Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone know who makes kirkland brand synthetic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

anyone know who makes kirkland brand synthetic?

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100518855.html

its on sale for $30 for 10qts. crazy deal that i may get it before finding out who makes it.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks dude. i didnt get that result in my search. looks like warren might be a decent brand.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    thanks dude. i didnt get that result in my search. looks like warren might be a decent brand.
    Warren blends for a lot of private labels. If I recall correctly, I think they do Amazon synthetic.

I'd buy that over Mobil1.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-15-2019 at 08:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sign...100518855.html

its on sale for $30 for 10qts. crazy deal that i may get it before finding out who makes it.
    Search who makes Walmart's SuperTech Synthetic Oil?

Answer: "The oil is produced by Warren Oil Company, Inc. which is one of America's largest independent lubricant manufacturer. You can easily spot WPP written at the bottom of the Supertech Oil container. Mar 11, 2019"

SuperTech 0W-20 Full Synthetic Oil is $14.88 for 5 quarts pretty much all the time. That's full price no sale price. My guess is Amazon Basics is not much different, nor what you posted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    it seems good enough

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    it seems good enough
    Exactly. If it meets the manufacturer's stated requirements, it'll do. Anything else is preference & opinion.

In the case of the Mirage 3A92, my 2015 owner's manual says:
    Engine oils displaying the ILSAC certification mark (“starburst” symbol) on the container.
    If these oils are not available, an API classification SN or higher can be used.
    And of course, we all know 0W-20 is the manufacturer's recommended viscosity...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Weren’t there different recommendations for different regions?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    This is how I look at this topic of oil (not saying I am right).

Our highest mileage forum member is probably Steve. Steve has 280,000+ miles on his Mirage now. Steve's Mirage has received 5W-30 conventional oil/filter changes every 5,000 miles for most of its life. His last oil change was the first time synthetic oil has been added to his car, and the dealer providing free lifetime oil changes is bumping up the interval to 7,500 miles now.

Steve's Mirage doesn't burn oil & hasn't had any leaks. He has had zero engine issues so far. I hope that I am not jinxing him by saying that. Anyone using a synthetic oil of any type is probably using a better oil than what Steve's car has had.

Whether you use Mobil 1, Valvoline, SuperTech, or any other type of synthetic oil probably doesn't matter that much. I think using a good oil filter and not extending oil intervals to far is more important.

Bottom line: Taking care of your car with good maintenance practices is more important than the type of oil you put in these cars in my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Weren’t there different recommendations for different regions?
    Absolutely not. Temperatures, yes. Regions, no.

Please. Surely you understand by now that a good debate needs the right kindling. I mean how else would we over-analyze this?

Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.