Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian key cloning

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Canadian key cloning

The American owers manual states you can reprogram a key if you have two working keys on hand.

The Canadian manual says the dealer must program a new key for the car.

Since I doubt the hardware between the models is different I suspect that ETACS holds the answer to this. Has anyone come across any settings in there for cloning a key? I guess moreso, has anyone even looked to see if there is a category that relates to things like security and keys and so on.

Could someone have a look?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The American owers manual states you can reprogram a key if you have two working keys on hand.

The Canadian manual says the dealer must program a new key for the car.

Since I doubt the hardware between the models is different I suspect that ETACS holds the answer to this. Has anyone come across any settings in there for cloning a key? I guess moreso, has anyone even looked to see if there is a category that relates to things like security and keys and so on.

Could someone have a look?
    I went through the owner's manual when I bought my Mirage, but I don't really know what I could do to help you.

Do you not have a copy? I have my French edition kicking around in the house somewhere, but my English owner's manual is in the car, outside, in that thing called "winter."

I just got 2 regular keys. No electronic key FOB with my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    This has nothing to do with whether or not your car has remote keyless entry. Even though you don't have remote keyless entry, your key is still chipped. You can't just cut a new key to start your car. It would unlock the door manually, but a new chipped key would have to be programmed to start the car.

We have $2 duplicate keys that allow our driving instructors to enter our cars manually. If they want to start the car, however, they must pull the chipped key out of the glovebox. It's our cheap way of getting around this.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I went through the owner's manual when I bought my Mirage, but I don't really know what I could do to help you.

Do you not have a copy? I have my French edition kicking around in the house somewhere, but my English owner's manual is in the car, outside, in that thing called "winter."

I have the owners manual which states you can't get a 3rd key to work like in US cars.

I'm curious what your keys look like? Do they lack buttons of any sort?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have the owners manual which states you can't get a 3rd key to work like in US cars.

I'm curious what your keys look like? Do they lack buttons of any sort?
    Those who don't have remote keyless entry have a key with no buttons. I believe the base level Mirage in Canada would be like that. We were never offered a trim level that basic here.

If you don't have remote keyless entry, you have a key with a chip (no buttons). My manual shows all three options even those none of the U.S. cars come without remote keyless entry or the FAST-key entry system.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    CDN trim levels have been fewer than the US.

Our base 2014, sold as an ES, had no AC, crank rear windows and I guess no keyless remote. Other items were probably deleted as well. Our base 2017 ES now had AC, PW front/rear and remote keyless, steel wheels. This is what I bought. I can upgrade many things moving towards SE trim but some items, heated mirrors/seats, perhaps HVAC, are too difficult to backtrack and add the wiring harnesses.

Oh well, I have deluxe SE trim on my high mile 2014 which is my main car and my partner has taken over the 2017.

I’m pretty sure the base es still hAs no ac. At least up to 2019. You had to add the plus package for $4000? that includes ac,Bluetooth,and keyless entry.

I’ll look into programming a key in a bit. What are you trying to do, get an extra key programmed without going to the dealer?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’m pretty sure the base es still hAs no ac. At least up to 2019. You had to add the plus package for $4000? that includes ac,Bluetooth,and keyless entry.

I’ll look into programming a key in a bit. What are you trying to do, get an extra key programmed without going to the dealer?
    d
    Yes, I forgot about the $4000 "plus" package. So much coin for very few extras. AC at one point was $1100 standalone. The CVT upgrade was $1100. Mitsu would not allow the purchase of a base 5mT with CVT #AND# AC upgrades. You could buy the base 5mt and go CVT for $1100. You could buy the base 5mt and go AC for $1100. But not both. Oh, and standalone BT was $420.

I almost forgot. Yes, I'm trying to add a key to each of my cars without involving the dealer.

Do you have keyless entry? All the cars at work and mine do. The 14-15’s have the fob piece that pops out of the key head. I think the immobilizer is part of that piece with the buttons. I would assume one could pick up a key from amazon, then grab the key fob piece from eBay or.... then program it. I’ll check with the scanner if Theres an option if I remember.

I was able to program a similar looking key in a 15 Nissan. I had to program the key itself so it’d start then the keyless part separately so the fob would work. Saved about $200 in programming at the Nissan dealer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Do you have keyless entry? All the cars at work and mine do. The 14-15’s have the fob piece that pops out of the key head. I think the immobilizer is part of that piece with the buttons. I would assume one could pick up a key from amazon, then grab the key fob piece from eBay or.... then program it. I’ll check with the scanner if Theres an option if I remember.

I was able to program a similar looking key in a 15 Nissan. I had to program the key itself so it’d start then the keyless part separately so the fob would work. Saved about $200 in programming at the Nissan dealer.
    From previous discussions over the past couple years, I have the impression your company buys the ES PLUS CVT, which gives you items like A/C & remote keyless entry. A Canadian ES trim level would have plain key with a chip embedded in it.

The manual states Americans can buy a chipped key from a place like eBay & program it (providing you still have both factory keys). It also clearly states in our owner's manual that Canadians cannot do this. Sometime is obviously different, but I don't think it is our intelligence!

I also have the impression that no special tool is needed to do this procedure with our keys. If you follow the correct steps, the new chipped key will be programmed to work. This new chipped key would manually unlock your car door and start the car. It would not provide you with remote keyless entry, however.