Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Yeah, I went through most of it. Both evap valve worked fine and would activate with a scan tool. Vent wasn't plugged. I got to the point where the charcoal canister was the only thing left. It's someone else's problem now. Stupid Nissan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPhil View Post
    Yeah, so, here's where I admit to running out of gas a few times...

30 years of driving taught me to not trust gauges, refuel at 1/4 tank, and generally don't play around with the fuel gods.

The gas gauge in my mirage is finicky. It's also a flat out liar! The first 100k miles it was fine, and i used one of the trip trackers to count miles every time I filled up. Hit 300 miles, then fuel up, no problem.

Then something happened. I wasn't paying attention to the trip mileage, and the gas gauge still showed 1/3 full, and I ran out of gas. A couple weeks later it happened again, but was aided by an uphill stop right near the gas station. FAIL.

I've got about 138k on the car now, and looking through my gas log I've hit 9 gallons several times ...

Not the top fill up in the thread, but I'm consistent(ly bad).
    How's it running?

2nd most gas ever! (In Mirage #2)

I pumped 30.7 L this weekend for my monthly fuel up = 8.12 gal (US).

(My record was in Mirage #1, @ 34.7 L = 9.2 gal.)

The Distance to Empty number vanished after it indicated 50 km (30 mi) remaining, and I drove another 20 km or so. I could have gone another 100 km / 60 mi.!

I have generally filled to (at least) 3 clicks in all my crapbox cars and have never had flooded EVAP problems. Have never had fuel pump problems either. Maybe my crapboxes are better designed than the crapboxes Scotty K works on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-26-2021)

Is there a thread about how far you can go on a tank of fuel? I managed 560km(348 miles) on my last tank. The last bar and entire gauge was flashing. Still showed 60km til empty though.

Not sure what that worked out to for economy because I just topped it off with some fuel I had at home from a quading trip last month. I'll top it off again one day and try to flood that charcoal canister...Then try to go further.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Nope, but good idea. I think I'll start one, copying your post over as post #1...

Check back shortly for a link...

Edit - here it is:

Thread: What's the farthest you've gone on a single tank?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-26-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I fill it right up to the outer bottom lip when the petrol price is JUST right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    skyblue - Thanks for the info. I have done that all on my cars. In the U.S. cars of charcoal cannisters. And some people go off the deep end about how I'm going to flood gas into my charcoal cannister. But I've filled them to the rim for years, and have never had an issue.

Does your car (in your country) run a charcoal cannister?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

skyblue (06-29-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    skyblue - Thanks for the info. I have done that all on my cars. In the U.S. cars of charcoal cannisters. And some people go off the deep end about how I'm going to flood gas into my charcoal cannister. But I've filled them to the rim for years, and have never had an issue.

Does your car (in your country) run a charcoal cannister?
    I believe so, could be an issue if you filled it right up and parked on a downwards slope engine first, interestingly the mirage doesn't have a drain near the top of the lip, my Suzuki Alto 09-on had a overflow slipway if you filled anywhere near the top and would dump it under the back of the car discretely.

It has the holes but I haven't seen any being dumped.

I get 600 to 700km on a tank. My Alto 3cyl 1.0 litre 5 speed manual eeked out more but also demanded 95 octane. I also ran 0w20 in it because the manual said so which I've got out of doing lately. Although I'm starting to think that I think to much about viscosity and have started to just buy whatever's on sale like a skinflint.

I'm waiting for a no frills electric car that does the same or better range that doesn't cost over 15 grand, I'll be waiting a while I think. I might have to convert a small car myself considering how they all insist on having all the mod cons but that isn't cheap either.
    Last edited by skyblue; 06-29-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I get 600 to 700km on a tank.
    That's Amazing I do a Happy Dance if I can break the 500KM mark in my regular drive. Even when I try on a trip, I can't make that far on a tank...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    That's Amazing I do a Happy Dance if I can break the 500KM mark in my regular drive. Even when I try on a trip, I can't make that far on a tank...
    Very flat and very slow and I never use the A/C.