Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil change nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am installing a Fumoto at my next oil change. Had one on my Geo Metro, and it was great!
    Yes buy the Fumoto or the competing brand named EZ Oil drain valve. They both perform same function so buy whichever one is cheaper. Also remember guys that you can use same valve over and over again in the future on future vehicles. It basically lasts for a lifetime so it makes the $18 price a good investment. And dont forget to save the factory oil bolt and washer so you can put it back on when you sell your car.

If you guys are in the mood for Conspiracy Theories I would say that manufacturers are making it hard to change your own oil to make the car more "Dealer Dependent" and they may even instruct the grease monkeys at Quick Lube to over-tighten the filter ON PURPOSE to dissuade owners to do it themself. But we have tricks to get that bugger off such as using a mousepad or even the hack of hammering a flatblade screwdriver into the filter and then using that to twist it off.

Where there is a will there is a way. With enough patience and with the right tools (or the hacks) even a wimp can get it off. And dont even get me started on the tire shops that over-torque the wheel bolts with an impact wrench.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    the tire shops that over-torque the ALLOY wheel bolts with an impact wrench.
    And crack the wheel....
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-18-2019),iriegnome (12-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to keep the crazy train here going, I bought my 65mm 14 flute filter wrench (I believe it is called a 901) for my Mirage from Ebay for $3 shipped. It should be here in time for the next oil change!! Hey for $3 used 3 times per year, it should pay for itself in one use...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iriegnome For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-17-2019)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use an STP filter which is larger than OEM and takes about 10 mins from above the engine bay.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I use a Hastings LF486 or Baldwin 1431 (same filter). They are longer than the OEM filter and it clears the radiator hose without any rubbing. It's super easy to grab ahold of from the top since you don't really have to reach underneath anything to remove or install it. As a bonus you get a couple hundred more cc's of oil capacity because the filter can hold more oil. And as a double bonus, I use the same filter on my Outlander Sport.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (12-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I use a Hastings LF486 or Baldwin 1431 (same filter). They are longer than the OEM filter and it clears the radiator hose without any rubbing. It's super easy to grab ahold of from the top since you don't really have to reach underneath anything to remove or install it. As a bonus you get a couple hundred more cc's of oil capacity because the filter can hold more oil. And as a double bonus, I use the same filter on my Outlander Sport.
    I really don't think you can buy a recommended oil filter that won't fit the Mirage. The Hasting/Baldwin oil filters @ 4" height would be one of the longer choices.

Oil filters like the Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317, Purolator BOSS PBL14610, & Purolator ONE PL14610, & Motorcraft FL-822 are approximately 3.5".

Using a 65mm/14 flutes oil filter socket will work with any of these filters. I like using my 3/8" stubby ratchet when doing this job, but any 3/8" ratchet drive will work.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-20-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Yes buy the Fumoto or the competing brand named EZ Oil drain valve. They both perform same function so buy whichever one is cheaper. Also remember guys that you can use same valve over and over again in the future on future vehicles. It basically lasts for a lifetime so it makes the $18 price a good investment. And dont forget to save the factory oil bolt and washer so you can put it back on when you sell your car.

If you guys are in the mood for Conspiracy Theories I would say that manufacturers are making it hard to change your own oil to make the car more "Dealer Dependent" and they may even instruct the grease monkeys at Quick Lube to over-tighten the filter ON PURPOSE to dissuade owners to do it themself. But we have tricks to get that bugger off such as using a mousepad or even the hack of hammering a flatblade screwdriver into the filter and then using that to twist it off.

Where there is a will there is a way. With enough patience and with the right tools (or the hacks) even a wimp can get it off. And dont even get me started on the tire shops that over-torque the wheel bolts with an impact wrench.
    i don't think that's a conspiracy theory about the oil filter. Many new Toyota's require a special oil filter wrench that is not commonly found in auto shops. I think Toyota actually refers to it as an SST or Special Service Tool.....just to get the filter off. Its 100% made to get people into the dealer. No other reason to change something that has worked for decades.

Back to the original thread, I use this tool with an oil filter wrench. Still need to pack rags under the filter so oil doesn't leak down to the starter motor, that oil spillway thing is not sealed well against the block. Name:  AK673.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  49.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Why not use a simple strap wrench?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I have an assortment of everything. The strap wrench (have 3 sizes of them) requires a lot of room to tighten & torque. It can be used, but very awkward for this application. My riding lawnmower requires a strap wrench, because there is no room is left for a ratchet.

Stubby ratchet with socket seems perfect for me. Like everyone has said, it doesn't need to be torqued much. My arm doesn't fit well enough to torque by hand only on the Mirage. For someone else it may be different.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm still confused why we're using wrenches at all?

(blank signature)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-21-2019),poorman1 (12-21-2019)