Thread: Remember: the Mirage has an electric resistance heater (that draws a lot of current)

Remember: the Mirage has an electric resistance heater (that draws a lot of current)

Another reason to get a block heater / use your cabin heater judiciously (before the coolant warms up):

To augment heater performance the Mirage is equipped with an electric heating pad that is positioned in front of the heater core in the HVAC case. It warmes the air flowing to and through the heater core so it gives warm air quicker plus some of the heat gets passed on to the coolant circulating inside the heater core through this flow of warm air helping with engine warmup time.

Both automatic and manual A/C systems got it.

It is called PTC heater (Positive Temperature Coefficient) and it will operate under the following conditions:

-Engine running
    -Blower fan on
    -Temperature setting: any except MAX cool
    -Outside temp 59 degree F or lower (ambient temp sensor is at top of lower grill opening on driver side)
    -Engine coolant temp 167 degree F or lower
    -Generator output 70% or less

It has 4 heating elements controlled by 3 relays. One of the relays run 2 of the elements and the other 2 has their own elements to operate.
    More: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post18209

Tim (Daox) says he's seen it pull as much as 30 amps. That puts a pretty big drag on the engine.

===========

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I searched for a thread on this topic before posting, and somehow missed this one with lots of good info:

Thread: Electric Element in Heater

Closing this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Another reason to get a block heater / use your cabin heater judiciously (before the coolant warms up):

More: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post18209

Tim (Daox) says he's seen it pull as much as 30 amps. That puts a pretty big drag on the engine.

I typically leave the blower off until the green engine temp indicator goes off. That should eliminate the draw.

Pretty close, yeah.

The green temp light goes out when coolant temp hits 137 degrees F.

The resistance heater may be on until it hits 167 F.

It'd be nice if it had an over-ride switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

How does the grid/electric heater work? I mean does anyone know if it only turns on for a few minutes when heater is on full hot or does it cycle as needed while coolant temps vary? I've never looked into it. Could always just pull the fuses or relays that are in the little under hood box in front of the battery.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if pulling the relays throws an abs light or some other weird issue pops up.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Ha - I went looking for the DRL fuse (my manual says it's in in the same under hood fuse box)... and there ain't one there. I wonder if the heater fuse/relays are actually there.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha - I went looking for the DRL fuse (my manual says it's in in the same under hood fuse box)... and there ain't one there. I wonder if the heater fuse/relays are actually there.
    They are, they have their own little fuse box down low in front of the battery. The electric heater I mean. The 17 and newer cars have one less relay and fuse for some reason.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    Attachment 13656
    Relay box(tested all 3 elements with ammeter) working
    Lets see if this works
    Mirage videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just checked a 17' with manual controls, same thing.

Attachment 13677
    And a 2017
    Mirage videos:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-12-2019)

Ha - OK you win for using search better than I can.

Honest, I actually looked before I started this thread and that thread didn't pop up.

Never mind, people. There's already a good thread on the topic:

Thread: Electric Element in Heater