Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone know who makes kirkland brand synthetic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    if everyone just had one opinion or one point of view (like doing exactly what mitsu says) what fun would any of these discussions be?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    if everyone just had one opinion or one point of view (like doing exactly what mitsu says) what fun would any of these discussions be?
    That would make life boring for sure!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    That is damned cheap. I am sure it is perfectly good oil. I was just at Costco...wish I had seen it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That is damned cheap. I am sure it is perfectly good oil. I was just at Costco...wish I had seen it!
    I haven't seen it at our store, and I check the automotive aisle almost every time I go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5 quarts of SuperTech for $14.88 is cheaper. If they don't have it on the shelf, you can get free pickup any time you want some. Probably the same oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    5 quarts of SuperTech for $14.88 is cheaper. If they don't have it on the shelf, you can get free pickup any time you want some. Probably the same oil?
    It probably is the same base stock, though I would expect a different additive pack. PQIA should post a report on a test - then we can compare the two brands.

But if there is little difference between the Kirkland and SuperTech synthetics, there's no need to go get a Costco membership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't think Costco Canada has anything as cost effective. I shopped there close after buying 12-14 jugs of Mobil 1 from Walmart and nothing at Costco caught my eye enough to considering returning the Mobil 1 and buying the Kirkland.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not by much, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the exact same oil. $14.88/5 = $2.97 per quart. $29.99/10 = $3.00 per quart.

I don't really like going to Walmart every third month or so just to buy oil. I haven't had a Costco membership in years, but my mom still does. I had her order me three of these. My car has 134,000 miles on it now. I have enough oil to go over 200,000 miles. Hope I make it that far!

Now, I just have to buy more filters...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not by much, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the exact same oil. $14.88/5 = $2.97 per quart. $29.99/10 = $3.00 per quart.

I don't really like going to Walmart every third month or so just to buy oil. I haven't had a Costco membership in years, but my mom still does. I had her order me three of these. My car has 134,000 miles on it now. I have enough oil to go over 200,000 miles. Hope I make it that far!

Now, I just have to buy more filters...
    That's splitting hairs about price. Costco was expressed as a sale's price. Walmart sells for cheap 24/7.

Personally, I took advantage of Mobil 1 rebates in the past, & I am using up my small stockpile of it. When I started using 0W-20 oil for my 2011 Subaru in 2013, Mobil 1 was the most available 0W-20 oil on the store shelves. Thus I started using Mobil 1 for my Subaru, & I just carried that over to my Mirage. I have nothing against Mobil 1 or any synthetic oil for that matter. I've just reach my own personal conclusion that any 0W-20 oil will do the job.

Now, that SuperTech 0W-20 is available I will eventually go to that. I have noticed SuperTech 0W-20 on more local Walmart store shelves in the past year or so. Sadly, my most local store doesn't carry it yet. Since I have two vehicles that use 0W-20 oil & one of them uses 5.5 quarts, I will probably take advantage of Walmart's 3-pack deal. $42.54 buys you 15 quarts of oil. For those of you that hate going to Walmart, Walmart will deliver it to your door (2-day free shipping). I take advantage of that for a lot of my shopping these days. I prefer Walmart over other vendors, because it's easy to return unwanted items there.

Costco would be a 130-miles round trip for me, & I don't have a membership. I don't sense an urgency to jump on a sale when I can get almost the same product any time for less. Costco may have free shipping on items, but I have never bought anything from them. Maybe a Costco customer can clarify that?

Mobil 1 rebates have been good in the past, too! It's nice to have more 0W-20 options now.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-20-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Costco is carrying this Kirkland synthetic engine oil in a six-pack of quart size bottles in 5W-30. I wonder if my store will carry other viscosities such as 5W- or 0W-20.