Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Id be teetering on the edge with fillups too if I was paying California gas prices. Massive amount of middle class Californians moving here to Atlanta because of the cost of living out there is out of control. I swear in 100 years Cali is either going to look like Mad Max/Thunderdome or a Mexican Blade Runner.
    It's awful. We recommend everyone to stay away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    8.509 US gallons. You still have about 70 miles after the bars start flashing. But it's a gamble to try to empty it as much as possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Conor shared his story in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    My 2015 just took 9.562 gallons of gas tonight. I know I was low but the car was still running and I think the pump might be out of calibration. Does this seem like it could have happened or is this the sign of a pump that ripped me off? I took a picture of the pump and the gas station. I might report this to the state if you think it is bad.

Conor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I recall the most I ever put to the autostop was a little over 7 gallons, not more than 7.1 gallons. It was the only time I saw it blinking on one bar and I filled it up shortly after that- as some say-there was probably almost 2 gallons of reserves considering 35-40miles per gallon on the low estimate. I traveled 315 miles on a single trip and single tank and based on the odometer. A nearly 5 hr trip.

This was not a usual occurrence, but trusting that the odometer on a 2019 Mirage was producing reliably 45-50mpg, I could count on at least 300miles. I didn't have any interest in running it dry and hot. I did notice why the EPA rates it 43mpg highway, after a year of driving it. It's based on Interstate traffic speeds! On the interstate, most people drive 70-80 mph on a 70mph limit, and I was barely keeping up at 60mph when it was safe to do so, and 65mph to avoid getting rear-ended.

The sweet spot is light country roads/routes with few stop signs at 40-50mph. The city is not fuel efficient nor is the interstate because the fuel steadily decreased to below 45mpg by the end of the trip, which I wasn't sure due to the tank or the engine getting "tired" (it wasn't hot or overheating with any lights however, nor was it a particularly hot day.)

But it is nice to know how they reached that conservative figure of 43mpg, since I was always getting at least 2-5 mpg more than that in the spring and autumn months. I currently get around 46-47mpg, and occasionally get 50-51 per trip (<50miles).
    Last edited by highwire; 06-22-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    8.043 Gallons for me so little over 1 gallon left.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    8.043 Gallons for me so little over 1 gallon left.
    As you pulled up to the gas pump, was your last bar on the gas gauge flashing or completely gone?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As you pulled up to the gas pump, was your last bar on the gas gauge flashing or completely gone?
    Completely gone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Completely gone.
    There are 8 units on the gas gauge, & I sort of think of them as one gallon each. If all 8 bars/units were gone & you put approximately 8 gallons in, it's not that far off that.

I know this is not an exact measurement, but it's not a terrible estimation either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There are 8 units on the gas gauge, & I sort of think of them as one gallon each. If all 8 bars/units were gone & you put approximately 8 gallons in, it's not that far off that.

I know this is not an exact measurement, but it's not a terrible estimation either.
    That was my estimation also. The last bar had just disappeared about 5 miles from when I filled up.

I fill up when the last bar starts to flash. I get a pretty consistent 28 liters/7.5 gallons in. Stopping after second click. Lately I've been getting 490-510 km/300-315 miles to a tank 41-44 mpg hand(fuelly calculated). To be nit picky, in reality those numbers should be higher as the odometer is off because of the slightly taller winter tires I'm still running. I'll get around to swapping them one day...

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)