Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I pumped 9.831 gallons last night, no overflow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Where do you carry your wing tanks, and have you ever caused an accident when they get jettisoned?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    How???

Did you run it completely out of gas beforehand?

Or maybe sit there for 20 mins pouring in a cup at a time?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Any pictures, even of a receipt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How???

Did you run it completely out of gas beforehand?

Or maybe sit there for 20 mins pouring in a cup at a time?
    I stopped to fill it about 4-6 miles after the digital gas gauge display started flashing. My first fill-up back in April, I drove about 10-15 miles after it started flashing. That day, I stopped at 9.267 gallons, adding exactly 1.000 gallon after the initial click-off at 8.267. I would have pumped more that day, but I was afraid it would overflow and spill out.

On the recent fill-up, I pushed the envelope a little further. It didn't take 20 minutes, but I had to repeatedly pull the lever on the nozzle because it kept clicking off. It probably took about 4-5 minutes.

The first click was at 8.050 gallons (which makes perfect sense given the distance driven after the gauge started flashing, relative to the first fill-up) and then it took approximately 0.050-0.075 more on each additional pull. I figured 9.831 was enough and stopped there. I bet it would have taken 10 if I'd kept going. It didn't really need much time between each pull of the lever. On some other vehicles, the filler neck needs some time to burp a little each time more fuel is added, but not this Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Any pictures, even of a receipt?
    Don't believe me? The Mirage specifications state a capacity of 9.2 gallons, but that number isn't necessarily accurate. My 2013 Rogue has a listed capacity of 15.9, but I routinely put 17 in at a time, occasionally pumping as much as 17.5. That's 1.6 gallons more than the listed capacity. By pumping 9.8 into the Mirage, that's only 0.6 above the listed capacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-08-2021),Eggman (07-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Having been in automotive engineering, I'm betting the listed capacity is based on the 3D cad date of the interior shape of the tank. I would think they would include the filler neck, but I'm betting they don't because a) it's not actually part of the tank, and b) the general consensus is that they don't want you to use that part of the fuel system for fuel storage.

Does it hurt anything? I doubt it. Everybody screams, "charcoal cannister! Aaaaaaaaah!" But this isn't 1952. They've figured out how to prevent fuel from flowing into the charcoal cannister decades ago. My Toyotas are robust in not dousing the charcoal cannister as I fill them up to the filler cap (except my Lexus). I haven't done the Mirage that way yet because I questioned the robustness of its design. But crazymind has solidified the fact that it is robust as well.

With 40+ miles per gallon, every gallon squeezed is considerable range. We'll see if I bother next time.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (07-08-2021),Fummins (07-07-2021),MetroMPG (07-08-2021)

That makes sense.

Be ready for the flooded charcoal canister fear monger posts by Wikipedia copy and paster's

I've put just over 34 gallons in my 35 gallon tank in my truck more than once. That was with at least 1/8 tank remaining.

I usually fill up the Mirage with about 31 liters(8.19Ish Gallons) and stop after the second click. I usually wait til the last bar starts flashing or it's gone completely. I'm too chicken to run it much further.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (07-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a skosh over 35 gallons in my 35 gallon tank. I was pinching seat covers. Because if you run a 24V dry, you must have tools to crack loose the fuel lines to bleed the air out ... and it ain't easy. Or on a flatbed it goes. It was over 700 miles. That's 20+ mpg in a 7,135 pound 4X4 pickup truck.

I usually put 8.000 gallons in the Mirage. Because I get 1 point for every gallon. And I just happen to get gas consistently in the Mirage, and it shuts off with like 7.782 gallons (something like that). Which only gives me 7 points. I don't get that 8th point until I get that 8th gallon. So I bump it up to 8.000 ... because I'm anal and OCD. I ain't cheating myself out of a huge valuable 1 point!

Down here in the dirty dirty, we ain't got no none of them there vapo-return hoses. Or ... very few anyway. So the nozzle can be pulled back so one can see fuel gurgling down ... and regurgitating back up the filler neck. It doesn't take long to fill it to the gas cap when one can see what they're doing. Someone mention fumes escaping ... please!

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I put a skosh over 35 gallons in my 35 gallon tank. I was pinching seat covers. Because if you run a 24V dry, you must have tools to crack loose the fuel lines to bleed the air out ... and it ain't easy. Or on a flatbed it goes. It was over 700 miles. That's 20+ mpg in a 7,135 pound 4X4 pickup truck.
    Just carry around a 3/4" wrench just incase you run dry on accident or someone does for you. You don't have to crack all the injector lines to bleed the air, just open the ones you can get a wrench on. Hope your lift pump never fails on you! If that injection pump is forced to pull fuel from the tank they usually die pretty fast(hope that doesn't offend any of the softies), especially if you have a programmer. I had to replace both pumps in my 02. Twice thanks to a poorly sealed/assembled bd diesel lift pump.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    we ain't got no none of them there vapo-return hoses. Or ... very few anyway. So the nozzle can be pulled back so one can see fuel gurgling down ... and regurgitating back up the filler neck. It doesn't take long to fill it to the gas cap when one can see what they're doing. Someone mention fumes escaping ... please!
    We had those big rubber condoms on the nozzles for a while, but most were replaced by pumps with nozzles that had holes near the tip for vapor return. Now that the vast majority of cars on the road have them built in from the car manufacturers, the regulations have eased and we mostly have ordinary traditional pumps, even in a major metropolitan area in an extremely overregulated state.

I hated those big rubber condoms. They'd pump air into the tank and those air pockets would be hard to remove. The result was a lower total fuel capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Be ready for the flooded charcoal canister fear monger posts by Wikipedia copy and paster's
    Forget the charcoal canister and complaints about fumes escaping and destroying the ozone layer... there was one guy on a Honda forum when I owned a CR-V who not only made those complaints, but claimed the biggest reason he was concerned about the capless design was that if the interior seal somehow got compromised, it would effectly be like driving around in a car with a traditional fuel cap without the cap, and ON A HUMID DAY, THIS COULD CAUSE A BUILDUP OF MOISTURE IN THE TANK. Pleeeeeeeeeze! Whenever I'd get one of those air pockets in the tank from the rubber condom vapor return, I'd have to drive around for a few miles with the cap off and the tank near empty. Air has to be burped out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2021)