Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping platform in Mirage (car camping)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Meh thats to satisfy lawyers. The harbor freight trailers say 55 and I've pulled one at 75-80 with no issues. You could easily tow that at 60-65 with no issues
    I suspect you're right but I don't want to be on the wrong end of some lawyer proclaiming my total disregard for human life pulling my trailer @60 mph, thereby causing the 500 car interstate pileup that killed 40.....you get the idea.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Pryme (12-18-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why??
    Its the apocalypse man lol. You still going to be moderating this forum when the lake catches on fire a second time?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its the apocalypse man lol. You still going to be moderating this forum when the lake catches on fire a second time?
    Good point.

And we now return to our discussion of a fine, efficient fishing trip rig.

For more examples, refer to this thread: Mirage pulling a camper trailer
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-18-2019 at 10:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    In Canada pulling that stunt would likely get you a stern talking to, or worst case maybe a trespass charge.

Am I right in saying the same stunt in some US counties will land you with a long list of felony charges? Theft, fraud, impersonation, trespass, etc etc.
    Its the same "criminal charges" as you say if one pulled the stunt in USA. 90% of time they would tell you to leave, maybe instruct the employees to ban you from coming back. 18% of the time they may call the Police who would probably not arrest you; rather would tell you to stop doing that and that you are not allowed back at that hotel or else you would get a trespass warning.

Of course, if the Police arrived they would run your prior background for outstanding warrants and would search your car. But if you are a very sketchy looking person or fit the profile of an "undesirable person" they may plant drugs on you or "invent" a charge to put you in jail. Thats why I would not recommend any of the tactics in my post to any person that looks "unsavory".

And in general if confronted you should act nice, polite, apologetic and be "on the way out the door". A good excuse may sound like "My stepdad who is an alcoholic" told me to meet him at the hotel....I guess he never showed up and is not answering his phone....Im sorry for the mix-up......I thought he was already check-in....Oh, wait, He is not here?.......Oh, okay....Maybe I am at the wrong Holiday Inn.....Okay, sorry about that. Well, I guess I will just head out then. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-19-2019)

Bristol - any update on your Mirage camping rig?

Have you used and/or refined it? How'd it go?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This Corona lockdown has put a cramp in my ability to do further work on platform.
    The weather, we had snow only two weekends ago, has not helped either.
    I have only to choose mattress material.
    There is a foam manufacturer/distributor here locally but can't make in-store visits only online purchases. I want try it out in person. So that's another holdup.
    Governor (Michigan)even has the state campgrounds shut down.
    The only platform work needed will be to fill in the inside of the L-shape as I will be sleeping on a diagonal.
    I am anxious to continue and will update as soon as I have made some progress.
    I have though, made a few day- long fishing trips to test my kitting out of the trunk area for camping/ fishing/ chuckbox/cooler gear, etc..
    gear. Will update for that as well.
    At this point, hauling only one kayak up top on the cargo carrier. I haul it upside down, laying flat, for best gas mileage. I am pleased to have managed 42 mpg with kayak in this position.
    I am sure if I haul it, and even an additional kayak in the upright position(on their sides) the gas mileage will be far worse. I will be happy to get in the low to mid 30s mpg.
    Last edited by Bristol; 05-26-2020 at 04:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    This Corona lockdown has put a cramp in my ability to do further work on platform.
    The weather, we had snow only two weekends ago, has not helped either.
    I have only to choose mattress material.
    There is a foam manufacturer/distributor here locally but can't make in-store visits only online purchases. I want try it out in person. So that's another holdup.
    Governor (Michigan)even has the state campgrounds shut down.
    The only platform work needed will be to fill in the inside of the L-shape as I will be sleeping on a diagonal.
    I have though, made a few day- long fishing trips to test my kitting out of the trunk area for camping/ fishing/ chuckbox/cooler gear, etc..
    gear. Will update for that as well.
    At this point, hauling only one kayak up top on the cargo carrier. I haul it upside down, laying flat, for best gas mileage. I am pleased to have managed 42 mpg with kayak in this position.
    I am sure if I haul it, and even an additional kayak in the upright position(on their sides) the gas mileage will be far worse. I will be happy to get in the low to mid 30s mpg.
    Despite the challenges of being locked down, it's nice to get an update on your multiple projects related to camping, kayaking, & fishing. I was just thinking about your projects the other day, & I am glad someone asked you about it.

Look forward to more updates in the future! Stay safe & healthy in the meantime!

Bristol -thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    The weather, we had snow only two weekends ago
    Same here - and today we have a heat warning (32C / 90F)! Is it safe to put away my winter coat yet?

Sorry if you posted this already, but how tall are you?

Please do. Looking forward to more.

That sounds about right. Increased frontal area + higher drag coefficient is a b*#&%!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  FC7CACB0-FDBB-4AFB-B4D3-7478CCD87A02.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  98.5 KBUgh. Potentially off topic, since I didn't use a sleeping platform, but I just road tripped to New Orleans from Minneapolis and slept only in the driver's seat. My partner who has more experience with these sort of things slept in the passenger seat. I found it to be more comfortable (less uncomfortable) if I took off the headrest and turned it around...then used a blanket or something to build up edges so my head wouldn't roll off the headrest. It's been a rough Fri, Sat and Sun night. I got 2 hours of sleep in my bed last night.
    (edit: added pic...the pic wasn't sideways on my phone...the dog in the photo is not my partner that's her dog)
    Name:  6665205B-EEB6-4178-85C3-5F0AC769CB61.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  94.3 KB
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 05-26-2020 at 05:19 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Road trip that long I've done the rest stop sleep over myself. One time I woke up at 4am to find a creepy dude staring at me thru my front windshield, freaked me out bad. I reached for my glovebox hoping to give an indication I had a piece in there, I didnt, but the hobo saw that and took off. After that I'll stay the night in a $50 a night roach motel if I have too. The key is to just sleep on top of the covers with your clothes on lol.