Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 without TPMS?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    You can thank Ford and Firestone for this. As has been suggested, I'd take the wheels and tires into an indy shop and say they are for a 1995 Civic or something. Let them call you a liar!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    For some stupid reason I was watching mirage reviews again and came across a 16’ mirage that had tpms and showed the pressures of each tires on the nav screen.
    The TPMS for a Mirage in the States is nothing special. It doesn't indicate anything other than a tire has low psi. It doesn't tell you which tire is low, & it surely doesn't give you the psi of each tire. Translation: carry a psi tire gauge in your car.

Just an observation this fall - When I added two tires without sensors, it took approximately 18 miles of driving before my Mirage's TPMS light started flashing and came on. I put the tires on. I drove to school/work (12 miles from home). I started the car up & headed home at the end of day. The light still hadn't come on. When I got about half-way home, the light started to flash and then stayed on. It took at least 18 miles for this indicator to show up.

My Forester TPMS light came on in about 5-6 miles of driving with snow tires. It was lit up long before I made it town.

When I start both vehicles now, the TPMS light flashes about 10 times and then stays on. The light reminds me that I have snow tires on I guess. I wouldn't lose sleep over this feature. It's nothing special on a Mirage. A $2 psi tire gauge does more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-10-2019)

That’s how the nv200/city express vans are. Pita. But better than nothing, I can’t count how many times I bring a car in for an oil change and a back tire only has 10-15psi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    I’ll look again tomorrow, I’m sure there’s a spot to program 2-3 sets of sensors in the tpms menus on the scanner I use.
    That would be cool.

For some stupid reason I was watching mirage reviews again and came across a 16’ mirage that had tpms and showed the pressures of each tires on the nav screen.
    There's a lot of cognitive dissonance with this one - there's no 2016s and there's no TPMS on no screen.

Must be some other car. The Mirage is friendly, but not that friendly!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I'm not a wealthy fellow. Surprise: I drive a Mirage (honestly if you knew the last few vehicles I had, you could see I'm moving up in the world). It took me over half a year to get my Enasaves onto some Craigslist rims and purchase snow tires for the steelies. Well, I had the TPMS moved to the Craigslist wheels and thought I'd just go without for the winter months. Now Discount Tire says I need TPMS for them.
    No. I can live with seeing a tire pressure error message in the winter. So, do I tell the next place I ask that I have an older Mirage? Do I take the Mirage hubcaps off and ask them to mount fancy, new snow tires on my "trailer" wheels? And then install them myself in the MN weather this week?
    Any help would be appreciated, local help would be great! I'm in a northern MPLS suburb.
    Or just hit up the no questions ask shop scene. There's plenty in my area. Id hit up a low rent used tire place. Id go to lil Mexico or Chinatown in Atlanta if I need cheap, we mind or own business, service.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    - there's no 2016s and there's no TPMS on no screen.

Must be some other car.

Surely you Jest!
    This one even has chrome rear inner door handles!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've heard of programming two sets of sensors in Europe where snow tires are required by law.

People have made reference to programming two sets of sensors, but I am not aware of anyone being able to do that in the United States (with a Mirage). It would be a nice thing to know how to do, but I've never heard of anyone doing it here. If someone knows how to do it, please share.

If you don't want a dash light on, cloning both set of wheels to each other is best. Once your second set of wheels are cloned to the factory set, you are done. If 8 sensors could be programmed, that would be great. Anyone do this with a Mirage in the States?
    My experience is that the US version can only recognize one set of sensors...but I've trained my local Discount Tire to reset the sensors when switching :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

This one even has chrome rear inner door handles!!
    Oh, that's the one that was specially built for the Queen. They only made one that year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    ...Discount Tire says I need TPMS for them.
    A repair shop in the US cannot knowingly make a TPMS system non-functional. It's the law and they are just protecting their bottom line.

Sometimes you have to carry your wheels in to a shop and then tell them they are going on something else. That way it relieves them of any potential liability.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    I’ll look again tomorrow, I’m sure there’s a spot to program 2-3 sets of sensors in the tpms menus on the scanner I use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)