VW Golf/Rabbit comes to mind too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

https://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/fit
    The Fit has a much more powerful engine than the Mirage or Spark. Also, people tend to look at engine size and curb weight when assessing fuel efficiency, but something most people overlook is the width of the tires. Both the Fit and Spark have 185 width tires. The Mirage comes standard with 165 width tires and that goes up to 175 in the 2021 model year only on the top SE trim. Less rubber on the road means less friction, less rolling resistance, and better MPG. Combined with the tiny three cylinder 76 HP engine, this is why the Mirage beats every other non-hybrid for fuel economy.

When I bought the Mirage, fuel efficiency wasn't a top priority for me. I was much more interested in the overall small length and width for parking ease and convenience, comfort of the driver seat and layout of the dashboard, and the absence of a built-in GPS tracker and/or automatic emergency SOS reporting.

The Spark has a smaller overall length and width, but that advantage was negated by the lack of seating comfort. Plus, it has standard OnStar (which I absolutely HATE), and the overall quality is inferior to the Mirage. The superior MPG of the Mirage is just an added bonus for me, and was worth giving up 20 HP, since engine size and power was also not a high priority for me either.

The Fit not only has a full 50 HP more than the Mirage with its 1.5L engine, but the length of the Fit is nearly a foot more than the Mirage and nearly two feet more than the Spark. It's small compared to most cars on the road, but it's actually kind of big for the class.
    Last edited by CrazyMind2017; 07-09-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every drop of fuel greater than the 9.2 gallons of fuel capacity, overflows and spills directly into the charcoal cannister, since it is directly under the fuel tank, like a catch can. And at some amount of charcoal cannister saturation, this could induce an unrecoverable loss of control and flat spin (exactly like Maverick on Top Gun), followed by flipping, tumbling and an explosion rivaling a MOAB. Just sayin' ... for a friend.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (07-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    at some amount of charcoal cannister saturation, this could induce an unrecoverable loss of control and flat spin (exactly like Maverick on Top Gun), followed by flipping, tumbling and an explosion rivaling a MOAB. Just sayin' ... for a friend.
    Whew! I was worried you were going to say it might hurt my MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)