Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
I'm still confused why we're using wrenches at all?
Didn't I just answer that in the previous post?

Due the location of the oil filter (in relation to the radiator hose) I can't tighten it. My ability to grip it well enough to get it off is even worst. A short handle ratchet and socket makes it so simple. I already have these tools. I don't mind walking over to my tool box and getting them. I rather use the tool and work from the top (standing up) than be under the car & reach up from the bottom.

If hand tightening/removing works for you, that's great!

There's no easier filter to reach than a Subaru. My last three oil filters have been free compliments of Subaru. First one was a free oil consumption test. Second one came with the free short block replacement. Third one was a result of the new engine having to pulled out again to fix a head gasket that was leaking (not done right during installation). I just went out the garage tonight. I couldn't twist the oil filter off by hand. When it comes time to change oil, I could use my strap oil wrench, my socket wrench, a large pipe wrench, or just jab a large screw driver through it & twist. I'll use the socket. It's paid for, simple, & will get the job done.