Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 without TPMS?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2018 without TPMS?

I'm not a wealthy fellow. Surprise: I drive a Mirage (honestly if you knew the last few vehicles I had, you could see I'm moving up in the world). It took me over half a year to get my Enasaves onto some Craigslist rims and purchase snow tires for the steelies. Well, I had the TPMS moved to the Craigslist wheels and thought I'd just go without for the winter months. Now Discount Tire says I need TPMS for them.
    No. I can live with seeing a tire pressure error message in the winter. So, do I tell the next place I ask that I have an older Mirage? Do I take the Mirage hubcaps off and ask them to mount fancy, new snow tires on my "trailer" wheels? And then install them myself in the MN weather this week?
    Any help would be appreciated, local help would be great! I'm in a northern MPLS suburb.

That's dumb. But they're probably just trying to cover their azz. I you just have wheels that you need tires mounted on them, just bring them in and say their off an older one or off a trailer. Just make something up that doesn't require them.

I've had to do that when I wanted crappy tires I got from the dump mounted on crusty old wheels, just said they're for an off road farm trailer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yeah, I'd just take them off completely and take the 4 loose wheels (without hubcaps) in and say they are for a Suzuki Carry or some other utility vehicle that has a 4x100 bolt pattern.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When did the U.S. Mirage start requiring TPMS? 2017? Most won't know what a 2014 looks like, but if they install them they might check my VIN. I may have to install them myself...maybe Thursday when it pulls back out of the single digits...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    When did the U.S. Mirage start requiring TPMS? 2017? Most won't know what a 2014 looks like, but if they install them they might check my VIN. I may have to install them myself...maybe Thursday when it pulls back out of the single digits...
    My 2015 has TPMS. My understanding is that US models have all been imported with TPMS active since the Mirage was reintroduced in the USA in 2014.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I'm not a wealthy fellow. Surprise: I drive a Mirage (honestly if you knew the last few vehicles I had, you could see I'm moving up in the world). It took me over half a year to get my Enasaves onto some Craigslist rims and purchase snow tires for the steelies. Well, I had the TPMS moved to the Craigslist wheels and thought I'd just go without for the winter months. Now Discount Tire says I need TPMS for them.
    No. I can live with seeing a tire pressure error message in the winter. So, do I tell the next place I ask that I have an older Mirage? Do I take the Mirage hubcaps off and ask them to mount fancy, new snow tires on my "trailer" wheels? And then install them myself in the MN weather this week?
    Any help would be appreciated, local help would be great! I'm in a northern MPLS suburb.

I would only do two options when it comes to this, but I am speaking for myself.

Option 1: I would leave the sensors in my main set of wheels (summer tires), and live without sensors in my winter tires.

Option 2: I would have my winter tires sensors cloned to my summer tire sensors. If Discount Tire can do that for you, I would consider that route. When you go to change tires, you don't have to do anything (& your dash light will be off).

I would never allow someone to add different sensors to my winter tires, unless they are cloned to the original sensors. I have zero interest in reprogramming my Mirage every time I change tires. Plus, it's been a bit of a pain for some to reprogram their Mirage anyways.

My Forester's winter tires have sensors in them. They are WORTHLESS! Wasted $160. I don't have the tool, nor would I take the time to change the codes every time I change tires. I surely wouldn't visit a Subaru dealership (130 miles round trip) to do this! This was my first vehicle with sensors, & I am never making that mistake again!

It's cloning or nothing for me. To help you further -

An Autel TS408 tool is about $128 with free shipping on eBay.
    Autel's clone-able sensors are approximately $30 each with free shipping. They aren't any more expensive than many other sensors.

Thus, it would cost you about $250 to set up your own sensors that match up your car. Should you need to replace a bad sensor some day you would have the tool to do that. These sensors could be cloned to other vehicles, too. In my case having two vehicles with winter tires makes buying this tool may be worthwhile. I just haven't bothered yet. Next time I do something with tires, I may however.

If winter tires were a big investment for you, live without sensors & ask Santa for the Autel TS408 tool.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-09-2019 at 10:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My 2015 has TPMS. My understanding is that US models have all been imported with TPMS active since the Mirage was reintroduced in the USA in 2014.
    In the United States, TPMS is mandatory for all vehicles produced after September 2007. In the European Union, TPMS is mandatory for all new passenger vehicles released after November 1, 2012. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger vehicles sold in the European Union must be equipped with TPMS.

If you don't like TPMS, you can thank Ford & Firestone!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-10-2019)

If you don’t like tpms move to Canada lol
    If my mirage had tpms I’d put whatever sensors work in the wheels and program the car. I thought you can program at least 2 sets of 4 sensors in these cars.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you don’t like tpms move to Canada lol
    If my mirage had tpms I’d put whatever sensors work in the wheels and program the car. I thought you can program at least 2 sets of 4 sensors in these cars.
    I've heard of programming two sets of sensors in Europe where snow tires are required by law.

People have made reference to programming two sets of sensors, but I am not aware of anyone being able to do that in the United States (with a Mirage). It would be a nice thing to know how to do, but I've never heard of anyone doing it here. If someone knows how to do it, please share.

If you don't want a dash light on, cloning both set of wheels to each other is best. Once your second set of wheels are cloned to the factory set, you are done. If 8 sensors could be programmed, that would be great. Anyone do this with a Mirage in the States?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

I’ll look again tomorrow, I’m sure there’s a spot to program 2-3 sets of sensors in the tpms menus on the scanner I use.
    For some stupid reason I was watching mirage reviews again and came across a 16’ mirage that had tpms and showed the pressures of each tires on the nav screen.

Mirage videos: