Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a great project and I really admire your creativity. I would love to see a picture of everything folded up and see how much space it occupies in the trunk for storage. And you once again prove that hatchback is king compared to a sedan with trunk.

A "frugal" person could take it one step further and park in the parking lot of a major Hotel chain. Use their free WiFi and even eat a free breakfast. Now...before you start down-voting me or calling it dishonest you may want to consider that 30% or more of the free breakfast gets thrown in the garbage. So you arent really costing the hotel any money.

But you have to be a Good Actor to walk in there and pretend to be a "REAL guest" to obtain the WiFi password and eat the free breakfast. Even utilize their free swimming pool and gym......Okay....maybe that is pushing it too far =) Heh-Heh

But have you guys ever considered a contingency plan for if you ever fell on "hard times" or even a scenario as simple as "Wife throws you out"? What would you do? Where would you go to sleep? Live in a hotel that costs $80 per day? That would get real expensive in a time where you need to CONSERVE your money. It is a life-skill called resourcefulness that I am speaking about. It is a survival skill that if you start thinking about it today and get creative......It could come in real handy in the future. But dont wait until the shet hits the fan. Plan it out in advance and this way you will BE READY.

I live in Florida and we get hit with many hurricanes. I once was without electricity and Internet for over 21 days. I had no contingency plan and suffered greatly. If i had no plan beforehand and scrambled to utilize free Wifi from libraries, Starbucks, Panera and so forth. I had nothing to eat except protein powder, water and bread. It was a miserable experience; dont let it happen to you. Start thinking and develop a PLAN. When you do stay and pay at a hotel make "notes" on the WiFi password and the lay out and that way you can go back and "act" like a paying customer.

Most people in USA, Canada and other wealthy countries are "too civilized". They have grown too dependent on "the System" to sustain them. But what happens when that system breaks down or is temporarily unavailable? Do you have the skills to survive? Roaches and rats have learned how to survive on the breadcrumbs of society's waste. Did you know that you can also do the same? No need to rob or kill people. Did you know that such survival is a learn-able skill? The only catch is that you have to learn and practice it BEFOREHAND.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Did you know that such survival is a learn-able skill?
    I think you would really appreciate backpacking (no cars to worry about!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Because you never when you gotta hit the backroads or be off the grid.

Name:  Mirage Offroad.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  98.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-25-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    This is a great project and I really admire your creativity. I would love to see a picture of everything folded up and see how much space it occupies in the trunk for storage. And you once again prove that hatchback is king compared to a sedan with trunk.

A "frugal" person could take it one step further and park in the parking lot of a major Hotel chain. Use their free WiFi and even eat a free breakfast. Now...before you start down-voting me or calling it dishonest you may want to consider that 30% or more of the free breakfast gets thrown in the garbage. So you arent really costing the hotel any money.

But you have to be a Good Actor to walk in there and pretend to be a "REAL guest" to obtain the WiFi password and eat the free breakfast. Even utilize their free swimming pool and gym......Okay....maybe that is pushing it too far =) Heh-Heh

But have you guys ever considered a contingency plan for if you ever fell on "hard times" or even a scenario as simple as "Wife throws you out"? What would you do? Where would you go to sleep? Live in a hotel that costs $80 per day? That would get real expensive in a time where you need to CONSERVE your money. It is a life-skill called resourcefulness that I am speaking about. It is a survival skill that if you start thinking about it today and get creative......It could come in real handy in the future. But dont wait until the shet hits the fan. Plan it out in advance and this way you will BE READY.

I live in Florida and we get hit with many hurricanes. I once was without electricity and Internet for over 21 days. I had no contingency plan and suffered greatly. If i had no plan beforehand and scrambled to utilize free Wifi from libraries, Starbucks, Panera and so forth. I had nothing to eat except protein powder, water and bread. It was a miserable experience; dont let it happen to you. Start thinking and develop a PLAN. When you do stay and pay at a hotel make "notes" on the WiFi password and the lay out and that way you can go back and "act" like a paying customer.

Most people in USA, Canada and other wealthy countries are "too civilized". They have grown too dependent on "the System" to sustain them. But what happens when that system breaks down or is temporarily unavailable? Do you have the skills to survive? Roaches and rats have learned how to survive on the breadcrumbs of society's waste. Did you know that you can also do the same? No need to rob or kill people. Did you know that such survival is a learn-able skill? The only catch is that you have to learn and practice it BEFOREHAND.
    If that scenario went down in Miami, the apocalypse, first thing Id do is park my Mirage in the middle of Overtown, strip butt naked, smoke some bath salts, stand on the top of my Mirage with a machete, cut a goat's throat in the middle of the street, and start doing a voodoo dance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If that scenario went down in Miami, the apocalypse, first thing Id do is park my Mirage in the middle of Overtown, strip butt naked, smoke some bath salts, stand on the top of my Mirage with a machete, cut a goat's throat in the middle of the street, and start doing a voodoo dance.
    Why??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Northern Tool has some cheap lightweight trailers & one is on sale for $199.99 now.
    https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...owing+trailers

You may or not be interested, but thought I would share these.
    The aluminum trailer looks nice and the price is amazing, with free shipping, but it's only rated for 45mph top speed.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not going to store it in the trunk. I want to keep the trunk for fishing gear, Cook stove, food, waders, etc. And keep all of it out of sight.
    Will have to store fishing rods in passenger compartment or inside the body of the kayak on the roof.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The aluminum trailer looks nice and the price is amazing, with free shipping, but it's only rated for 45mph top speed.
    Meh thats to satisfy lawyers. The harbor freight trailers say 55 and I've pulled one at 75-80 with no issues. You could easily tow that at 60-65 with no issues

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Hello Pryme,

I agree....but...
    The platform is the bare minimum in specs. Just, and I mean, just, strong enough.
    Each shelf is spec to support 200 lbs. I weigh 225.
    In keeping with the efficiency theme of the Mirage, I wanted the lightest, most efficient platform possible. The platform goes up and down quickly. With no weight penalty(this can't possibly weigh 10lbs) it can remain in car all spring, summer, and early fall during fishing/camping season. This way, I can hit the road in a hurry to fish and if necessary catch a few hours shut-eye or a full night comfortable sleep before I drive back to civilization/job.
    When carrying passengers is necessary(an extreme rarity) it can be disassembled and put back in the house quickly and rear seat cushion re-installed just as fast. When shelves are stored in rear seat area, the front passenger seat is available.
    Next phase of project is to find a comfortable mattress or RV-type cushions, to go on top of platform for sleeping.
    The rug in the pictures is just for demo purposes.

Your videos( 3 part honest review) on the Mirage, solidified my belief in this modern day Colt. Watched them over and over. Your videos and additional input from Mark along with this forum convinced me to acquire my 2019.
    Thanks very much for the kind words. Glad the videos helped you decide. Keep us posted with pics of finished project. One thing to keep in mind is it might be rated for 200lbs each shelf but that is with four equal length legs on a hard floor like concrete either a static load on them. You have the legs at different lengths and a sleeping person of 225lbs will be tossing and turning on this bed and will put some directional loads all over it.