Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalling during acceleration just after start

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unhappy Stalling during acceleration just after start

I have a 2015 Mirage and it just did something super strange. I was reversing out of my parking spot and it was like I hit a bump. I gave it gas and it went nowhere (after it was already moving). I tried again and noticed it was the accelerator seemed like it wasn't receiving the signal to give it gas. I finished reversing and tried to go forward and every-time I went past 25% throttle it would just stop and stay at 25%. I took it out of gear and revved the engine and it seemed to go away. I seems to do it only when it first starts (after cool down, not just all night) and just out of idle. I was also noticing that it has stalled (actually died) twice while idling just after start. Anyone have any ideas? It has 85k miles on it. No other issues.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Sounds like flooding. Do you step on the gas when starting? Just guessing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    These cars are known to flood when started and run for a short period (less than 30 seconds or so) then shut off, especially in cold weather. It can make for hard starting even days later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (12-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust2dust02 View Post
    I have a 2015 Mirage and it just did something super strange. I was reversing out of my parking spot and it was like I hit a bump. I gave it gas and it went nowhere (after it was already moving). I tried again and noticed it was the accelerator seemed like it wasn't receiving the signal to give it gas. I finished reversing and tried to go forward and every-time I went past 25% throttle it would just stop and stay at 25%. I took it out of gear and revved the engine and it seemed to go away. I seems to do it only when it first starts (after cool down, not just all night) and just out of idle. I was also noticing that it has stalled (actually died) twice while idling just after start. Anyone have any ideas? It has 85k miles on it. No other issues.
    My 2014 Mirage does this similar thing the odd time too. Not sure why, usually when leaving my driveway. Only happened like 10 times in 6 years. I feel like I can't flood my Mirage like I could my 85 Rabbit, but who knows.

Is your Mirage a 5 speed manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    These cars are known to flood when started and run for a short period (less than 30 seconds or so) then shut off, especially in cold weather. It can make for hard starting even days later.
    This is very true. It's now happened 3 times with my wifes car and it was always from just starting it and say moving it to the driveway and turning it back off. Then the next time you try to start it it doesnt want to. Have to hold gas pedal to the floor. Annoying for sure and I consider it a flaw in the mirage as I've never had it happen in any other car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Is your Mirage a 5 speed manual?
    Garage entry says manual. Run a bottle of techron thru it. Couldn't hurt.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-06-2019),Fummins (12-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ask him when is that last time he changed the manual transmission fluid (If ever). ?
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't ran into that one before. But I do know if you hit the throttle and brake pedal at the same time while in Drive(cvt obviously) it will cut the throttle after a second or two. Wonder if your brake switch is acting up? I had one car have the brake lights stay on(dimly) at random causing other weird problems and it turned out to be caused by the connector behind the lh kick panel. Are you the same guy that had an abs or traction control light come one a while ago while driving through water?

Thinking harder now, that shouldn't make your car stall. Check for codes if you can. You could have a code and no engine light. I may have had a car with the maf not plugged in properly, one pin was off. Car ran okay at first but after a while started stalling randomly and sometimes just wouldn't rev up. I'll try to look up thread.
    No, but the light just came on last night the same day this started happening.

It's a manual.

No codes, only ABS, Traction and Traction off lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like flooding. Do you step on the gas when starting? Just guessing.
    No, but I do goose it sometimes if the RPM dips.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not believe this is the case with my car as it was driven 25 miles freeway to the parking spot. Then started back up.