Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nokian nordman 7 studded

Country
    United States
    Thanks

nokian nordman 7 studded

ok i think i might have been the first one to get the 165/65/14 studded nokian nordman 7 tires. this is my experience so far.

aside from a 4wd/awd and the mirage being so light these provide an unparalleled grip on dry or wet pavement, ice and snow. ive used the wintermax tires on a different car. i had the Dunlop ensaves for a while. aspen touring 175's, douglas 175's and 1 other brand of tire i didnt document because it was only 1 tire.

these tires make a lot more noise than any other tires ive used, as would be expected.

sidenote: i tried to get away with only using 2 studded tires. my rear tires were pretty close to bald and i was running 165's in the front and 175's in the back while i waited for the other tires to arrive. this caused an abs panic a couple of times on the ice. both times it locked the rear tires and acted as though i was performing a handbrake turn. once in an icy parking lot where i was going slow enough that i just stopped. then again when i was driving down a slightly to extremely busy road. this time i was driving in the right lane of 2 lane 1 way street and because we have crowned roads here the rear started sliding to the right and i tried to counter steer but the rear locked up and i spun the car 180° in light traffic before sliding backwards about 10~20 feet on the one way street in the left lane when i started in the right lane. so basically i made a handbrake turn on a 2 lane road and u-turned into the fast lane before slowing to a stop against traffic. thankfully traffic was so light that i could wave people past me before making another u-turn to right myself and continue on my journey. nobody hurt, nobody panicked, just a bit of adrenaline and a hefty learning experience. lesson learned.

tldr: studded tires are better. dont buy 2 studded tires buy all 4.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's interesting. Studded tires are illegal in Ontario, Canada, where I live, but I am pretty sure if you go up North far enough you can have studded tires.

I'm surprised they're allowed in Colorado, but I have no idea what it's like there.

I do know of the non-studded variant of the Nokian's you have. Good to know they're a good tire. I just run all-seasons all year, but I really should upgrade to winters. Just the cost holds me back. Cheaping out where I shouldn't really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That's interesting. Studded tires are illegal in Ontario, Canada, where I live, but I am pretty sure if you go up North far enough you can have studded tires.

I'm surprised they're allowed in Colorado, but I have no idea what it's like there.
    You should visit Colorado - it's beautiful. And if you go in the winter, you'll understand why studded tires are not only allowed, but on some mountain roads they are required (think trucks.)

Hey benwerks, thanks for your report on the Nokian Nordman 7 studded. I'm going to guess that the studs are replaceable?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I just run all-seasons all year, but I really should upgrade to winters. Just the cost holds me back. Cheaping out where I shouldn't really.
    I got a set of 4 cheap ass winter tires coming for $222 delivered to my door. Obviously you can add Ontario tax to that price but it's not expensive to have decent winter tires. Find a guy on kijiji with a tire machine to install and balance them for cheap and your set.

And with that said, I haven't had a single problem running the 6 year old stock dunlops this winter, but we haven't had a lot of snow yet.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Thanks for the review. I have a new set of studded Hakkepelliitas that may go on my car soon if the weather starts getting nasty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    in colorado we have traction laws for the vehicles going through the mountains on i-70. i think the fine is around $5000 for truckers trying to get by without having tire chains. i feel like the studded tires are essential out here even though outside of the mountains its pretty tame all year. this state has erratic weather systems. also even if it snows and melts in the same day the tempreture drops so much at night the roads will ice over if is less than 60°f during the day and there is any moisture left at sundown. the side roads go untreated (mostly) and have ice buildup for pretty much the rest of the year until its over 70 for a few days. then you have the hail storms that require the snowplows to plow the highways because traffic stopped. the snow isnt the the big reason for having studded tires unless its over 4" deep. its the ice under the snow the next day. because the ground is pretty warm the night after it snows, or during, the snow closest to the road will melt and freeze again by the next morning. most of the state has a, take your chances, attitude towards the roads.

"all 4 seasons in a day" is something you hear fairly regularly round these parts and people run studded tires year round.

eggman, i dont think the studs are removable or replaceable. that would be cool but im too lazy to deal with that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have a new set of studded Hakkepelliitas that may go on my car soon if the weather starts getting nasty.
    are those 175's?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You should visit Colorado - it's beautiful. And if you go in the winter...
    dont go in the winter. go between the end of may and the beginning of september. unless you want to go skiing or some other kind of winter nonsense. june-september is tourist season for non-surprise winter weather. unless youre into that sort of thing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post

eggman, i dont think the studs are removable or replaceable. that would be cool but im too lazy to deal with that.
    Studs are not legal in Wisconsin. I have a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires. They are no different than the studded tires minus the studs.

Anyone can remove the studs from a snow tire. Just look it up on YouTube.com. Studs can be replaced or removed. My tires could have studs added to them. The holes are already there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    are those 175's?
    Nope. They are 155/70-14s...a size I didn't know existed here.