Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had sound dampening installed by third party, ODBII pulling code B1506

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Had sound dampening installed by third party, ODBII pulling code B1506

My mirage is a 2015 ES.

I had some sound dampening installed by a third party company and rolled off with a airbag code -- both of us assuming it was just mad we pulled the seats out and just needed a reset I took my mirage into the dealer for 40k service and asked them to pull the code and they came back with B1506.

Code B1506 is "Driver seat position switch open" for SRS. I cannot locate a driver seat position switch on wiring diagrams at all -- only seatbelt, side airbag and heated seats. I do not have the heated seat feature, so I see two connections to the seat with one loose... however, I do see an empty connector to the left closer to the emergency brake. Is this the connector that's missing? I can't seem to find what it is, but I did find a picture here that shows something connected to it.

floor wiring with 3 connectors shown but no 4th on drivers side:
    Name:  floor wiring.png
Views: 2611
Size:  76.2 KB

empty connector under seat:
    Name:  empty connector.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  93.8 KB

picture showing something connected (just barely) from https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post27316:
    Name:  WP_20150516_008.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  96.8 KB

Not really sure what to do here since there's no loose connector under the seat.. I don't have a garage to take the seat out and see if anything's just sitting under the carpet. Can anyone confirm that there is something connected to this thing under the seat?

Right now I'm scheduled to go back to the dealer Thursday morning for diagnostics on it but i'm wondering if there's just something i'm missing.

Thank you for any help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpiticus View Post
    My mirage is a 2015 ES.

I had some sound dampening installed by a third party company and rolled off with a airbag code -- both of us assuming it was just mad we pulled the seats out and just needed a reset I took my mirage into the dealer for 40k service and asked them to pull the code and they came back with B1506.

Code B1506 is "Driver seat position switch open" for SRS. I cannot locate a driver seat position switch on wiring diagrams at all -- only seatbelt, side airbag and heated seats. I do not have the heated seat feature, so I see two connections to the seat with one loose... however, I do see an empty connector to the left closer to the emergency brake. Is this the connector that's missing? I can't seem to find what it is, but I did find a picture here that shows something connected to it.

floor wiring with 3 connectors shown but no 4th on drivers side:

empty connector under seat:

picture showing something connected (just barely) from https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post27316:
    Name:  WP_20150516_008.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  96.8 KB

Not really sure what to do here since there's no loose connector under the seat.. I don't have a garage to take the seat out and see if anything's just sitting under the carpet. Can anyone confirm that there is something connected to this thing under the seat?

Right now I'm scheduled to go back to the dealer Thursday morning for diagnostics on it but i'm wondering if there's just something i'm missing.

Thank you for any help.
    Hello Derpiticus and welcome to the forum.

I believe the seat position switch is used by the SRS (airbag system) to determine airbag deployment strength. I'm pretty sure it's two stages.

I also believe the seat position switch was covered in a TSB. I'll try to find it.

If your dealer was able to extract the code, why didn't they just fix it for you?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went in yesterday -- a Saturday and they didn't have any techs that could actually diagnose the issue. Only maintenance people at the time. This isn't the first time this particular dealer has mentioned this. It seems this location only has techs of that level during weekdays.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went in yesterday -- a Saturday and they didn't have any techs that could actually diagnose the issue. Only maintenance people at the time. This isn't the first time this particular dealer has mentioned this. It seems this location only has techs of that level during weekdays.
    That stinks. Well, if I understand correctly, the circuit involved is a simple switch and should be easy to troubleshoot and diagnose.

This post is one of several in a thread that should give more detail about the seat position sensor circuit:
    TSB−16−52B−004
    SUBJECT: SRS UPDATES: SEAT SLIDE SENSOR, SEATBELT SWITCH ADDED TO CIRCUIT DIAGRAMS

If it turns out your problem is directly relevant to this series of TSBs, I'll move these posts to that thread for further discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent, it does look like it was just missing in the diagrams. All this hassle over maybe just a forgotten connection. guess I'll go see if I can find it without taking the seat out now.

Thank you Eggman!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent, it does look like it was just missing in the diagrams. All this hassle over maybe just a forgotten connection. guess I'll go see if I can find it without taking the seat out now.

Thank you Eggman!
    Well, I hope that you are able to fix it - I would hate to send you down the wrong path!

Looks like you're on the right track. I hope you have a good flashlight.

Be sure to let us know what you find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tried opening up the console where the cup holders are to see if I could poke around in there for the connector, but there was nothing I could feel around for in there with the limited angles that gave me. I also felt around as much as I could under the driver seat from behind but looking at the diagram that was the wrong angle. I'm hoping that connector is just loose somewhere under the carpet. hopefully it's just a charge of labor, wouldn't want to solder up a resistor to the SRS ECU or face replacement of the wiring harness. will keep you posted when i find out new stuff.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The three connectors are, from left to right, the side airbag module, the heated seat (even if you don't have heated seats the connector is there), and the front seat belt switch. The 4th connector on the passenger side is the occupant classification ECU which detects the weight of the occupant and alters the force of the passenger airbag.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anything either regarding that rail connector.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I can't remember... Do you have to disconnect the battery before you take the seats out of a Mirage to avoid this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    The three connectors are, from left to right, the side airbag module, the heated seat (even if you don't have heated seats the connector is there),
    Not all Mirages, perhaps all US '15 but not all Canadian '17.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)